AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a NEC XG 110LC off of ebay. The item number is 5788895113. I paid a total of $975 with shipping. Now, I have a problem.

I will start from the beginning. I saw the projector and was interested in moving up to a LC. I did my usual, as most here do, and emailed him for tube condition and pics if possible. I told him to rate them based on the nine3media chart (I am switching to the much better one on Curts site). He did and told me they were perfect. I was skeptical, of course. I figured that if they were all "7"s then maybe I could live with it. I emailed him again and asked about shipping. He said that using freight wouldn't be a problem and included his phone number. I saw the email about 15 minutes before the auction closed. So, I called him. I asked him about the tubes again and told him to remove the lenses. It took him a couple of minutes and he said they were 10's. He also stated that the projector came out of his girlfriends bank and was hardly used. He didn't have a remote, so he couldn't check the hours. He did say that it should have less than 2000 hours on them. With this info, I went ahead and bid. I then set up shipping and told him how to crate and ship it.

Now the good part. I go to pick it up and see that he bolted it to a pallet and put a plastic bag over it. I was shocked, but fortunately no damage (Thanks Watkins and Freightquote!). I bring it home and remove the lenses. They were perfect all right. Perfectly toast! The green sets new standard for burn with red and blue probably around "5"s. Checking the hours, I found that it has 9300 hours on it in 7 years. I was a little agitated. I could have dealt with replacing one or maybe two tubes, but right now I am not sure I want to stretch it to all three. So, I called him and he didn't answer. I left a message. I then emailed him with pics of the tubes and said that we need to discuss this. That was Monday. I still have not heard back from him and now his phone is off.

Now, I could use some advice on how to proceed from the ebay experts out there. How should I handle this? Should I continue to try to get in touch with him? Should I leave negative feedback and be done with it? I noticed he hasn't left me feedback yet. Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated. I guess I need to email Curt about those $50 tubes.:)

Ericglo

·
Registered
357 Posts
OUCH, those tubes are nasty. The only sensible solution is to track this guy down and let him know what a toasty tube across the side of the face feels like.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Feedback of 12? I think you misspelled "enema" in the subject line.

Sorry man, but it looks like you got pooned.

I was blindly lucky when I bought my BG801, the tubes were in brand new "10" condition and the seller knew less than I did (at the time, MUCH less now.) Of course, there were 42000 chassis hours and about six charcoaled resistors on the LVPS but then I lucked out again and was handed an identical PJ with ~8000 hours.

What's the value of a 110LC plus the purchase price of (new, better) tubes? Did you really get burned badly? (Not being a smarta$$ here, I'm ignorant of anything besides my little old ES barco's.)

·
Registered
707 Posts
The dood said the tubes were 10's or perfect more then once and even over the phone. That's just plum low.

His feedback is barely 92%.

Sorry, but I just could not help but laugh when I saw the pictures of the tube. I feel sorry for you though.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
The seller has 12 feedback total and only 4 as a seller. You should be ecstatic that you got ANYTHING. I'd send him photos of the tubes and explain to him that the PJ is unusable because of the condition of the tubes. I'd try to get at least a partial refund. If you don't get it write it off as a learning experience. Put new tubes in the XG and you have a killer PJ that you don't really have too money much in.

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
However you paid, reverse the payment and file charges against this schmuck for wire fraud.

Over 300 bucks, it's a felony.

Don't forget to publish ALL the info you have on this cretin, including a link to the auction, etc.

And how could a smart guy like you have actually bought something expensive off of someone with a feedback rating that was that low?

That's one of those harsh lessons that life sometimes gives you.

CJ

·
Registered
12,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AaronNWilson,

I thought about a road trip to Chicago and not for Cliff's Open House.:)

jtnfoley and kschmit2,

I think VDC rebuilds are $495 and new are $595. That would put me at $2500 to $3000. I can install the tubes myself. It smells like crap, so I will probably tear it apart and clean it.

b3b0p,

Yeah, he repeated how good the tubes were. He even sent me a set of pics of the tubes with the power on. This was after the auction. I said how can you tell anything with an image on the screen. I have had multiple sellers do that. I guess they want to show that it works.

Terry,

I asked him that and he said he misplaced the remote. I figured he was just going to make a couple of extra bucks on the sale of that. No biggy, if the tubes would have been good. Here is the kicker. That isn't his pics. Those pics are from your neighbor with another auction 5790629280. I would have bid on this one if I had the chance.

I read that thread. I am not as smart as Rummy and I guess this proves it.:rolleyes:

Phil,

I sent him emails with photos. I told him that we needed to discuss this. I even alluded to it during our intial conversation, if the tubes were no good. I am thinking I got pooned. Hell, I thought that I got pooned the second that the lenses came off and he didn't answer his phone. Of course, it may have been something I ate or I didn't follow Rummy's advice.:) He didn't have a problem answering his phone before.

Now, I guess we are at the stage I didn't want to go. He hasn't left me feedback. Do I leave negative feedback and let him retaliate? I know this can be a cat and mouse game, but I don't have much feedback and I don't want to ruin it.

Ericglo

·
Registered
12,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjohnson
And how could a smart guy like you have actually bought something expensive off of someone with a feedback rating that was that low?

That's one of those harsh lessons that life sometimes gives you.

CJ
I guess I am one the idiots in your location line.:D I got the impression that he was like me. A person who came across a deal and thought he could make some money off of it on ebay. Wait, that isn't like me.:) I mean it sounded legit. His girlfriends bank was selling it. He bought it and thought he got it at a steal of a price.

Ericglo

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Ericglo,

Ebay's feedback system doesn't work. He'll retaliate and it will hurt you as much as it does him. I never leave neg. feedback, and I suggest you do the same.

I don't think it's so bad. This situation is very salvageable. You could end up with $2,700-$2,800 in an XG 110LC with new tubes. No way I'd feel bad about that! :)

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
I would leave him EXTREMELY NEGATIVE feedback, and damn the retaliation - but I only have a feedback of 4, so I'd just start again, no real loss as only an occasional ebay buyer.

Retube and you're good to go.

Beware the Ebay. Never spend more than you can afford to throw away as a "learning experience".

·
Registered
12,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Phil and Mark,

I guess that is the info I truly need. How can he legitimately leave me negative feedback? I paid him quickly and handled the shipping.

I know I can retube it and have a great pj. I just wasn't prepared to spend that much right now. I could probably break even or make a little profit in September. I guess I should mention that I have a 1292 that needs a new mobo and blue tube as well. I could always stay with my PG9+ and part the other two out for door number three.

Ericglo

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
Quote "How can he legitimately leave me negative feedback?"

He will wait for your feedback and if it's negitive he will leave you negitive feedback too. He doesn't much need to justify his reasons but leave-ing negitive feedback isn't hard to do.

Curt had a tip about timing the bad feedback so that the auction expires in the system before the other party can respond.

Anyway,.. XG is a nice pj and you should also count on re-tube-ing a used pj for the best possible pix.

-B

·
Registered
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuchuf
Interesting that he says he can't find the remote but yet shows one in his item pics.

I'd ask Dave-Roth what to do. He is an expert in the matters of ebay..... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/editp...ost&p=5993619#

Roll Eyes (Sarcastic)

Terry
My advice to you Terry would be to suck my C O C K! My advice to BH would be to get pics in the future, this is how I maintain a 100% mint tube projector stock.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
I feel for you. You obviously got porked. At the same time, it's just as much your fault for asking, with only 15 minutes left, to pull the lenses and report. I challange anyone here to put together the tools and get all three lenses off a XG in 15 minutes on demand and report back as to their condition. He did not pull the lenses. He just told you what you needed to hear. You should have insisted that he produce pictures of the tubes as soon as you decided you were interested. You jumped the gun. Just my .02 worth

Chip

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
Leave negative feedback. "Tubes were utterly wrecked and this clown lied through his teeth! BAD GUY, DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH HIM!"

LET him leave retailiatory feedback. Ebay will now allow it to be REMOVED in some cases,

if your complaint is justified. And it clearly would be.

Besides, you can reply to his feedback for all to see: "I asked for an honest answer on tube condition and nothing changes the fact that he LIED about it."

Incidentally, that green tube burn is by far the worst I have ever seen. If you send that

tube in to VDC, they will probably display it in their museum of oddities.

It's right up there with a disc brake rotor that's worn so far the internal ribs are showing.

CJ

·
Registered
12,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Chip,

I can remove the lenses in less than 5 minutes and did. He sent me the pics of the tubes with the power on about 3 minutes after the auction. I guess I should have had him send more pics with the power off and reneged on the auction. I realize that I am screwed on this. I just want the best advice on how to deal with the ebay part of it.

Also to everyone, if he copied the pics in his ad then why couldn't he have copied pics of good tubes from another ad?

CJ,

If your correct, then I will try to find the Curt post and do it that way. That sounds like the best course of action. If not, then I will probably have to go with Phil on this.

Ericglo

·
Registered
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo
Chip,

I can remove the lenses in less than 5 minutes and did. He sent me the pics of the tubes with the power on about 3 minutes after the auction. I guess I should have had him send more pics with the power off and reneged on the auction. I realize that I am screwed on this. I just want the best advice on how to deal with the ebay part of it.

Also to everyone, if he copied the pics in his ad then why couldn't he have copied pics of good tubes from another ad?

CJ,

If your correct, then I will try to find the Curt post and do it that way. That sounds like the best course of action. If not, then I will probably have to go with Phil on this.

Ericglo
You have 90 days to leave FB, You wait until the 90th day and leave FB at the very last minute. He will not be able to respond.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.