AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi chaps, this will be my first post here so a hearty HELLO

Ive built gaming PC's before for myself, however due to a recent purchase for the front room and the new found lust for HD movies i find myself wanting to build a HTPC.

Ive put together a list of components and would like some advice as to whether or not it all will jam together in the chosen case.

Spec:

Silverstone LC20 case

Intel i3 530 CPU

4GB Corsair XMS 1333

Asus P7H55-M Pro motherboard

ATI HD5770 Graphics card

1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 HDD

580W 'BeQuiet' PSU

LiteOn Blu-Ray reader

Akasa Freedom Tower CPU cooler

80mm sharkoon 'golf ball' silent fans

Keysonic Aluminium ACK-540 keyboard/trackpad combo

Reasons for chosen graphics card are the built in ability to process audio via HDMI, and offloading some of the processing requirements for more GPU intensive applications, should i or the family require so.

Im a little dubious about using a micro-ATX motherboard, as ive never worked with one before, .. i figure i'll only have 1 PCI slot to use though, but the rest is pretty straight forward fitment wise in the chosen silverstone case?

I am slightly concerned about the CPU cooler's height at 120mm, but i figure should be OK. It should be quiet enough at 18dB on 'tickover' going up to 27dB when things get toasty. The other case fans are 17dB so pretty quiet.

The TV i'll be using this with is a Pioneer Kuro 50" plasma, which ive used with my gaming rig before for testing purposes. After some tinkering with settings its pretty straight forward to get rocking on the desktop without any overscan. Im curringly using an ATI card already so im familiar with the CCC should i have any issues. Also on Win 7 which i plan to use for this new build also.

Speaker system / AV is a Bose Lifestyle V30 which i previously used with S/PDIF [optical] via onboard sound. It was ok but im hoping for an improvement with the new setup since its HDMI ?

Could anybody point out any issues with the above components/theorys? If so i'd appraciate it as im looking to have it all ordered [likley from scan.co.uk] in the next few days so i can get building on Friday =]

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Bose V30 does not support LPCM of channel count > 2.0 (not to mention TrueHD/DTS-HD). So HDMI audio is pretty useless, optical S/PDIF is enough.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah, I shall have to inform the folks they have dropped a bollock buying the Bose then

RE not running a GPU, is there ANY benefit at all in terms of a dedicated HTPC [non gaming] with running a seperate dedicated graphics card?

Thanks for the replies

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.