AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends:

I'm very concern because of these situation:

I decided to buy the A3000 model and is for a small room, the viewing distance max is 7.5 feets, exclusive for video games and couple of movies.

The situation is:

1- I found the 60" in stock with a good price; But I think is to big for 7.5 feets of distance, I'm not sure if I'll get visual problems, ect? I don't want to regreted.

2- A department store has the 55" on backorder for $400 more than the 60". I beleive that 55" was the ideal size for the room. But to expensive and maybe on back order.

3- Finnaly I found in stock the 50" for $200 less than the 60" , but looking at sony web site, when comparing the 50" vs 60" there are many differences in features; for example, the 50" model specs indicates nothing about game mode on/off capability, the 60" does has.

This can be an error from sony website or the 50" has fewer features than the 55" or 60".

I appreciate your help and recomendation; I really want to make the right and wise decition; thanks! This is my first hdtv, I'm very happy.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
you will be fine with the 60".

Why would you pay more $$$ for a smaller screen?

If you can get a 60" for only $200 than a 50" I say jump on it.

Check out the THX viewing distance calculator

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/v...alculator.html

I can almost guarantee you will be kicking yourself if you go smaller rather than larger, initally the TV will look big compared to your last set but that will wear off quickly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jordan420:

My only concern is my viewing distance max of 7.5 feets.

Looking at the chart & using the formula (screen lenght X 1.5 / 12).

Both methods gave The minumun distance of 7.5 feets.

My concern is if there is any possible visual problem; living in the edge?

The tv is exclusive for video games, and couple of movies some times.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
If you are mainly going to be playing games on a high-def gaming system, ps3 or xbox 360 you will have a nice clear HD picture at that distance.

Look at this chart also

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post12853649

If you are feeding you set hd images (games or movies) at least 80% of the time I don't think you will have a problem.

How closer to your computer monitor are you? If your computer is new enough download some of these HD clips & see how close to your monitor you can get without seeing problems in the picture.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...tshowcase.aspx

·
Registered
376 Posts
i have a 60" screen, and leaning back i am 9 feet from it, playing games i sit about 7.5 feet from teh set, and to be honest i thought it was going to be too big, but its great. i was in the same boat sort of - to go with a 50" samsung i woudl ahve saved $100.

i say go with the 60, you will not regret it

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Almost everybody says go with the 60" tv, so I almost made the final desition and go with it. The stand or table I have is solid wood:

40" wide

30" hight

20.5" depth

My last concerns are:

1- 40" wide table are enough to hold secure the 60" tv? I have a kid you know.

2- 30" hight is considered to tall for a stand? what's the ideal stand height range to hold a 60" tv; and using a recline seat for my self.

All your inputs, recomendations, experiences, coments, are welcome; don't be shy people.

I'm almost ready to make the purchase.

Thanks! for your time and help ; excuse my english.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts