AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Ive talked about it for a while but, I finally did indeed get Metallicas 'Black Album' on DVD-Audio. It sounds awsome on my beginners system, the bass is unbelevable. Every track is in full DD5.1. Perhaps the 2 best songs for maxing your system out on this disc are 'Enter Sandman' and 'Sad But True' for the hard stuff and 'The Unforgiven' and 'Nothing Else Matters' for some softer acustic stuff. On a techincal note, I thought I read here a while ago that DVD-A can only be played using the 5.1 channel analog outputs, but Im using toslink. (my DVD player doesnt have 5.1CH out, but my reciever has 5.1 in)

·
Registered
879 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Jay Shem
Every track is in full DD5.1. ...I thought I read here a while ago that DVD-A can only be played using the 5.1 channel analog outputs, but Im using toslink. (my DVD player doesnt have 5.1CH out, but my reciever has 5.1 in)
You're not listening to the high quality 96khz, 24 bit 6 channel DVD-A track. In order to do so, you need a dvd player that is DVD-A compatible and a receiver that has analog inputs for the 6 channel output from the dvd player. DVD-A cannot output a digital signal to the receiver (piracy concerns - don't ask).

I bought a Panasonic RP-91 just for the excellent progressive scan capability and was pleasantly surprised to fin it also played DVD-A. My inexpensive Pioneer VSX-D509S (which I highly recommend) has 5.1 inputs and the result is absolutely amazing!!

I only have 3 DVD-A titles - Steely Dan: 2 Against Nature, Fleetwood Mac: Rumours and Studio Voodoo. Unfortunately, I think I saw an article somewhere that DVD-A and SACD are not selling very well, so we'll see...

Cheers,

Flexx

Visit the CineFlexx
http://members.aol.com/beautymarkstudio/Home.html

·
Registered
589 Posts
Flexx,

Help me out here; I have an RP91 connected from digital output (2 cables) to my DTS/DD/5.1/7.1 receiver's digital inputs.

Am I not listening to the high quality 96khz, 24 bit 6 channel DVD-A?

Must I connect 6 cables from DVD player to receiver to get the real DVD-A?

Thank you.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Quote:
2 for the Hi-Rez stereo or 6 for Hi-Rez multi-channel. Plug them into external inputs of receiver or pre-amp and select receiver's external/bypass switch to use processor from RP-91.

Ultimately, invest in the Outlaw ICBM for bass management as well.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Story
Flexx,

Help me out here; I have an RP91 connected from digital output (2 cables) to my DTS/DD/5.1/7.1 receiver's digital inputs.

Am I not listening to the high quality 96khz, 24 bit 6 channel DVD-A?

Thank you.
Yes, the analog outs from the RP91 should go into your 5.1 analog inputs on your reciever. Then make sure you select the analog input button on your reciever when you listen.

Usually, the high resolution 96khz, 24 bit 5.1 track is "group 1" on the dvd-a disc. Since I don't fire up my projector to hear dvd-a, I just hit "analog 5.1" on my receiver, select "group 1" track from my RP91 remote, and you're ready to rock and roll (or whatever)!

If you have 5 good full range speakers, you will not need bass management, but if you have smallish or satellite speakers, that might be an investment worth considering.

Cheers,

F

·
Registered
589 Posts
John and Flexx (a fellow Miamian),

Thanks for your excellent explanation; now I gotta get more cables (not to mention another PJ)!

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
How may minutes are they putting on a DVD-A? They have CD but they average about 40 minutes only 50% of the 80 minute capacity. My Silva Screen have 78 minutes on soundtracks of movies, most of them are on disc.:)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Slightly off topic but the Blue Man Group's "Audio" DVD-A is amazing. Definitely the best DVD-A I've heard. It has DVD-A on one side and both DTS & DD 5.1 on the other.

The Coors' In Blue DVD-A is also quite good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.