AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to the outstanding help of this board and the people on it, I believe I have come down to the Home Theater setup that is right for me. I just wanted to post it and see if anyone had any suggestions or tips (or maybe even suggest a different product for some reason). Thanks Again!!!

1. Toshiba 65" WideScreen HDTV (65H81)

2. Sony Receiver (STR-V555ES) -or- Onkyo Receiver (TX-DS989)

3. Eosone speakers and sub (RSS 705)

4. Panasonic DVD Video/Audio Player (DVD-H2000)

5. Princeton Graphics STB (HDT-2000) strictly used for upconversion to 1080i signals due to lack of no Optical Digital Output

6. Panasonic HDTV OTA Receiver (TU-HDS20)

7. Sony VCR

8. Comcast Digital Cable <sigh> (GI DCT-2000)

9. Sony PlayStation 2

10. Terk Indoor Antenna w/ 45db Amplifier (TV-25)

All equipment hooked up with Monster Cable Video 3 cables.

So does it sound good? Any tips?

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've heard mixed feedback on the Terk antenna. And why the Princeton Graphics STB (HDT-2000) strictly used for upconversion to 1080i signals due to lack of no Optical Digital Output??

Good luck!

------------------

"H" Hord "Savor the Moment"

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I second the Onkyo recommendation. Also, the Onkyo has multichannel input so the HDT-2000's lack of a digital out would not be a problem. That would save you the money on the Panasonic Receiver. (you could always get the Panasonic later if it turned out the HDT-2000 was not adequate)

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Now that calibrators have complete access to all picture parameters (service menu items) in the Mitsubishi line, your best bet is the Mits 65907 over the Toshiba display. You will have potential much greater control to tweak the picture.

------------------
J.Mike
Enjoying HDTV in DC (for now)

My DVD Collection
My Home Theatre

·
Registered
301 Posts
Did I read that right... EOSONE speakers... I thought these folks went out of business. I have the the 705 speakers (3 speaker and sub combo) years ago. They sound OK, but not great.

In the last 6 months I have added:

The Infinity Interlude IL10 and matching center channel speakers and they blow the eosones out of the water. TOTALLY better in all aspects.

The ONKYO 787 and LOVE it. Would definetly recommend the ONKYO receiver. The 989 is it's much bigger brother, so I am sure you will love that one.

As far as the monitor goes, I have a Tosh and think it's great. The latest Toshiba's are just days away from being released, and they are supposed to be even better. I noticed a few posts about some 'fix' to the Mit's sets, thats fine if they are indeed better, but at this stage, I would evaluate that..

1) The 'fix' is easily done given your knowledge level.

2) The 'fix' makes them better than the current crop of Toshibas and maybe the next gen that is arriving as we speak.

3) Sorry to say this, and I might get flamed, but if you havn't purchased, read up on the new standards issue and make sure before you commit. I don't even know if the mits promise will totally carry you thru the standards war we are approaching.

Good luck. PS: If you are REALLY stuck on buying the Eosones, I can give you a good deal on 3 705's and a sub, but truly, for your own good try out some better speakers. (like the infinity's, they rock)

Check www.audioadvice.com

Bill

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Quote:
Sorry to say this, and I might get flamed, but if you havn't purchased, read up on the new standards issue and make sure before you commit. I don't even know if the mits promise will totally carry you thru the standards war we are approaching.
Very good point! Mits has an elaborate ad campaign that promises that their sets will be upgradeable re HD signals. Who knows what this means. As for other manufacturers, they simply avoid the question. But I tell folks, don't let this stop you if the major time spent in front of your HD TV is watching anamorphic DVDs.

------------------
J.Mike
Enjoying HDTV in DC (for now)

My DVD Collection
My Home Theatre

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.