AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I can't conplain. It gave me nearly a dozen good years first matched with a Lexicon-MC-1 and more recently with the awesome Classe CP-SST. I have been out of the amp market for 12 years, so I need some serious help with what I should replace it with. What I loved about the Earthquake was that it gave me the "umph" that I needed for action movies, while delivering smooth, crisp, powerful tones from my extensvie jazz collection of cds. I didn't have to compromise between movies and music, and don't want to in the future. In my 25 ft x 30ft theater/listening room, I have Martin Logan Odyessy Towers in the front, a Martin Logan "Theater" center speaker, Martin Logan Aerius mini-towers in the rear and Legacy Studios hanging from the ceiling as surround speakers. I listen to CD's on a Cambridge Audio 840 C and Blue Rays are viewed through a Denon 3800BCDi player to an Infocus Screenplay 777 projector. (Thanks Alan, the Screenplay 777 is still kicking!) For now, I'm using an Outlaw 770 for all 7 channels so I have sound, but it is not the permanent answer. Actually, I was surprised how good it sounds, but there is a brightness to the music that i can't take for too long. I have spent the day online reading about various amps. Thus far, I'm intrigued by the Ourlaw 7900, the Anthem MCA 50 and the Sunfire TGA-7401. The mere thought of 400 watts per channel has my mind dancing. I could go with a 5 channel amp and use the Outlaw 770 for the surrounds. as i did with the Earthquake or get a 7 channel beast. I would really appreciate any thoughts from audiophiles on the amps that I have mentioned, what might best match with my current equipment and are there some other amps that I should be considering. I want to make sure that the amp is not the weak link in my system.

And now, I have to figure out how to bury the 150 pound Earthquake beast.

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
Unless that thing burnt up you might try getting it fixed.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/20875730

Unless that thing burnt up you might try getting it fixed.

I agree with this. You might find that nothing makes you happy like the old amp obviously did.

edit- For most amp issues, it probably wouldn't cost more then $500 (+tons of shipping costs!!) to get an amplifier fixed

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
You could move to the 7 channel Cinenova. How about Wyred 4 Sound. Tons of power for those ML's

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys, thanks for the suggestions. I'm leaning towards the Outlaw 7900. I was checking into the Lexicon ZX-7 and found several people noting that the Lex is pretty much a clone of the Outlaw 7900, with both made by ATI. I love the idea of the 300 watts per channel, and $3500 price seems like a lot of value, especially considering that the Lex lists for twice as much. I would consider fixing the Earthquake, but man how do u lug a 150 pound monster to a repair shop? Plus it is 12 years old. Hard for me to justify putting money into it and i like the idea of getting something new. it's been about a year since I retired my MC-1 for the Classe. I am still intrigued by the Sunfire. But I'm concerned that their amps are soooo different from virtually everyone elses. If their process is so good, why aren't the other manufacturers copying it? I also remember many years ago reading about quality problems with Sunfire products. That may have changed, but it sticks in your mind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.