AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to build my first HTPC, and I found a great deal on an Athlon II X4 640 with a MSI 785GM-P45 Micro ATX motherboard. I believe it has everything I need...HDMI out and integrated video. However, I've been having difficulty finding reviews on the motherboard, particularly when/if it has been used in an HTPC. I'm looking to use this motherboard in an Antec Remote Fusion or Silverstone Grandia series HTPC case.

Has anyone on this forum used this motherboard for an HTPC? If so, how has it performed? I'm looking for my HTPC to be used primarily to view .mkv movies, play games on emulators and stream movies over the net via netflix/hulu, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Brendan

I found the deal here, for those who may be interested:
http://www.microcenter.com/specials/...ndlePROMO.html

·
Registered
202 Posts
You won't be able to bitstream lossless multichannel (HD audio) over HDMI with that setup, but that feature is a bit overrated IMO, since you can still pass multichannel DD and DTS over HDMI. For my use, the processor is probably a bit much, as I'd favor a 65W or 45W processor for heat and efficiency issues. And 2 cores would be enough for HTPC video playback and such. But with gaming and non-HTPC tasks, the extra processor power may benefit you. The motherboard's specs look decent. The 785G chipset is good enough, and it supports DDR3 memory, etc.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew c /forum/post/19589776

You won't be able to bitstream lossless multichannel (HD audio) over HDMI with that setup, but that feature is a bit overrated IMO, since you can still pass multichannel DD and DTS over HDMI. For my use, the processor is probably a bit much, as I'd favor a 65W or 45W processor for heat and efficiency issues. And 2 cores would be enough for HTPC video playback and such. But with gaming and non-HTPC tasks, the extra processor power may benefit you. The motherboard's specs look decent. The 785G chipset is good enough, and it supports DDR3 memory, etc.

I think for now, like you said, I'd be happy with DD and DTS. I have a very typical surround sound system. For both the CPU and the motherboard it's about $100 after rebate. Almost like I'm getting the motherboard for free.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
There's a long thread on the Gigabyte 785 mobo which has many of the same components... I iave the DDR3 version of the Gigabyte and have been pleased with it - I did choose to upgrade to the HD 4550 video card ($19.95 A/R) as MediaPortal is qwerky with their 1080i deinterlacing routine... the 4550 has 80 streams whereas the 4200 has 40 streams... for $20 I felt it was a modest enhancement for MediaPortal.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have that motherboard (actually two of them). Its definitely worth it since it is free after rebate, but I think the quality could be a hit or miss.

The first one I got was dead so I returned it. Second one was put in my HTPC and has been working perfectly with a x2 260. The other board I was using in my personal computer with x2 560 (unlocked/overclocked), when I went to run prime95 the board shut off and never turned on again. Another thing is I am 21 and have very good hearing. On 2 of the three I can hear a sound which I would guess is capacitor whining. One of the boards is noticeable worse than the other. In a htpc you will probably never notice though (I notice in my desktop with the x2 560).

So in a htpc it will likely work good (as long as it doesnt die). Seems like putting too much of a load (overclocking or unlocking) may not be very good for his board. Going into sleep/out of sleep has been flawless with this board.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I started lurking around here 5 months ago and this is my first post!

I got the same bundle from Microcenter because of the rebate. Now, I have two difference HTPC's running with that same set-up using Windows 7 Ultimate and they work great!

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.