AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So at the beginning of the year me and the fiance decided to start finishing the basement. I have always wanted a projector so I figured this was the best time to incorporate that idea and make it a media/entertainment room. The main room is about 550sq feet and 2 other rooms sectioned off, one being the laundry/bathroom and the other being the utility room. Both of these rooms wont be getting fully finished.

I don't have many pictures before we started but the previous owners had a few walls with paneling up for some storage and that was about it.

Some of the initial framing

I wasnt a huge fan of hanging drywall on the ceiling or cutting out the lights.

Most of the drywall up
The wall on the left is where the projector screen will be

Initially I was going to drywall the ceiling and leaving a 20x20 inch spot next to the bulk head open then box in the projector. But with only 7ft ceilings that put the projector to low even if i recessed the mount between to floor joists(also left making mount adjustments very difficult). Ended up cutting out part of a joist so i could get then entire mount above the drywall and still able to make adjustments.

I decided to not try my hand at mudding the seams in the main room, instead had my uncle do it.

All primed and painted
Stairway was open on both sides before we started

Projector locations came out great, 2 hdmi wall plate runs under to screen, also ran a sub cable from under the screen to the pillar if i decide to do a nearfield sub placement.

Just a quick projector image on the grey wall to see how it looks. Will be buying a screen soon once i decide between 110 or 120 inch.

Only thing left is crown/baseboard and carpet. Then to pick out some furniture.

·
Registered
Marantz SR 7009/Anthem MXR 720; GE Triton 3; GE Supercenter XXL; GE SuperSat 3; GE SuperSub XXL
122 Posts
Keep it going! It's looking good!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finally got the crown and carpet up.

Got the screen mounted and went and got some pieces from the new besta line at ikea for the equipment console.

Only problem is i had to remove the piece of crown so i could raise the screen higher to give me more clearance for the console and when i put the center channel speaker on top of the console(even now im worried the center will be slightly above the bottom of the screen.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
looking great. What Projector and screen are you using?
It's just a Benq w1070 and a silver ticket 120" but ill be damned it doesn't look great even with moderate light from the glass block windows or the can lights dimmed down.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
looking great. What Projector and screen are you using?
It's just a Benq w1070 and a silver ticket 120" but ill be damned it doesn't look great even with moderate light from the glass block windows or the can lights dimmed down.
Nice! It looks great in the picture. I'm using the silver ticket screen as well. I'm planning to at least build it tonight. How difficult was it to build and attach to the wall?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice! It looks great in the picture. I'm using the silver ticket screen as well. I'm planning to at least build it tonight. How difficult was it to build and attach to the wall?
The screen was very easy to assemble, except for the center brace but even that wasn't to bad. Only the first few stretches of the material were difficult to get over the tabs as well. It's not a bad idea to have 2 people when mounting it to the wall just because of how bulky a 10ft diag screen is.

For the center brace i put the top in place then put the bottom in at an angle. now ill admit it did not look like it was going to fit but i had seen that mentioned before so it wasnt that worrysome. I used a rubber mallet to tab the bottom in place but one thing i ran into was the brace got snagged on one of the open holes on the bottom of the screen that the tensioning tabs go through. I back it off and went to the other side and this time as i tapped with the mallet i pushed the screen material down as flush as i could in front of where the brace was moving and once i got the open hole underneath the brace there was no problem.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
The screen was very easy to assemble, except for the center brace but even that wasn't to bad. Only the first few stretches of the material were difficult to get over the tabs as well. It's not a bad idea to have 2 people when mounting it to the wall just because of how bulky a 10ft diag screen is.

For the center brace i put the top in place then put the bottom in at an angle. now ill admit it did not look like it was going to fit but i had seen that mentioned before so it wasnt that worrysome. I used a rubber mallet to tab the bottom in place but one thing i ran into was the brace got snagged on one of the open holes on the bottom of the screen that the tensioning tabs go through. I back it off and went to the other side and this time as i tapped with the mallet i pushed the screen material down as flush as i could in front of where the brace was moving and once i got the open hole underneath the brace there was no problem.
I got mine assembled last night without much drama. I felt the assembly went smoother than the actual hanging of the screen. The tabs that mount to the wall do not slide well at all so we had to move them and re hang it a few times to get it centered. I also seem to struggle with getting things level on the first try so had to do that over too haha. All in all, first impressions I'm happy with the screen and what a great value it is. seems well made. The center bar wasn't to bad either, I watched a youtube video of some guys doing it and a little force and a small hammer helped tap it into place.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i got the baseboard in and the crown by the screen fixed. Also in the time being i moved the couch from upstairs down here till i get a new couch since there isnt much in the way of media in that room anymore.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Looks very clean and simple... What gear are you using, avr, game console, etc...?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks very clean and simple... What gear are you using, avr, game console, etc...?
Denon AVR x1100
Infinity primus p363 towers
PSA-VX15se Sub
Xbox one
Benq w1070

Just need to pick up a infinity primus center(hopefully it doesnt sit to high)
And eventually pick out rear surrounds to hang from the bulk head

1 - 11 of 11 Posts