AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a deal I couldn't refuse so I ended up with the 2009 Samsung local LED dimmer un55b8500. 8.5 month old used mint condition for 1600. I've always been a strict plasma fan but this LCD is one of those exceptions. Black level measures the same as a Kuro and it resolves all 1080 lines of motion resolution. All the benefits of a bright LCD display with much less of the drawbacks (off axis viewing is still poor but its a bedroom TV so I have it pointed directly at me). I thought 55 inches would be too big for a TV with a 6 foot viewing distance but it actually doesn't bother me no screen door effect.

Would someone point me in the direction of the best source of information as far as the most comprehensive list of picture settings for this TV? I really would like a good reference point to adjust this set from it would help me so much guys.

I have to say if anyone is looking for the best performing local dimming lcd the Samsung b8500 series is the hands down best. Blooming is very minimal, honestly the only time you can notice blooming is white text scrolling on a black background. During normal video scenes blooming is almost non existent but the black levels are just inky dark. It's black level of .001 matches that of the 9g Kuro panels so you really cant get any better blacks then what this TV can do. The colors have so much POP and rich saturation probably due to the amazing black level that provides a great base for everything else PQ wise. Even with my blinds open and the sun coming in this TV holds its PQ very well much better then the plasma's I'm used to.

In my complete honest opinion of the top 5 televisions this TV would be number 3 of all TV's.

1. 2010 Panasonic Professional TH-152UX1 4096 x 2160 152 inch plasma (wow 4k x 2k rez nutso)

2. 2008 Pioneer Elite Kuro 9g

3. 2009 Samsung UNxxB8500 Local Dimming LED

4. Panasonic Professional TH-65VX200U

5. 2008 Pioneer non elite Kuro 9g

To be number 3 on my list is quite an accomplishment. I can't believe I'm on the evil dark side of LCD's now. Guess I got a little carried away. Any help with recommended settings would be a blessing. Thank you.

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
3,018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laststop311 /forum/post/19543687

I got a deal I couldn't refuse so I ended up with the 2009 Samsung local LED dimmer un55b8500. 8.5 month old used mint condition for 1600. I've always been a strict plasma fan but this LCD is one of those exceptions. Black level measures the same as a Kuro and it resolves all 1080 lines of motion resolution. All the benefits of a bright LCD display with much less of the drawbacks (off axis viewing is still poor but its a bedroom TV so I have it pointed directly at me). I thought 55 inches would be too big for a TV with a 6 foot viewing distance but it actually doesn't bother me no screen door effect.

Would someone point me in the direction of the best source of information as far as the most comprehensive list of picture settings for this TV? I really would like a good reference point to adjust this set from it would help me so much guys.

I have to say if anyone is looking for the best performing local dimming lcd the Samsung b8500 series is the hands down best. Blooming is very minimal, honestly the only time you can notice blooming is white text scrolling on a black background. During normal video scenes blooming is almost non existent but the black levels are just inky dark. It's black level of .001 matches that of the 9g Kuro panels so you really cant get any better blacks then what this TV can do. The colors have so much POP and rich saturation probably due to the amazing black level that provides a great base for everything else PQ wise. Even with my blinds open and the sun coming in this TV holds its PQ very well much better then the plasma's I'm used to.

In my complete honest opinion of the top 5 televisions this TV would be number 3 of all TV's.

1. 2010 Panasonic Professional TH-152UX1 4096 x 2160 152 inch plasma (wow 4k x 2k rez nutso)

2. 2008 Pioneer Elite Kuro 9g

3. 2009 Samsung UNxxB8500 Local Dimming LED

4. Panasonic Professional TH-65VX200U

5. 2008 Pioneer non elite Kuro 9g

What? The XBR-8 doesn't make the list? Or should it be at #6?

In any case, to answer your question, check this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1204732

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks man. I cant stop staring at this tv. im laying in bed typing on my wireless keyboard with my computer outputting to it now. The PQ is so amazing. I'm obsessed with the b8500 now.

That top 5 is just my opinion on the best quality tv's regardless of price. I've never been a fan of sony's tv's.

·
Registered
8,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laststop311 /forum/post/19543711

thanks man. I cant stop staring at this tv. im laying in bed typing on my wireless keyboard with my computer outputting to it now. The PQ is so amazing. I'm obsessed with the b8500 now.

That top 5 is just my opinion on the best quality tv's regardless of price. I've never been a fan of sony's tv's.

XBR8 is the 2008 LCd king,in the cnet review http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...ml?tag=rvwBody the XBR8 delivers picture quality that's nearly as good as the Pioneer PDP-111FD ( http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...ml?tag=rvwBody ).

Do yourself a favor and hire a PROcalibrator.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the xbr8 may of won in 2008 but i think the b8500 series in 2009 surpassed its performance slightly and no led lcd's surpassed the b8500 in 2010. I would like to get my tv professionally calibrated. I live 30 minutes from cleveland maybe that chad guy from cleveland plasma can calibrate my tv. I just cant believe how this PQ actually rivals and beats most plasmas. Never thought I'd see the day when an LCD looked better then a plasma.

One bad thing I noticed a decent amount of input lag in this tv. Nothing horrendously bad but its enough to where i can slightly notice it. I notice it more then i did with plasma sets.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts