AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a list of my wishlist at newegg I will be putting this together over the next week or 2 depending on shipping time. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to different possibilities. I know I am going with different case but that was the cheapest one and I wasn't paying attention micro atx oops. I am doing this with the help of my computer wiz buddy, I will likely just buy the stuff and he will make it work for me. He is also new to the HTPC stuff, so any pointers or ideas, you can offer would be great.

Parts List:

·
Registered
885 Posts
Overkill, but sure.

I would spend less on the video card and a lot more on the power supply and RAM. You will thank me later.

Zalman/Enermax and Corsair XMS(2) are my favorites, respectively.

I'd look at something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817194002

One stable system is worth ten systems with fancier bells and whistles and average instability issues.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want this to he an HD setup. What is my best bet to get great PQ and great SQ. Would I be better off have separate audio/video cards?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only need 5.1 audio. I though the ATI 4800 would be the easiest option to get audio and video through 1 cable??

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I recently bought a Samsung dual Blu/HDDVD player to eliminate the Toshiba HD-A2 and a PS3 I have. I was thinking of putting together this HD HTPC to replace all these. I have a decent 5.1 setup with a 50" plasma, I don't want to lose any quality in either audio or video. Maybe i don't know what I am getting myself into. I want to just have 1 device with 1 HDMI cable going to my receiver delivering great audio and video. Is this the way to go? I may be jumping into this too quick. But I have a narrow window to return the Samsung Player (basically by tomorrow) to fund my HTPC venture.

·
Registered
885 Posts
The easy thing is to use the Spdif port on the rear of the motherboard you have chosen to output the audio to your receiver.

A sound card is unnecessary and will make no difference at all.

The single cable idea is nice, but currently very experimental in the PC realm.

What is wrong with two wires, if I may be so bold. It is certainly not worth it (at least to me) to quibble over such a small detail when faced with all of the other advantages the computer offers.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My suggestion(s)...

For a HD HTPC, the hardware is the easy part. Make sure you understand and plan the software stack before you dive in. Plan on spending quite a bit of time researching and tweaking the HTPC.

·
Registered
241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthulbs /forum/post/14277548

I want this to he an HD setup. What is my best bet to get great PQ and great SQ. Would I be better off have separate audio/video cards?

You should use integrated graphics: get a 780G motherboard instead.

Your computer will be very noisy: be warned. It takes a lot of knowledge to build a silent computer.

·
Registered
325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSMR /forum/post/14277717

You should use integrated graphics: get a 780G motherboard instead.

Your computer will be very noisy: be warned. It takes a lot of knowledge to build a silent computer.

I agree about the 780G. If you can cut out the video card you eliminate another heat and noise source. Besides, there's a MAJOR problem with the case you show here. You're not going to be able to fit that full height video card into that low rise case. The case you've chosen may also have airflow problems since it has one intake fan and two (maybe three) small vent areas.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I, myself, think right next to CPU, a quality PSU is almost as important with any computer I build..I would maybe look at a little better power supply...if that goes, its possible it can take other components as well...

·
Registered
232 Posts
The 780g is suppose to help with the HD playback via AVIVO/UVD hardware acceleration, though I heard some are getting mixed results. I think if you upgrade your processor to maybe a 5000+ Black Edition and OC it a bit, it should be fine. I have a 690g board with a 5000+ BE OC'ed to 3ghz and it plays back all HD content fine, including BD and HDDVD. I would also spend a bit more for a better case for both heating and noise issues. A HD 4850 is likely overkill for a HTPC. You should still be able to get 5.1 out easily through the S/PDIF output on the mobo.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Good choice with the Silverstone. Quality stuff. I disagree with the poster before you. I would get at least a 5000+, especially if you have high def files which would no be offloaded by the IGP, though CoreCodec could probably help with it. Getting a Sempron would definitely not be advisable.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Would 2GB of ram be sufficient or would I be better off with 4? I really want to keep my total under $750. I want to cut costs where I can, but still have a capable machine.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondHope /forum/post/14277701

My suggestion(s)...

For a HD HTPC, the hardware is the easy part. Make sure you understand and plan the software stack before you dive in. Plan on spending quite a bit of time researching and tweaking the HTPC.

Truer words were never posted. I have great solid BluRay and HD-DVD playback on much lesser hardware than you're considering, but the software setup is where the work is.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yes hardware is definitely the easy part. Software is the much more difficult and time consuming part. The first one may be quite the learning curve adventure. However once you get the software install down once things become much easier the 2nd time round. Thank goodness that there's Arcsoft Total Media Theatre now. I was so sick of Cyberlink and Intervideo messes.

I suggest the following, however I suggest doing research into each piece to confirm if it's something that you want.

Except for the OS, everything listed below is free or has trial software to try out to see if you like it.

Vista Ultimate or Vista Home Premium. Unless you're a XP Media Center fan, I honestly prefer Vista Media Center at this point with Arcsoft Total Media Theatre.

www.hulu.com

MyMovies plugin

Arcsoft Total Media Theatre

Core Community Codec Pack

Slysoft AnyDVD HD

ImgBurn + Daemon Tools Lite

OR

Slysoft VirtualCD/DVD

Logitech DiNovo Mini

AND/OR

Microsoft Wireless Media Center Keyboard/Mouse 7000 or 8000 series.

http://www.thegreenbutton.com

http://missingremote.com

WebGuide for Windows Media Center (At your own risk as this is a Beta product, but if you can get it working properly and you have fast internet upload speeds, this can be amazing). http://asciiexpress.com/webguide/

1 - 20 of 25 Posts