AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new toys just arrived today and I have not even hooked them up yet.

I currently have a Sony G-70 with a HTPC which the Dwin might replace. I am using a 122" 16x9 screen 1.3 gain. Any pointers from current TV3 owners??

I will write more later after I have a chance to play.

How do I insert pics for everyone to see??

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A. Vandelay

You are more than welcome to come by, where are you located?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Dwin is a great unit. The projector is very smooth, very CRT like. Out of all of the units which I have tried I would say that the Dwin, Sharp and Marantz are at the top, the Dwin is nice due to the dual box set-up. The colors are great and the scaler/switch box is easy to use. From 1x screen width the pixels are gone and there are no jaggies.

I am having issues with the D1. The unit is hooked up using the DVI to the Dwins DVI input. The contrast ratio is really bad. If I hook up my Sony DVD via components the picture is much better. I have tried to adjust the settings on that input with the Dwin and I cannot get the D1 as good as the Sony DVD. Has anyone else run into this problem?

Help!

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
You attach pictures below where you write your original message or when you click Post Reply.

I love my new DWIN. Made my own drop mount ($14) for my 12 foot ceiling and posted pictures in another thread. Setup is simple, mine had a little too much green out of the box but that was fixed easily. No other real pointers I can think of. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

·
Registered
855 Posts
DarinP had the same contrast problem with the D1 and an HT1000 in this thread. (pretty far through, at 30 per page - page 7 - 9) He changed something in the projector's setup and was able to adjust the brightness and contrast to match the player's output.
Quote:
I figured out the issues with the HT1000. I just had to uncheck the color temperature box to enable the controls that let me get the black level right.
I hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Huckster,

I read that post as well but I cannot find any controls in the DWIN.

Toxarch,

You say that your unit had too much green and you fixed it, how was this resolved?

When I try to attach a pic using the browse button I can find the file, when I go to preview the post the pic does not show up and the browse window is empty. I am using 600x800 which is as low of a resolution as my camera will shoot. What is the max file size?

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
The picture gets lost when you preview the post. Don't preview and just post the reply directly. Or, you have to reattach the picture when you preview.

I lowered the green by dropping the color from 50 to about 40. Colors look great now.

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Toxarch-

Would you or another TV3 owner do me a favor and measure the diameter of the DVI cable and also the round cable connector. I recall Jeff said it was 3/4 inch on the connector but just wanted to verify that. Also what color is the cable jacket.

Thanks!

·
Registered
309 Posts
The cable is about 3/4 of an inch... black in color..

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I couldn't my hole saw attachment while installing my projector. So I drilled a 3/4 hole and the round connector went through easily. The cable is even smaller (1/4 inch?). It's all black. If you want exact measurements, I can try and get them if you really need it.

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
"The cable is about 3/4 of an inch... black in color.."

That's huge! I would have expected 3/16-3/8 " Like most 1394 cable

I want to drill a couple of holes and really need a diameter measurement closer than 3/4 " +1/4" -1/2"

I want to feed the DVI cable first and then know if I have enough clearance to feed a power cable through the same hole.

Also, does the power cable NEED to be (not should be) far away from the DVI cable? I will probably test this before mounting permanently anyway.

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
"I think it's the connector that's ~3/4"; the cable itself is ~1/4". "

Cool! That will work. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Isn't that what I already said?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I finally got the unit up and running last night after a bit of a hassle, It turns out that my DVI cable was bad. After replacing the cable and doing a bit of tweaking the picture is phenomenal.

My theater contains the following: Sony VPH-G70q, Custom HTPC, Vutec 1.3 gain white screen, Sony ES electronics, Acoustic Research Phantom speakers and an Infinity Dual 12" powered sub-woofer. I am looking at replacing the Sony and HTPC with the Dwin TV3 and Bravo D1 for the reasons below.

The “theater†is in my front living room. I have white walls, which is a killer for contrast so I have never taken full advantage of the G70. The 122†16x9 permanent screen is attached to the wall opposite the G70 and is surrounded by panels, which are covered in black light absorbing fabric, these panels extend from the screen up to the ceiling and down to the floor and about four feet on either side. I have windows on the same wall as the G70, just below it, so watching movies in the daytime is out of the question. Watching movies at night is fine, as long as I can convince the girlfriend not to turn on lights as she travels through the house. All and all it is a nice set-up, which does not consume the room or hinder the houses looks. Being that the room is wider that it is deep means that I can have many people over for Super bowl and they can all sit comfortably.

After seeing the DLP, LCOS and LCD products available at CES I liked the DWIN due to its size, two-box solution, picture and feature set. We recently became a Dwin dealer in Phoenix and placed our order in February.

