AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first CRT projector this week. I drove all the way up from Pennsylvania to Canada and back in about 12 hours. I bought an NEC 9PG Xtra from Paul, known here on AVS as gn2. I'm pretty excited about getting it up and running, but being new to CRT PJs, I'm having some trouble. I've read a few set-up guides, including the Holy Focus one by Guy Kuo, the NEC PG set-up guide by Tinman, and some good informative threads, but I'm still having trouble because I don't know what my image is supposed to look like after each step.

I've followed the steps outlined by Tinman in his set-up guide, but I think my end result is less than satisfactory. Even though he wrote that only the center should be converged and focused well, I think my edges are worse than they should be. In the attached image, you can clearly see the convergence is very far off everywhere except for the center. This couldn't possibly be considered decent could it?

I think I may be running into trouble when I am centering the raster and image and adjusting the curser and tilt phase. After these have been completed, should all the horizontal lines be level? And should the projected image be square?

Dylan

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Your grid pattern looks exactly right at this point. You did the mechanical setup correctly.

NOW you use the dynamic convergence menus to pull all the sides together. This is another topic altogether, and can also be found in the NEC setup manual. But this is how it looks with ONLY mechanical centering done. Dead-on in the center only. Very good start.

Now you have to read up on the actual electronic convergence to finish the job. DO NOT mess with mechanical any more. You did fine.

Marc

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark and Marc, thanks for the replies. I'll read up on the dynamic convergence tomorrow and start working on it.

Dylan

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Would you mind if I use that picture in the setup document? It's a real good example of what to expect after doing the mechanical setup and zeroing all settings. It should look just like that.

Now use keystone, bow, linearity and size to get things square. Then fine tune. Remember to leave your static at zero if at all possible.

Read, read, read, but great start.

Marc

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Marc,

I don't mind if you use the photo in the setup document. If it helps, then by all means use it.

I'm glad that I'm off to a good start. I have done quite a bit of reading on this forum already, but I definately feel I need to do some more. I can only hope to become as knowledge as Paul or yourself someday.

Dylan

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm getting ready to re-do the mechanical setup on my 6pg tonight. This will be about the fifth time. Each time I've gotten a little better and it starts to go a little faster. It's a non stop learning experience with the Nec projectors. Have fun :)

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
dgaff,

Actually this looks darn good, even focus across the pattern. Marc, I agree this is a great photo to use.

Paul,

Good job also, it looks like a fresh projector, most people starting out dont have this to start from. It just gets better from here. You get the honorable mention. Doug

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
WOW, I'm impressed. Even some of us who have had other projectors prior to the less than forgiving NEC did not have this much luck on their first or tenth try. Give the man a cigar...

Chip S.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.