AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after many trials and errors, i've come back to that ol' adage; "Keep It Simple Silly!" Borrowing from many threads here, it seems the easiest way to make a masking system is by getting the 1/2" thick foam board from Lowes. It comes in 4'x8' sheets for around 9 bucks. It's easy to cut, but, if you have access to a bandsaw it makes for a much cleaner cut. What I did was cut 2 pieces 8" tall by 94 7/8" wide,(that's the width of my Carada 104" screen). I then cut 2 pieces 2" tall by 90 5/8"~ish wide piece (thats the inside width of the screen). I centered the shorter ones inside the longer ones then lined the longer straight edges up and glued them. Next use spray adhesive to cover the backside of the foam board and cover them in velvet. Now, that was easy, right? Well, after searching this site and others, it seemed the most difficult thing was mounting them to your beautiful screen without destroying it. I've tried everything, trust me. I tried small pullies, tension rods, gravity, everything. The simplest solution evaded me for months, until I went back to Lowes on a mission, a mission that lead me to a solution so simple that I curled up in the floor at Lowes and cried. There it was, the device that had eluded my mind for sometime, a freaking $3 clip.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Pulleys and gravity didn't work for me either. I love the simplicity of your idea. I too found that simple works best.

I had very good results with tension rods. What made you go away from them?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey /forum/post/17046123

Pulleys and gravity didn't work for me either. I love the simplicity of your idea. I too found that simple works best.

I had very good results with tension rods. What made you go away from them?

Thanks.

I wanted something that didn't have to be there all the time. I had some cheap tension rods that I didn't trust that much. I did find some very nice but way more expensive ones that would have worked very well. I just didn't want to fork over anymore cash to make it work.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
The one's that worked for me came from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. The kits cost $30 each, and I chucked the baskets and coat hook attachments.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1169586

I may at some point rebuild the masks now that I've got a couple of assembly procedures figured out better. If I do I'm going to do them with this stuff,

http://www.fpi-protostar.com/flock.htm

but the Triple Black velvet from Sy's has worked out fine.

It's quite the ordeal figuring out what works best for each person's setup. A crapload of trial and error and a few bucks along the line, eh?

·
Premium Member
3,274 Posts
Bloodta I like your masking solution and looking to do the same. Just curious as to the need for the inside boards since the outside boards cover the full width of the frame? Also clips at the top but none at the bottom, how is that implemented?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I really like this idea and have picked up the materials today to make this mask. I'm curious if there is a particular reason to make masking on top and bottom of the current Carada screen, rather than just at the top or at the bottom. My projector has lens shift so wouldn't be easier/faster to shift the projected image towards the bottom and mask the top for that screen format? Moving one masking element rather than two? Is there something I'm not considering?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts