AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just graduated college, don't have a job yet, will be going to graduate school and hopefully moving into a small house and working part time. I will be moving in, and then probly back out in a couple of years when I graduate, so I want something semi-portable and that won't take up all the room in my den. I would like some recommendations and I really like the VideoLogic DigiTheatre DTS 5.1 that is referenced :
here

What I want is a nice system that is quality. I don't like big boomy bass, I don't like big, heavy, obtrusive equipment. I care for performance over style any day, and I'm willing to pay for quality but I have a budget. Example: I LOVE my Grado SR80 headphones that I got for $80. Dollar for dollar the best sounding headphones period IMHO. Some people would say I'm crazy spending more than $10, others would say better ones exist for $300. I say I'm 100% satisfied. This DigiTheatre system will provide for several of my needs:
  • Audax cones and EXCELLENT quality from reviews (see link)
  • DTS and Dolby Digital decoding
  • Optical input for my satellite receiver
  • Analog input for cd/radio/etc
  • Digital / SPDIF / Coax input for DVD player and/or computer
  • Doesn't require a seperate receiver or amplifier
  • Can be had for

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have this set on my computer - got it for $326 shipped from icuii.com.

Comments... well... here's a link link of my short review on head-fi.

For a real setup? My Divas are much clearer and produce much fuller sound, but I'd say that I still don't regret purchasing my Videologic DTS system, because sooner or later when I'm going to have 2 setups, this will go to the 2nd one. For one thing though, it really doesn't get that loud, but I haven't experimented with the good setups (i haven't wall-mounted or set the speakers on any stands, they've always gone at convenient places around the room) yet to conclude much... they've always been hanging around my computer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. A quick search revealed a review on the Swan Divas and the price is $1500 retail! Like I said I don't mind paying for something nice (ie my headphones) but come on that is 5 times what the Digitheatre DTS costs. Does it really sound *5 times* as good?! That's just above what I can afford, I'm afraid. On the other hand, I am a little worried if the Digitheatre will be loud enough for movies, music, etc. but I did read in the comments of some reviews where people said it was plenty loud enough. Too bad it's not still at $275 which would make this an EASY decision :) Oh well maybe I'll get some new advice or ideas before then.. anyone?

·
Registered
85 Posts
If that's all you have to spend, then consider a few other speaker systems before taking the plunge (i.e. Klipsch 5.1, Logitech.. z.. their new ones - i don't keep track of computer speakers much anymore)

Also, from what I mean by not loud.. is.. not loud. I set the Videologics in a room of about 15X20 and a good movie-listening volume (on the louder side) was at about 85% output. (from what i recall.. it was about half a year ago)

I'd think that most people would suggest a receiver/speaker combo simply because it provides you a good upgrade route, but for that money, maybe the Videologics would be a good idea. Also I read somewhere around here or some other forum that Costco or Sam's Club had impressive setups for about $300-400 w/ receiver.

·
Registered
513 Posts
If you're patient I'd start with a simple receiver and a good pair of stereo speakers and build from their as your budget allows. I think you would enjoy movies, music, videogames more out of good pair of stereo speakers rather than 5 cheap ones. why spend $500 to throw it all away or relegate it to limited use just two years down the line?

Look for a decent A/V receiver and a good pair of standmount speakers. Once you graduate and get a job and are into a new, bigger place, you can use your stereo pair as surrounds.

Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.