I intend the Dwin to be a Dual-purpose unit, one for possible replacement of the G-70 and the other for demonstrations for our customers. The unit needed to be portable enough and simple enough that I could bring it to a customers house and they could operate it…which a CRT and HTPC this would be nearly impossible.

Given that I have used CRT’s for many years I am very picky, I may not have the best contrast but my G70 picture is VERY good, after MANY hours of tweaking. I have to say that the Dwin with about 1 hour of tweaking is very close to the Sony. I will try to compare the Dwin to the G70.

Ease of set-up:

This category goes to the Dwin. The CRT takes forever to get tweaked, and then once it is done I am always seeing things that I do not like and re-tweaking. This was fun at first, but now it is just annoying to others and myself. I find that I spend as much time “perfecting†the picture as I do watching movies, and this is not the point of having a theater.

The Dwin was great to set-up. Simply plug in the components, zoom and focus. I spent about one hour with Sound and Visions version of AVIA setting the contrast brightness, and that was it. The Dwin detects what the input is 480i, 720p etc and automatically scales the image to match, what a great feature. With the Sony if I want to try a different resolution I have to set it using Powerstrip then spend the next three hours re-tweaking the picture. With the Dwin I have a picture that is 95% of the Sony and with almost no time.

Brightness:

To my eyes they are very similar. The Dwin does seem slightly brighter, but still not bright enough to watch in a lit room. One advantage of the Dwin is that I can zoom the picture smaller and have a picture that is watch able during the day. With a CRT you cannot due this for fear of burning the CRT’s.

Contrast:

This goes to the Sony. Even in my room, the Sony has much better blacks. I can hold my hand in front of the screen on both projectors and the Sony’s blacks match the unused area of the screen. With the Dwin my hands shadow is much darker than the projected image. A Firehawk screen might help with this and I will be ordering samples today.

Color:

This goes to the Dwin. The colors are very good. Although the Sony has the ability to adjust the RGB separately and the Dwin does not, the Dwins colors right out of the box are excellent, very natural, saturated, and vibrant.

Tweak ability:

This goes to the G70 hands down. If you are a tweaker do not get the Dwin, at this point they will not give out the access codes to tweak things like grayscale, which does limit your ability to get the best out of the unit. Although, I personally do not think that the unit needs to be tweaked to satisfy 99% of people and it is very good out of the box. With the Sony you are in tweaker heaven, or hell depending on how you look at it.

Rainbow effect:

Obviously the Sony wins, as it has none. I am VERY sensitive to rainbows and I cannot watch any of the 2x speed machines, they give me eyestrain in about 2 minutes. The Dwin is not bad as far as rainbows go, I can still see them every once in a while but they do not give me eyestrain or headache. I watched several movie scenes last night and the only time that I had issues was with things like a thin lighter colored object moving fast on a dark background. Even when moving my head back and fourth fast did not cause the issue.

The D1 Player compared to the HTPC:

I think that the HTPC has a slightly better picture due to the ability to tweak the picture with TheaterTek. The D1 has a great picture, no ringing or noticeable artifacts, just a very smooth film like image. The only thing that I can think of that Limits the D1 is the lack of color controls and features that the HTPC gives you. Also, one of my favorite features of the HTPC is the ability to save movie starts and by pass the menus on the DVD, this I will miss. What I will not miss about the HTPC is the endless hours of getting programs to work properly all to have them mysteriously stop for no reason at times.

Overall:

Say good buy to the Sony and the HTPC. The ease of use and great picture coupled with the compact size and lower fan noise are a seller for me. I am truthfully tired of tweaking, now I just want to enjoy movies, after all isn’t that what it’s all about?

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Nice report, Cary. I was surprised at your color going to the dwin, otherwise I was not surprised by your observations.

I have an ECP4000 here that sits on the floor and I agree and empathize with your time spent tweaking. I do plan to keep the ECP4000 for general TV viewing, SD stuff, at least until I get a handle on my bulb costs for the Dwin. I expect to take delivery on it sometime in the next few weeks. Haven't received a ETA date yet. Sorry to hear about the cable being bad.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Thanks for a wonderful report Cary & welcome to the digital world. I'm sure you'll love your DWIN, I hear nothing but great reviews on it.

I am a proud owner of a Sharp 10K myself.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would like to post some pics. When posting a reply, as I am now, I can click on the attach file button at the bottom of the page; it finds the file and appears to load. But when I submit the reply or preview the reply the pic is not there. THe pics are 640 x 480 so size should not be an issue.

Any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.