AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent the last couple days searching this forum (and others) like a madman. I think I've managed to progress from being utterly ignorant to having just a few questions. So here goes nuthin...

First, my system consists of an AMD Athlon 900, 256megs of RAM, Win2k, and a SB Live 5.1. I'm currently using the onboard video.

My short-term goal is to watch DVD's on a 32" interlaced television using s-video. At this point, if I could get PQ equal to a standard DVD player, I would be happy. I just don't want bleeding colors, wavy/soft lines, etc. From my research this shouldn't be too much of a problem. Also, I want to use my 5.1 multimedia speakers for the sound. They do not have a digital input, so I cannot pass them the DD5.1 data directly (i.e. through an H+ card S/PDIF). I can only pass analog 5.1. This is one area where I'm a bit confused.

I have narrowed my choices for DVD playback down to a Hollywood Plus, and the accompanying software, or a Matrox G450 with PowerDVD(?)and tvtool. So here are my questions:

- Will the H+ software decode the DD5.1 and pass the analog 5.1 through the H+ card and the SB Live card to the speakers? or will it decode and pass directly to the SB? if so, how?

- Can I continue to use my onboard video for my monitor with the H+ or do I need another video card? In case it matters, I don't plan on doing anything other than watching DVD's on the TV, so I don't care about having the desktop displayed on the TV...

- Since tvtool is not compatible with the H+, am I more limited in dealing with any issues I may run up against?

- With the G450, is an Athlon 900mHz enough to deal with decoding the audio and video in software?

I'm sure I'll think of more, but this should keep you busy for a little while.;) :)

TIA!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.