AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there! I'm building my first media room and I have no clue what I'm doing. I've done a lot of research and I got a general idea as to what I want accomplished. A little background: I purchased this house back in November with my fiancé and she gave me the go ahead with full control of the basement
When we got engaged she purchased 60" Kuro for me as a gift. This will be our movie/game screen that will be hung on the wall in (in picture #2 below). I want all of my AV equipment to be placed in the closet shown in pic #3. However, the couch we are going to purchase is a U shape couch ( this one but the two ends will be swapped)and will be placed in picture #1, but it will partially block the closet. My initial plan was to buy a server rack or build some sort of rack system to place all of my stuff in and then put the door back on. Since there will be an oversize couch, it will cover the doorway a little bit so that option is out the door...literary. Now my thoughts have changed and I have no idea what to do now. I was thinking about doing a "built in-wall" shelve system like this one but I have NO clue as to what needs to be done or how to start this!

As you can see in my room there use to be a wall that divided the room in half. I took the wall down, ran my wires through the ceiling from one end to the other and I'm in the process of putting drywall up. I'm not good at this stuff and I have no clue on how to build things or put up drywall. I did a lot of research on how to put up drywall so there shouldn't be any problems in that (I hope). But I have no idea on how to build the rack system! Any DIY forums out there for this kind of stuff? I've googled this a lot but couldn't find any "how to" sites about this. Any idea's as to what I should do? Pictures would help me A LOT! Or a drawn diagram in crayon would help to

Pic#1

Pic#2

Pic#3

Other pics

·
Registered
192 Posts
andy,

your in the right spot. tons of info in this thread.

search here for all your questions.

look at different theater builds guys are doing. you can get alot of ideas and info on how to build. look at the "what i would do different" sticky at the top.

several good inforamative builds, sandman x, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=574704

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=549924

china dog's

and a whole bunch more. look thru this thread

i'm still working on mine. been 2 yrs of fun. just putsying to get it right. tried some stuff and did'nt like it, so i redid it...

my advice is dont jump in with out alot of research.

be prepared to screw it up if yo do it yourslf. ask lots of questions, there are a ton of real savy guys here, pro's and amatures alike. all willing to help.

if you got some extra cash, design it all out and get ahold of "reaper" he'll put it all into 3d, so you can see what it looks like. there are also some other guys doing the 3d renders also. do a search for them.

good luck

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr350x /forum/post/18292966

andy,

your in the right spot. tons of info in this thread.

search here for all your questions.

look at different theater builds guys are doing. you can get alot of ideas and info on how to build. look at the "what i would do different" sticky at the top.

several good inforamative builds, sandman x, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=574704

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=549924

china dog's

and a whole bunch more. look thru this thread

i'm still working on mine. been 2 yrs of fun. just putsying to get it right. tried some stuff and did'nt like it, so i redid it...

my advice is dont jump in with out alot of research.

be prepared to screw it up if yo do it yourslf. ask lots of questions, there are a ton of real savy guys here, pro's and amatures alike. all willing to help.

if you got some extra cash, design it all out and get ahold of "reaper" he'll put it all into 3d, so you can see what it looks like. there are also some other guys doing the 3d renders also. do a search for them.

good luck

Thanks! Think I may go with a Mid-Atlantic BRK28 rack. I may try to build a stand so that the rack can sit up high in the closet. I'm not sure how to get the rack flush to make it look like a built in rack. That's the hard part for me.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
some updates...not that it's huge like some other folks here...

I need some help on how to get the hot air out of this closet when I place my AV stuff in it. The main issue is that there will be a couch covering the door way and when I purchase my rack I will build a stand in the closet to hold the rack up higher than the couch. But my main concern is that heat will build up in there but I'm not sure how much. Without building a duct air system in there, are there any silent fans that will push the air out? Need this to be slient as possible since part of the couch will be covering the door way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts