AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The screen is made of Gator Board and painted with Goo Systems paint. We made the frame ourselves from materials at lowes. We had a frame shop cut & join the frame for us. We painted it black and used 1" x 1" pieces on the backside of the frame to secure the gator board against. It came out way better than we expected. Much cheaper than buying a pre-made screen.

http://personal.bellsouth.net/w/t/wt...20DSCF0032.JPG

·
Registered
448 Posts
Very nice. Turned out much like mine, but yours has a nicer frame I think. I used corner blocks and did butt joints.

Alan in Boise

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well its not quite done yet. My wife wants to make some curtains for the left & right sides of the screen. The ones that will kinda bunch up and look all pretty. Then some curtains to block the light coming from the window. Thats about it.

The cost of the screen - $45 for the Gator Board. I want to say $90 for the Goo paint with shipping and rollers. About $45 for the wood for the frame. $5 or so for the black paint. $25 to have the wood cut and joined by the framing store, best $25 of the whole project. It took the lady quite a few cuts to get it sized properly. I was working with her for probably close to 2 hours to get it right. Some misc screws and the things to hang it from.. maybe $5. $15 for two rolls of duvetyne tape. So thats about $230.

You can't see the duvetyne fabric, but its underneath the frame. We used it for a border until we found the material for the frame & it also made it alot easier to line up the frame since we knew we had an exact 2" border all the way around with the tape.

It was a very fun project, and I think it looks awesome, and the picture is great. I would love to compare it to a store bought. We are very pleased, and we get the satisfaction of knowing we made it ourselves.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I'm thinking about the same approach. Any chance of posting a screenshot of your screen "in action"? BTW, what projector are you using?

-tony

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would love to try what you did!

I have a very bright LCD projector (2500 lumenis). Can you tell me exactly what products you bought for the "Gator Board" and "Goo". I have a Lowes a few miles away. Is the Gator board better than the "Parkland" plastic? Did you compare? (or is the same thing?). How did you apply the "Goo" so you got a smooth surface and where did you bu it at? It looks great!

Thanks,

Michael

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have a Sony HS-10, it's not broken in yet, as we only have about 50 hours on it. I left my digital camera at work, but will be happy to take some shots... any requests?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I would like to see them. Please post:)

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Quote:
Much cheaper than buying a pre-made screen.
Depends on the commercial screens. Dalite Model B pull-down can be pretty affordable: 96"X96" Matte White=$120, Video Spectra=$150, High Power=$250. You can pull-it down to 16:9 ratio or 96"X54". The high-power won't show waves due to its retro-reflective nature. Other material may show waves in most cases on panning scenes. Fixed screens on the other hand can run much more. Some people cut the Model B out of the rolling case and stretch on frames or stretched/framed onto flat wall and save lots of money. Much easier than painting.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
But Huey... perhaps a Goos Screen is capable of producing an image fidelity, quality, or type of image that these other screens you mention are not capable of? :) And, the people who have chosen all these differing screens do so for specific reasons pertaining to that image fidelity produced? Or for other reasons?

Normally I would let it rest (as I have, every time in the past), but this isn't the first time you've done this. Not by a long shot.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Touchy, Touchy.

I never said these product were superior or inferior to Goo. Different people, their setup, and differing PJ's have different preferences and needs. Your idea of image perfection may not be the same as mine or someone else's. I merely pointout that not all commercial screens were expensive and gave examples.

Geez, This is a public forum and should be allowed multiple opinions. If I went on Goo forum and butt in then it's a different matter.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I understand that Huey. that's why my post was edited by me. I was being too touchy. You should have seen it before I edited it! This is why I said that many people have different screens. So there. Also, who was it who created one of the biggest Da-lite Highpower threads on the Digital forum? I rest my case :D

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Also; people are here, making their own screens, because what they are looking for is NOT available in the finished screen market, and/or at anywhere near the price they desire to pay. These people enjoy making something themselves.... AND.... in the process, may end up with exactly the screen that fits their requirements, which is something that is previously been totally unavailable ---in any form whatsoever.

And painting a screen with our coating products is only as difficult as one makes it out to be. The product is simple to use.

That's why I'm being defensive. Your comment was unqualified, or totally out of context. Not meaning to sound harsh, or trying to be harsh either. It's just that people are here looking at this product for a variety of reasons. One of them is specifically the QUALITY of the viewing surface, and how well it meets their specific needs. With custom coatings, and the fact that they can be mixed to create just about anything.. well, specific screens can be created. And that one facet alone is far beyond anything else out there.

I KNOW I can go out a buy a cheap roll-up screen for $100, and can do that just about anywhere, But... just exactly how good is it? Not much better than the wall. And the wall is crap compared to a good screen.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KBK
perhaps a Goos Screen is capable of producing an image fidelity, quality, or type of image that these other screens you mention are not capable of? :) And, the people who have chosen all these differing screens do so for specific reasons pertaining to that image fidelity produced? Or for other reasons?
One good reason for me would be that if a dog nose, smoke or ash from the fireplace, the perils of being in a basement such as water damage and high humidity, or a childs sticky hand gets on the screen I have the option of cleaning, re-priming and painting a fresh new surface. With a fixed screen I would be out much more money than I would with goo to replace it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey I didn't mean to start a pissing war! I just wanted to post a pic of my screen that I was proud of making. We tried to emulate the one on the Goo website with the picture of Gandalf on it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wterry,

did you prefer the Gator board over Parkland plastics and if so why? Which particular Gator Board do I need to buy and where can I get it?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.