AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for an LCD for my bedroom. After studying displays at a San Francisco The Good Guys and other stores, I concluded that the Mitsubishi LT-2220 was the best LCD by a long shot.

I saw a number of displays mentioned in this forum, including the new Sony KLV-23HR2 and the older KLV-23HR1. I also looked at a variety of Sharp AQUOS LCDs and the Panasonic TC22LT1. None had the resolution of the Mits.

Now, I have to admit that I'm a resolution junkie, so please understand that my experiences are colored by that criterion.

I ended up buying the Mits because the company offers a no-payments, no-interest plan until January 2005, an infrequently mentioned buying criteria. I also found the 22-/23-inch display size to be optimum for end-of-bed (6-ft) watching.

I'm glad I bought the LT-2220 from a B&M, because, you won't believe this, but I'm on my third display. The first one had one stuck pixel. The second five and the one I'm using now has two! I have yet to see a Mits at home without any stuck pixels.

To hedge my bets, I ordered a Dell W2300, which I'm watching right now as I write this. Here are my conclusions:

Sharpness -- cranking up the sharpness all the way puts the Dell within earshot of the Mitsubishi, but not quite. What I like about the Mits is that it features an almost surreal sharpness, one that makes HD broadcasts and DVDs look "3D." Dell’s pictures are sharp but not 3D.

Pixels-- No stuck pixels on the Dell.

DVI -- I can't get the Dell DVI input to work properly, it distorts output. The Mits' DVI input works fine with both an LG LST-3100A and my Bravo D1 player. In fact, the Bravo's DVI output on the Mitsubishi produces simply stunning images.

Unfortunately, one of the side effects of watching HD on super-sharp LCDs is that I now find my Toshiba 34-inch HDTV CRT to be virtually unwatchable. That's why I think I'll be first in line for Sharp's new 1920x1080p AQUOS LC-45G1U. :D

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought from The Good Guys.

The Dell is $900 cheaper so that makes it quite a bargain, but the Mitsubishi's display quality and financing offer makes for a viable alternative.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Other deciding factors, if I have my facts straight, are that the Mits has HDCP on its DVI connection and the Dell does not. Conversely, you could plug a PC into the DVI connection on the Dell (and make it work), but not the Mits.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to the Mits manual, the LT-2220 supports VGA, SVGA, XGA, WXGA PC resolutions at 60Hz via DVI and RBG inputs, but I've not tried it.

I don't know about the Dell's HDCP compliance but the Mitsubishi definitely is compliant.

However, the Mitsubishi will accept the Bravo's 1080i DVI output but the Dell only works at 480p.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by trendscape
According to the Mits manual, the LT-2220 supports VGA, SVGA, XGA, WXGA PC resolutions at 60Hz via DVI and RBG inputs, but I've not tried it.
Would appreciate hearing about the results if you do try it. This information is kind of hard to come by and common perception was that only the newer Samsung DVI-HDCP connection accepted PC signals as well as HDTV inputs.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I'd appreciate it if you could expand more on what the Dell W2300 is like. I'm considering getting one myself, but don't want to spend the $$ if the quality just isn't there. I know there have been mixed feelings on the W1700, but one member here had nothing but praise for the model. If that stand, I figure the 23" would be the same, if not very similar. Looking forward to your remarks.

Regards,

David

[edit] actually, while we're on the subject of 23" models, has anybody come across this: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...05030074242870

?

·
Registered
5 Posts
that's like > 50% price increase to get that "3D" effect. is it worth it?

for a tv that is above $2000, i'd sooner consider an EDTV plasma.

i'm just like Superman07, i'm considering the dell w1700 but would consider the w2300 if the quality is pretty good, but not necessarliy "3D" good.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I had more time this evening to do a direct AB comparison with HD programming (not much to test last night).

Watched both Raymond and Two and a Half Men and there's no question that the Mitsubishi is lightyears ahead of the Dell in terms of resolution, plasma-like image smoothness and contrast.

Another aspect stood out tonight: the W2300 appears to slightly squeeze the picture horizontally giving people an "egghead" look. It's barely noticeable unless you watch closely. Switching back to the Mitsubishi confirmed this.

By contrast, the Dell's display quality is murky and soft, even in HD. Given that the unit is also DVI-crippled, it's a pass in my opinion even though it costs $900 less.

BTW, a 42-inch ED plasma wouldn't fit on most bedroom dressers, unless you stash the DVD player and STB under your bed, but that would negate IR control. The Dell, with its side-mounted speakers, barely fits.

A non-centered placement might accomodate a 32-inch plasma, like the Hitachi 32HDT50, but that unit lists for $4,000, and your companion might not like you hogging the best "seat" in the bed. :D

·
Registered
724 Posts
Does anybody else have any feedback on the W2300? The size and price of the set are practically perfect for what I'm looking for. It would be very unfortunate if it's ont a good set?

Can you elaborate any more on you experience with it trendscape? Does this mean you will be returning it?

David

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll be returning it or giving it to a friend who needs one for her bedroom and who prolly has a more forgiving eye.

BTW, if you're looking for a reasonable quality 22-inch, look into the Panasonic TC22LT1, I've seen it advertised for the same price as the Dell.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Well, despite your dissatisfaction with the unit, I think I may go ahead and try it out. Afterall, I do have 30 days to return it if I am unsatisfied.

Plus, it will be my first lcd/tv so maybe my eye isn't as "trained" as yours.

Out of curiosity, did you purchace an extended warranty?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Superman07
Well, despite your dissatisfaction with the unit, I think I may go ahead and try it out. Afterall, I do have 30 days to return it if I am unsatisfied.

Plus, it will be my first lcd/tv so maybe my eye isn't as "trained" as yours.

pretty please will you post your findings? i'll probably make my decision based on your additional feedback. thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.