AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been trying to expand my 4 x 750GB RAID5 to 6 x 750GB for the last few days now...

Boy... I learned a few things...

I currently have 2 m/b. One with Intel P965 w ICH8R and another based on nForce 570 SLI AMD. Both have 6 SATA connectors (actually more if you count the Jmicron SATA connectors) and support RAID 0,1,5,10.

I had 4 x 750GB RAID 5 setup on the intel m/b at first. When I bought two more to expand it to 6 x 750GB raid array, I found out that Intel ICH8R only support 4 drive RAID arrays!

Well, I figure no problem. I got nForce chipset which support online expansion and I'll just create it on the other m/b. WRONG!

Turns out that nforce RAID does not support arrays bigger than 2TB!

Now I am debating if I am going to fork over another $200 to buy a 8 port RAID card from Highpoint. I'm sure that is going to be another adventure in itself...

Very frustrating... It's too bad that companies don't explain the limitation of their RAID system anywhere. I had to learn it from the tech forums...

·
Registered
814 Posts
Nope, you get to pay for that via hardware. I wasnt even aware that onboard raid chipsets were capable of that with raid5. Guess they have come a long way, but obviouslly not far enough if they still have a 2TB limit.

-pd

·
Registered
115 Posts
Software raid is NEVER a good idea. It increases your CPU load for reads/writes. Spend the extra money and buy the RAID controller. A good hardware RAID controller is well worth the $200 you will spend.

I must say that I am impressed that your on board controller even supports RAID 5 though, most only do 0 or 1. You must have paid a good coin for that MB.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I hope you realize that moving your RAID to another controller will cause you to lose all of your data. (Just checking
)

So be sure to save all your data before moving things around.

This is one disadvantage of hardware RAID. It is linked to the controller. Only software RAID gives you the ability to move things around from one controller to another.

If you really don't care about write speed then go for software RAID. If you are going to build a dedicated box for it then try unRAID as it removes many of the disadvantages of RAID5.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.