AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about building an HTPC for my theater for a few years now and I have finally pulled the trigger. I know what I have put together is overkill for an HTPC, but it will be used for some online gaming as well as streaming to 3 Xbox clients, ripping movies and general propose usage.

The build is as follows:

Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3

Intel I5 2500K 3.3 Sandy Bridge

Corsair Vengeance 2x4 Gb DDR3 1600

EVGA Nvidia GTX460

OCZ 600w psu

WD 2tb 7200 rpm hd

Windows 7 premium

Inteset Denzel case

All of this will be connected to a Pioneer SC-05 running through to a Mitsubishi HC6500. It has been a long time since I have dabbled in any PC work, so I a little rusty on how things work again. The main issue that I for see myself having is setting up Bios, settings and finding the right front end that has a beautiful GUI as well as the organization and functionality that I am looking for. Being able to stream to any of the Xbox clients in my home at 720p over hard wired LAN is the main focus, but I also need to make the organization very user friendly for my wife and son. I am also running a Crestron control app on an IPad, and am looking for a keyboard and trackpad app, if anyone knows a decent one.

I am looking forward to all input and criticism.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I guess I'm the only one that finds it simpler to just browse through multimedia using the plain old windows file system and launching files with a lightweight media player. I even set up my folders to display everything as a list(no icons) that way you display a ton of files in a small window.

·
Registered
98 Posts
+1 on HippoRemote. It works great.

What kind of media files are you going to be using? Depending on the type of files you will need your computer to transcode them for the xboxs. I know TVersify does a good job of this.

I personally use the Plex Media Server and the PleXBMC plugin for XBMC. Works great for me. The Plex Media Server is great for organizing all your media files especially if you have lots of movies and tv shows on many different drives.

PleXBMC plug-in

Plex Media Server

XBMC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.