AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am starting to purchase equipment for my dedicated movie theater build. Just got three Bowers and Wilkins CT7.3's that I will be using as my Front LCR speakers. Depending on my budget I may buy 4 more and use them as rears and surrounds or I may opt to go with smaller speakers. Would love any feedback from people that have any experience with this line.

Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh and I am also looking at JL Fathom F113's x 2 as the subs for the system... I currently have an Epik Empire but I don't know if I can find another one that I could use with the system so I thought it might be good to start fresh. From what I understand that is about as good as a sub as you can buy.

·
Registered
164 Posts
oh and I am also looking at JL Fathom F113's x 2 as the subs for the system... I currently have an Epik Empire but I don't know if I can find another one that I could use with the system so I thought it might be good to start fresh. From what I understand that is about as good as a sub as you can buy.
Good Lord.. I just googled those.. $4300 each MSRP.. wow!

Have you considered building your own DIY subs? You should check out the forum here on AVSforums for DIY speakers. Those guys will tell you with no reservation that you can build a far better sub for much less money if you do it yourself. I'm a noob.. but you might consider checking it out yourself... Check out some of the 18" sub builds that claim to blow away consumer marketed products for well under $1000 each.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good Lord.. I just googled those.. $4300 each MSRP.. wow!

Have you considered building your own DIY subs? You should check out the forum here on AVSforums for DIY speakers. Those guys will tell you with no reservation that you can build a far better sub for much less money if you do it yourself. I'm a noob.. but you might consider checking it out yourself... Check out some of the 18" sub builds that claim to blow away consumer marketed products for well under $1000 each.
Yeah I have been looking at used ones so they wouldn't be that much. I also have an Epik Empire dual 15" that I would be selling to help cover some of the cost.

I haven't really considered building a speaker. I have never done that before. I tend to like proven high quality name brand stuff... not that it cant be done for less. I guess the Epik is kind of an off brand DIY with someone else building it though... or something like that. It rocks I just want something an a higher echelon. I also want two subs and the only time I see an Epik for sale its either broken or looks ragged out. Mine is in great shape and would want one in similar condition.

Did you think the Fathom was a poor choice? I am open to suggestions

·
Registered
330 Posts
For a HT room, assuming you want dual subs, I would say you'd be better off getting a Seaton Submersive Master+Slave combo. Combined they're less than 1 F113, and they are, in the opinions of many, the best subs you can buy period. This is a change I would for sure make to your setup.

That also frees you up to get the rest of the speakers to match up with CT 7.3s all around. Not bad speakers, though again there's other cheaper alternatives which would outperform them for a purely HT purpose. JTR Noesis 228s for example. This change is really just about if you prefer the B&W sound, or want to achieve higher volumes which the B&W might not reach. Less pressing than the sub decision IMO.

·
Registered
549 Posts
If your spending $10k+ on just speakers I am thinking you have the money to higher someone to design your home theater, there are a few services mentioned on the forum that do that. Not saying you can't do it yourself, but with speakers of that quality you want a well designed theater, one that is acoustically configured to maximize the performance of those speakers. The key thing to remember is, even if you do spend 10k+ on speakers, if the room isn't setup properly they will sound like $300 dollar speakers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For a HT room, assuming you want dual subs, I would say you'd be better off getting a Seaton Submersive Master+Slave combo. Combined they're less than 1 F113, and they are, in the opinions of many, the best subs you can buy period. This is a change I would for sure make to your setup.

That also frees you up to get the rest of the speakers to match up with CT 7.3s all around. Not bad speakers, though again there's other cheaper alternatives which would outperform them for a purely HT purpose. JTR Noesis 228s for example. This change is really just about if you prefer the B&W sound, or want to achieve higher volumes which the B&W might not reach. Less pressing than the sub decision IMO.
let me do some research on that sub... other than the price is there something about the JL that you didn't care for?

Ive already bought the B&W's so I don't want to change those.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Nothing particularly wrong with the JL subs, they're very capable and look quite nice. The issue with them is they charge a lot of money for the brand name and mirror finish of them. Their small footprint is also important to some folks. If footprint and brand name aren't important to you, Seaton or JTR subs are vastly superior price/performance, and at the end of the day pure performance. Check out the subwoofer forum on here, lots of folks compare the Fathom/Gotham subs to Submersives. Just a quick way to save yourself over 4 grand..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess one way that I am stuck is that I don't know anyone that sells that brand and cannot listen to them. I have heard the JL and thought it sounded amazing. Albeit more money I have heard it, it has a good reputation, I also have local places for warranty, I am also getting a good deal. Mirror finish isn't too important but undo think it looks nice. I also don't mind that it is a smaller sub and doesn't take up the entire front of my theater. Especially if I will be getting multiple.

Something that I did find odd as I researched. It seems like people copy and paste the same response about those subs whenever people reference certain speakers. Seems odd

Haven't bought the JL but am getting very close to pulling the trigger. Would still be open to any name brand and non diy options. Thanks again for all of the feedback and help

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If your spending $10k+ on just speakers I am thinking you have the money to higher someone to design your home theater, there are a few services mentioned on the forum that do that. Not saying you can't do it yourself, but with speakers of that quality you want a well designed theater, one that is acoustically configured to maximize the performance of those speakers. The key thing to remember is, even if you do spend 10k+ on speakers, if the room isn't setup properly they will sound like $300 dollar speakers.
I have a local company that is designing the theater... they suggested the JL but I wanted to bounce the idea around to see what other people thought.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just picked up a McIntosh MC207 to power the speakers. Pretty excited about it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Been a busy day... also just picked up a JL F113 Fathom.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looking at getting a stand for the JL. Do those make any difference or are they a waste of money?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Wow, that's some serious gear on your list.

I'm sure others will chime in here, but you don't need to get the exact same speaker for all 7 channels, just one that voices well with the LCR. You could get the CT7.5s as surrounds and save a little $$, but it looks cost isn't a big concern.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I'm gonna see what will fit in the walls and go from there. Depends on what I spend for the rest. I need to figure out cables. I've heard both sides that cables are snake oil and that they make all the difference in the world. Also need to get an mx121 and the video side of things. More to come

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
I need to figure out cables. I've heard both sides that cables are snake oil and that they make all the difference in the world.
Which "side" was selling cables?

For anything except long (>20') HDMI cables, there is no reason to spend more than Monoprice-like prices on cables. I'd get their "premium" interconnect cables which are better constructed. For speaker wire, nothing matters except wire gauge. 12 or 14 AWG for theater speakers, CL2 rated for running through the walls.

Spend money elsewhere. Lots of theater gear you can better spend money on that WILL make a difference...

Jeff

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Which "side" was selling cables?

For anything except long (>20') HDMI cables, there is no reason to spend more than Monoprice-like prices on cables. I'd get their "premium" interconnect cables which are better constructed. For speaker wire, nothing matters except wire gauge. 12 or 14 AWG for theater speakers, CL2 rated for running through the walls.

Spend money elsewhere. Lots of theater gear you can better spend money on that WILL make a difference...

Jeff
That has generally been my thought... buy good quality cheap wires. i know some people think it makes all of the difference. Maybe my ears are not good enough to tell the difference.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Maybe my ears are not good enough to tell the difference.
Don't think that way. There's nothing to hear, only things to "believe"...

Reactions: LeBon and GWCR

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
does anyone know when McIntosh is supposed to release an updated version of the MX121? been poking around on the internet and I cannot find anything on this.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just ordered a Wolf SDC-15... pretty excited about it. Slowing piecing everything together.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts