AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After Looking at the threads I noticed that there is a thread for PVR recorders. I'm a newbie and therefor don't know If I should be asking this question in that thread or this one.

In a nutshell, I have a VCR/DVD-RW recorder by JVC. I also receive HDTV over the air. At least I think most DTV that is 720p and up is called HDTV. Even though my JVC Recorder system was one of the most expensive models at ABC warehouse, it has proven it's self to be a buggy system. As far as I can tell there is no firmware update for the model I have. While this particular model is not sold on Amazon.com I did manage to find one similar. After reading through the customer reviews, I noticed that other people had issues too. The first thing that went out on the unit is the VCR. (No big deal because VCR tapes have been replaced with just about every other media that is out there today) But now the DVD side is going bad. If you record an hour long show you'll probably be ok. But if you need to record to for two hours the system probably won't shut down, and you'll only get an hour of recording. I know the Disc is not filling up. This system does not use a hard drive to record too. I guess it just records to memory and then puts it on the DVD. I don't know how these things work.

What I want is something I can record to DVD-RW for Playback later. I want one that has an internal tuner, so that I don't haft to use a separate tuner box. The problem with a tuner box is that it makes things complicated and if you need your recorder to automatically change channels for another show you can't. Is there anything out there like this????

·
Registered
14,549 Posts
If you want a device with a tuner and built-in optical drive then you need to be looking here: http://www.avsforum.com/f/106/dvd-recorders-standard-def but the availability of devices is limited. That is your only option for recording to a disc within the same unit. DVRs now record directly to internal memory storage, not directly to optical discs. Optical disc is just a way to backup something already recorded on the internal storage.

If you want to record from cable then your options are a TiVo brand DVR or building a HTPC. The HTPC route will allow you to record to disc but it requires more technical assembly and consideration. TiVo is now the only retail brand that can record cable as far as I know, but you'll have to figure out a way to record to a separate device with that.

There are other cheap OTA DVRs available but most are limited in functionality.

Take a look at this chart for options: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1460149/2014-list-of-consumer-available-dvrs#post_23007941

1 - 2 of 2 Posts