AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have posted this in ht forum without much helpful feedback so i am reposting here. this will be my first sub and i need some help. it will be for living room 15x15x10 that is fully open to dining room of same size. it will be used mostly for movies and than for games and music. i would like to keep it under $300. did some research already and ended up with these two drivers. (but open for suggestions for different drivers). i need help with amp selection.

used winISD to get enclosure size. i was leaning towards hf driver after reading reviews on PE site, but for some reason i am getting way bigger suggested enclosure size than for titanic. am i doing this right? in reviews for hf several people are mentioning they have it in 1.5cf enclosures.

also both enclosures seem to be rather tall and skinny? am i good to change dimensions to get more proportional shape?

i calculated for sealed enclosure as it would be smaller but i would be also open to ported if it is not a monster.

thanks

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Lets start with what the largest box you are willing to accommodate?

The box shape editor in WinISD is calculating to the golden ratio but that is more for speakers than subs, you can make it any shape you like.

For about $20 more I would go with the 15" over the 12" Dayton. You are not only needing to fill you living room with bass but also your dining room since it is essentially 1 room. Porting would give you more output up to the tuning frequency but it's gonna be a bigger box.

A $300 budget's gonna be tight, for an amp you might want to consider the Bash 300 that PE has on sale for $99. Problem with that amp is they are out until 2-11-11 but it would keep you in your budget.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the larger enclosure from both posted above would be my max. i didnt consider 15" as it would be too big (enclosure)? i dont need to play it loud just want good quality sound. i was also thinking about bash 300. didnt know it is out.

i am also considering TC Sounds Epic 12" DVC Subwoofer, which is better than both of two above i believe. need to see how big of a box it needs. i will go with cube most likely

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I ran a quick sim of both the 12" and 15" Dayton reference HF's subs. Both were fed 300 watts assuming you would use the bash 300.

I shrank the size of both boxes to keep the drivers from exceeding x-max until about 10hz.

There are some things you need to look into about the bash 300, does it have a built in high pass filter or subsonic filter and if so were is it set.

You can see the 15" is much louder especially down low with the same power and only a slightly larger enclosure.

I did take a quick look at a ported 12" box but it would be bigger than the 15" sealed and not provide much more output if at all. Ported subs are also more difficult so a sealed 15" would be a good first project.

I am going to be really swamped this week so hopefully other's can add to this and help you out further.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.