AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built this drop for under $14 including all bolts and custom length threaded pipe. The after-market mount costs $250. I'm sure something similar could be done for almost any projector.

I went to the local Handyman Hardware. It might be just a local shop, but I imagine you could do the same at Home Depot. I picked up 2 x 1" galvanized pipe flanges and had a two foot length of 1" pipe cut and threaded. The two foot length was in the middle of the DWIN mount range and would allow plenty of room to move the screen to where I wanted to mount it. I picked up 8 x 3" lag screws and some short 1/4" machine screws and nylon locking nuts. All of the above cost about $13.20. I then rubbed down the metal with vinegar (rubbing alcohol works too) to remove any oil so we could paint the pipe.

I then removed the top plate of the DWIN mount and measured for the center of the predrilled holes. Then marked where the holes for the flange go and drilled 1/4" holes with a titanium tip drill bit. Then added an extra 2x6 block to the existing 2x6 joist with 3" lag bolts from the attic. Then used 4 x 1/4" lag screws to attach the top flange to the ceiling in the joist and the new block. Then attached the other flange to the mount plate, reassembled the mount and attached the projector. Screwed the pipe into the ceiling flange and then screwed the proctor up, connected everything, and was good to go.

I mounted at almost the full 2.1 times the width. But the zoom on the projector seems to be able to go bigger than that if wanted. Meaning a longer throw. I'll recheck the zoom tomorrow.

And here's a couple of pictures taken while making the drop mount.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The above was taken before the paint was touched up. The following is a picture of the drilled mount plate and unpainted pole with flanges attached.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Everything is connected and running. 123" screen is up, Halo C2 and Parasound HCAs working great. Had to lift the ground on one of the amps. Sending the scaler 480i for now. Waiting for the new Samsung DVI-DVD player to come out so I can send it 720p. Brent, if you want to stop by and have a look, you are more than welcome to. Just give me a call. After all, this was supposed to be your dealer demo. I have a simple idea to solve the light leaking out of the lens onto the ceiling that I could use an opinion on. We had the projector up by friday night and the all the rest of the equipment and the screen up on Saturday. Friday we watched a little of the Matrix without sound on my flat dark blue walls. Blues were strong but this projector is bright enough to do it.

For those wondering, I don't think this projector needs a grey screen at all. I have a 1.3 Studiotek and the darks are definitely dark. The picture is nice and bright and colorful as well. The projector came with a bit too much green out of the box, but that was simple to fix. I really think the colors on this projector were brighter and better looking than the colors out of a Sharp 10K. But until the room is totally complete and we setup some kind of shoot-out, we won't really be sure about that. My uncle is building a theater with a 1.3 Studiotek and the Sharp 10K. I may take it to his house one day to compare the two side-by-side.

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
Quote:
I really think the colors on this projector were brighter and better looking than the colors out of a Sharp 10K. But until the room is totally complete and we setup some kind of shoot-out, we won't really be sure about that. My uncle is building a theater with a 1.3 Studiotek and the Sharp 10K. I may take it to his house one day to compare the two side-by-side.
Oh, PLEASE DO IT!

These are the two projectors that are at the top of my list....I am leaning strongly towards the DWIN, but would sure like to hear someone elses opinion on a direct A/B comparison!

We will all look forward to a more detailed review on the TV3 once you have spent some more time with it.

How do you like the C2 (another potential purchase for me)?

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've played with the projector more than the C2. Too busy watching movies to read the manual for the C2. I will have to start playing around with the C2 this week. But it sounds incredible so far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.