AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
 http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...Number=4974209

After much research here and HardForums, I came up with this.....found a Antec PSU 380W at Frys for $29.99 and a open-box DVD burner for $15 so my build is complete.

Received my case, mobo, CPU, and RAM last night. Still waiting on the HDD before I start the build.

Display would be to a 768p PJ native (120" screen) and the audio thru my Onkyo 505 AV via optical.

I already have a PS3 for BR movies and the main purpose of the HTPC is for upconverting regular DVD's and OTA TV. I already picked up a Hauppage TV card during the CircuitCity special 2 weeks ago for $39.99.

Though I'm contemplating selling my PS3 later on (once I finish MGS
) and buying a internal BR drive.

Would this system be enough for HD encoding (BR) if I ever decide to go with an internal BR drive?

How does the system look overall?

Thanks

Frag

·
Registered
5,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragster /forum/post/14243303

.....Though I'm contemplating selling my PS3 later on (once I finish MGS
) and buying a internal BR drive.

Would this system be enough for HD encoding (BR) if I ever decide to go with an internal BR drive?

How does the system look overall?

Thanks

Frag

I've got three AMD 780G mobo based htpc's now, one of which has the Liteon combo drive and I can playback both HD DVD And Blu Ray flawlessly with the setup. The AMD780G video chipset fully supports hardware acceleration making it that much easier for HD playback.

- Josh

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Same config that many have. It's substantially identical to mine, other than for the hard drive and case. I get flawless playback of any and all HD content. I have cranked up the CPU clock to 2.9 Ghz to make sure that I don't get stuttering when I have to play non-HA 1080p mkv files.

It's a very stable and capable setup. I get a lot of satisfaction from this build--more so than any of the other numerous PCs that I've put together.

I'm getting ready to build two more right now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts