AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I recently purchased my first hdtv and since I'm usually somewhat of an elitist, I settled with a plasma. Tc-p46s30 to be exact. I am curious about the break-in part and settings in general.

I'm not too sure about the break-in dvds so I've just been watching full screen programming for a couple hours a day with conservative settings. I know that's one way to do it which will take me a good 3 months before I can start doing what I actually want with it - meh.

I'm especially concerned about the break-in because within the first few days I hooked my computer up to it just to watch a movie and within a few minutes I noticed a slight outline of a part of my background. It didn't last long and it was quite faint - but I plan to have my computer hooked up to it and possibly game.

I know there is a plethora of information on this sight but between work, school and daily activities, it's hard to find the time to search for it.

One part of my question I kind of already answered myself - but how many people suggest that I keep being conservative with my settings for the first few months?

My 2nd question is about the tv setting to use after I have it broken in. I don't know anything about calibration. What would be optimal settings once I have my set ready to go? Medium brightness and Higher contrast look good to me, but exact numbers would really help. I shouldn't have to change anything with the color at all right?

If anyone could just provide me with a link for the way to set up my tc-p46s30 that would be awesome.

If this thread is like many others and the same thing is posted many times then I am sorry. I'm just trying to be as productive as I can.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Rather than turning your plasma on for just a couple of hours a day over a long period of time, you can just leave your plasma on for 50 hours or so, using conservative settings and a full screen ( preferably a high def ) channel.

As far as calibration goes, you can find a multitude of different settings on the web. But, as you'll notice, each one will be a little different from the others. This is because no two living rooms/home theaters/laboratories/man caves, etc. are exactly alike. Do yourself a HUGE favor and purchase a calibration disc, such as the Spears and Munsil disc or the DVE disc. They can usually be found at a local retailer, or at www.amazon.com . They are very inexpensive, easy to use and do a great job of setting up your new plasma for YOUR home.

And, congratulations on your new Panny plasma. IMHO, you have purchased the best !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply, I will look into the Spears and Munsil calibration disc. A couple reasons why I haven't had my tv running constantly is because 1. It's in my room and kind of hard to fall asleep even if I mute it. and 2. Most HD channels have some kind of logo that I don't want to risk as possible burn-in.

Can I still just keep what I'm doing and just watch a couple hours/day? Or to get the most effect do I have to have my tv running nonstop?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bump to find out if I can break it in by watching a few hours a day or if I need to run it constantly.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I just watch normal shows, game, use my computer, and do other normal stuff with my plasmas and have not had a problem. You do not need to be to worried, just make sure the contrast isn't maxed out. I also recommend getting some kind of calibration disk or perhaps download some test patterns on your computer to help dial stuff in. I even used Windows Media Center calibration setup to help tweak mine, it works okay if you have it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts