AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EE is my pet peeve so I thought Id give a report on how this artifact appears in each title as viewed on my system.

All viewing was done via an NEC 10PG 9" crt on a Vutec 11 foot wide scope screen source from a Radian driven HTPC with the TheaterTek software dvd player.

Shrek. 185:1 ratio. Perfect. No EE at all. What can I say. Perfection.

Tomb Raider. 235:1 ratio. Perfect. No EE at all. Outstanding.

Highly recommended.

Exit Wounds. 235:1 ratio. Some EE. Not bad but it is there.

Still not a bad print.

Driven. 235:1 ratio. It has EE. The worst of the bunch. Also has an overly contrast look to it. It takes some tweaking on this one.

Still not as bad some previous titles and very watchable.

Cats&Dogs. 185:1 ratio. Minor EE. Very good quality. Just a tad behind Shrek and Tomb raider in quality but still and outstanding transfer.

Because I am watching these on a large screen this artifact is more pronounce and is easily seen if it exists.

For those viewing these on a smaller screen you may disagree with my findings and give the above titles a higher rating.

All in all none were as bad as LOA and are quit enjoyable.

The EE at worst was only distracting in certain scenes.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I agree, I saw nothing a Shrek. (but someone else here did)

I won't be watching Tomb Raider until this weekend, but my system seems to be very forgiving when it comes to EE, so TR will look great.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Hi

Sorry but TRaider is not reference at all. While EE is not a real issue there imho, it's poor encoding ( too much stuff on the disc ), average colors, not great depth, artefacts, well, not a great Paramount ( nothing compared to RULES OF ENGAGEMENT for instance ). as for the sound... ok, no more.

SHRECK is great !

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Hi Alan

I'm just curious here, don't mean to doubt or attack your observations on your setup or anything like that :):

You say you don't see any EE in Shrek. In this thread however, JeffY points out how he sees EE, and he even provides a sample:

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/22bfc...HLBuOBYWE7fGb9

You have to look closely to see it, but i can see it in that screen shot, around the eggs and the branches.

If you look more closely at this particular scene using your setup, do you see it now that it has been pointed out? Just curious...

Now i'm gonna have to check on my setup if i see it too or not ..

I wonder if it has to do with Jeff being in England... could be that he has the R2 version and that it's different from the R1 version... does anybody know?

Gertjan

·
Premium Member
16,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Regarding Shrek as having edge enhancement, If that disc has edge enhancement I would give my right n.. to have every disc in my collection to have the same amount or lack of EE as Shrek.

I would like to know more about Jeffs system. Is he using a scaler with sharpness control. If so where does he have this set to. What dvd player is he using. Is that introducing EE.

I am using a HTPC with no sharpness control and everything is kept in the digital domain right up to the output. At home I have a SDI dvd player through the Vigatec. SDI offers the best possible picture. Razor sharp with no hint of EE being introduced by the player or cables.

Shrek is stunning.

Hi David

We all have different systems that add their own personality to the quality of the picture.

I found TR to be stunning. The blacks were not crushed and I had no digital compression artifacts at all. I was very impressed. Most important NO EE at all.

I do want to stay away from mentioning other picture parameters for that very reason. Everyone will have their own opinions as scene with their own eyes through their own system.

My post was aimed at EE only:)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hey Alan,

I have to ask...

When are you going to update your intro screen graphic with the Superbit "Fifth Element"? I can see too much EE!

Sorry, had to ask. :) Ignore this post.

-- Robert

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
hi Alan :)

agree but knowing now (I forgot :) ) that you use one killer combo such as the SDI player + SDI Vigatec, I can understand !!

must be awesome. I tested TR on my old lcd, my htpc and a friend on his widescreen tv. nothing like your system. argh!

cheers

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Hi, Alan,

Of course Shrek has no EE...I said so in my review of the DVD!

That fellow who claims to see EE on his system must be seeing electronic ringing rather than EE from his DVD...even if it is an R2 version. Cheers!... :D

-THTS

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
You guys must be blind ;) , I have the R1 version and it has plenty of EE. Have a look at the Princess sitting at the table in the Castle (near the end), look at the ringing around the table, terrible. Actually yes the transfer looks good, but it should have been much better, we are talking digital after all, surely there can be no excuse for EE and compression artefacts with a CGI film like Shrek.

Jeff

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
On my system I did not see or notice any EE or ringing in Shrek. I will cheek the screens in question tonight out of curiosity. If my DVD drive arrives today and I can get it installed. :(

·
Registered
219 Posts
I also see no EE. Interesting...

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I definitely saw EE in a lot of scenes, especially of the Princess in the distance. I even pointed it out to my Wife that if it weren't for that, the movie looked excellent! I'm using an HTPC with Radeon, 4.1 player w/7199 driver (at Gamma 6) on WinME and LCD projector on 8ft screen. Of course, I was watching the 16:9 disk.

I don't think I introduce any artificial EE from my system, as I've seen and have several disks that show very little or none, and my viewing has been consistent with reports (up until now :confused:).

On a lighter note, has anyone seen Swordfish? A little high on color saturation, but I don't remember seeing any EE, which made this DVD outstanding to watch. Disclaimer: If there was any, I may have been to involved with the movie to notice.

Carey

·
Premium Member
16,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi guys

Regarding Shrek...if there is any EE it is in very few select scenes and very minor. I still did not see any.

I do have an eye doctor appointment coming up though:)

One easy way to tell if a movie has EE from the get go is to check the opening credits. In the movie Driven the Text is full of EE and it takes on a video look. I knew this disc was in trouble as soon as I saw this but to my surprize the movie itself was very watchable. The EE was not that bad.

Another way is if the movie is in scope ratio 235:1 you can look at the black bands at the top/bottom. If the movie has EE you will see a white line or ringing above and below the picture information.

TPM is a good example of this.

This is the ultimate EE disc.

·
Registered
535 Posts
having checked shrek R1 on my HTPC, I noticed some sort of EE, especially vertical EE. But that's the tiny ringing that I found more disturbing. Of course, this is a very cool transfer (although not perfect to my eyes) and we would all be very happy to get such "horrible" :D DVDs all the time, especially from columbia.

·
Premium Member
16,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I love HDTV because it lacks this pesty artifact.

If the studios would just leave these discs alone there are some transfers on dvd that approch HD if not for the dame EE.

·
Premium Member
16,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I love HDTV because it lacks this pesky artifact.

If the studios would just leave these discs alone there are some transfers on dvd that approach HD if not for the dame EE.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I watched SHREK last night and mid way through I reaized I had not seen an EE. A stunning transfer. Fun, but overrated movie, IMHO.

Gertjan, the link you provide is one of those *** damned Yahoo links that won't let anyone in. What is the point of a link that 90% of the people cannot see?

I hate Yahoo. :mad:

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens

Gertjan, the link you provide is one of those *** damned Yahoo links that won't let anyone in. What is the point of a link that 90% of the people cannot see?
I'm there with you, i hate that darned Yahoo stuff too :mad:

It's not my picture that i tried to post, it's JeffY's picture. Maybe if you go to the other thread that i posted the link to, and then follow the original link to the picture that JeffY posted, maybe you'll be able to see the pic then.

Gertjan

·
Registered
139 Posts
About Shrek:

If there is no EE in this, what am I seeing on the tops of the cages here?

I can see this on my NECxg135lc driven by a Quadscan pro and this image which is a Windvd capture off my computer.

uncompressed Source: http://24.31.30.101:81/cap001.bmp

(1meg)

Are there multiple versions floating around?

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.