AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some minor tweaking with AVIA and the picture quality is stunning. Great blacks, depth, color, no visible screen door at 1.5x screen width, no artifacts - thank you faroudja. And this is with a temporary screen (blackout material) while I wait for my firehawk. I am gushing I know- but it is that good. By the way, if you want to hear an incredible home theater sound system check out Linn. I have set up a Linn 5103 system controller, 5125 5x100 amp and Linn speakers (Ninka, Trikan, and 5110's). It is outstanding.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, component. I've tried the Cambridge Audio DVD300 and the XBOX DVD player with it. Both were outstanding. Both were interlaced. I let the faroudja do its magic. I am a very happy man. I also tried a Panny RP56 progressive, but found that sending an interlaced signal results in a better picture.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Cool... built it Faroudja--- why doesn't everyone do this and make all our lives simpler?

·
Registered
295 Posts
snathan,

At this very moment I am jealous beyond belief. You are one lucky HT fanatic!!!!!!!!!!! I have dreams about the TW100 all the time. I just need a little more time & $$$$ to get one. I also plan on sending it an interlaced DVD video signal and letting the Faroudja do it's job. Kind of seems like a waste to pay for something and not use it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by snathan
I did some minor tweaking with AVIA and the picture quality is stunning. Great blacks, depth, color, no visible screen door at 1.5x screen width, no artifacts - thank you faroudja. And this is with a temporary screen (blackout material) while I wait for my firehawk. I am gushing I know- but it is that good. By the way, if you want to hear an incredible home theater sound system check out Linn. I have set up a Linn 5103 system controller, 5125 5x100 amp and Linn speakers (Ninka, Trikan, and 5110's). It is outstanding.
snathan,

Just wonder if you would be so kind as to share with us your settings for TW100.

The following are my settings:

Black level: 0

White level: -2

Sharpness: -1

Color: +3

Tint: -1

Mode: Theater

Color Temp: 6500K

Flesh tone: 3

R Offset: +5

G Offset: -5

B Offset: +5

R Gain: +11

G Gain: +13

B Gain: +11

R Gamma: 2.2

G Gamma: 2.3

B Gamma: 2.2

Thanks.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MorpheusSzeto
My setting (VGA input B):

Black level: 3

White level: -9

Sharpness: -3

R Offset: -3

G Offset: -5

B Offset: +3

R Gain: -3

G Gain: -5

B Gain: +5

R Gamma: 2.4

B Gamma: 2.3

Regards,

Morpheus
Morpheus,

Thanks. I'll try your settings at home to see if the pic will look better.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by snathan
I did some minor tweaking with AVIA and the picture quality is stunning. Great blacks, depth, color, no visible screen door at 1.5x screen width, no artifacts - thank you faroudja. And this is with a temporary screen (blackout material) while I wait for my firehawk.
Snathan,

what kind of screen have you bought (aspect ratio, gain, etc..)?

I'm about to buy a TW100 (your enthusiastic review is what I was expecting to make the decision....) but I don't know which screen would be better for it.

Thanks.

Urbi

·
Registered
215 Posts
Where can I buy this in the U.S.? Any suggestions for cheaper projectors with the same types of features (16:9 capable, high resolution, etc.) for $1000-3000? $4500 in USD is a bit steep... unless it's less in the U.S.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Morpheus (snathan or anyone else interested),

Further to my earlier post, the following settings seem to work well with low contrast films or scenes, such as "The Haunting", "U-571" or "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon":

Black Level: 0/-2

White Level: -2

Sharpness: -2

Color: +2 to +4

Tint: -2

Color Temp: 6500K

Flesh Tone: 3

R Offset: +25

G Offset: +18

B Offset: +25

R Gain: +16

G Gain: +9

B Gain: +19

R Gamma: 2.2

B Gamma: 2.2

·
Registered
259 Posts
Lo Fi,

I think settings for VGA (input B) and Component (input A) are different. Your figures are too "high contrast" for my VGA input. Even when I use my figures, I lost lots of details in "Black Hawk Down"; I have to tune up Black level and tune down White level, Offsets, and Gains a LOT.

Or may be my taste is different from yours.

Regards,

Morpheus

P.S. I use 1.0 gain screen.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MorpheusSzeto
Lo Fi,

I think settings for VGA (input B) and Component (input A) are different. Your figures are too "high contrast" for my VGA input. Even when I use my figures, I lost lots of details in "Black Hawk Down"; I have to tune up Black level and tune down White level, Offsets, and Gains a LOT.

Or may be my taste is different from yours.

Regards,

Morpheus

P.S. I use 1.0 gain screen.
Morpheus,

Agree entirely. I think it also depends on the screen 'cause I'm using a 0.8 gain Da-Lite High Contrast grey screen.

Also, the last quoted settings are actually too contrasty for a film like "Driven". I'm still experimenting to try to find the "best" settings.

Keep in touch. Thanks for your earlier work and all the help.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I know this is a beginner question - but how are you guys using AVIA to adjust set RGB gamma, gain and offset? I couldnt find the test images for those most likely because I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Any info would be appreciated - thanks.

Adriano

·
Registered
181 Posts
aderose,

I am still experimenting with the adjustments and so what I tell you should be taken for what it's worth (meaning, with some caution).

I don't find Avia to be of help for adjusting RGB offset, gain or gamma of TW100. I rather find the built-in greyscale to be a lot more useful for that purpose.

I may be wrong about this but my adjustments were made on the assumption that one has to maximise contrast of the projector while trying to maintain an uniform greyscale AND colour balance (I use 6500K as my reference).

Avia is however very useful for the basic adjustments: black level, white level, sharpness, colour and tint. Here's what I did:

First, change colour mode to "Theater". Two, change colour temperature to "6500K". At some stage of the adjustment (can't recall exactly when), flesh tone was changed to "3".

Then the basic settings were adjusted using Avia.

Finally, adjustments were made to RGB (based on subjective judgement).

It may be necessary to slightly re-adjust the basic settings afterwards (using Avia).

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey guys - I have been so busy enjoying my projector I have not had a chance to post my settings. I've just done the basic adjustments using Avia because I am waiting on my permanent screen and will have to do it again soon anyway. I will post my settings later when I get home.

What are you guys using for the motion detect and NR settings?

dandavw - If you want to take a look at my setup pm me. I live very close to you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.