AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
12,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, will this do it for me?

Streaming BluRays (MKV)/music/photos via XBMC/Kodi running on a Chromebox (single stream only):

NETGEAR ReadyNAS 104 4-Bay Diskless Network Attached Storage (RN10400-100NAS)
4 x WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Drive: 1 to 8-bay RAID Hard Drive: 3.5-inch SATA 6 Gb/s, IntelliPower, 64MB Cache WD40EFRX

I've got about 100 BRs as of right now (not yet ripped)...figuring ~30GB per movie, I should be able to get ~500 movies in this NAS running RAID5, correct?

I notice the ReadyNAS only has 512MB RAM, will this be an issue at all since I won't be doing any transcoding?

·
Registered
987 Posts

Streaming BluRays (MKV)/music/photos via XBMC/Kodi running on a Chromebox (single stream only):

4 x WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Drive: 1 to 8-bay RAID Hard Drive: 3.5-inch SATA 6 Gb/s, IntelliPower, 64MB Cache WD40EFRX

I've got about 100 BRs as of right now (not yet ripped)...figuring ~30GB per movie, I should be able to get ~500 movies in this NAS running RAID5, correct?

I notice the ReadyNAS only has 512MB RAM, will this be an issue at all since I won't be doing any transcoding?
Yes the Netgear RN104 will work fine since you won't be doing transcoding with it. That takes a big load off the cpu. I use an RN104 for media streaming and it works great. It is a fantastic bargain and I highly recommend it. Just don't load it with apps like Plex and you will be fine. Plus it has dual gigabit ports as well which opens up network bandwidth too.

Bob Silver
Netgear Networking Advisor

·
Registered
12,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Might be some stupid questions, but; ;)

I'm assuming I will need a keyboard, mouse and monitor for the NAS...? Will these need to be connected at all times or only during initial setup and when I need to make any changes?

What does the operating system look like? Anything like Windows??

I just connect the NAS directly to my modem/router via ethernet, correct??

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Thanks!

Might be some stupid questions, but; ;)

I'm assuming I will need a keyboard, mouse and monitor for the NAS...? Will these need to be connected at all times or only during initial setup and when I need to make any changes?

What does the operating system look like? Anything like Windows??

I just connect the NAS directly to my modem/router via ethernet, correct??
Yep, connected directly via ethernet.

No keyboard, mouse or monitor will be needed for most NAS. It'll probably have a web-based interface to configure it. That is, once it's running on your network, you'd open a browser on another computer on your network and navigate to its IP (e.g., http : // 192.168.1.20), and configure it from there. At least that's how Synology boxes work.

Another way is to log in to it via telnet, which is what I do with my Ubuntu server. It has no GUI, though, so everything there is done from the command line.

·
Registered
12,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, web based interface sounds simple enough. How do I find the IP of the NAS?

·
Registered
12,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, thanks guys!

Am I correct that 16TB in RAID5 will net me about 500 ripped (MakeMKV) BRs?

EDIT: Just found this Raid Calculator...looks more like ~400 if the movies average 30GB each.

How does a RAID5 work if it's only using 1 of the 4 drives for "backup"?

EDIT AGAIN: Nevermind, found it. :)

·
Registered
12,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I pulled the trigger and placed my order! Thanks everybody.

·
Registered
12,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, now that my NAS is on it's way I was perusing the manual and can't find a direct answer;

How will I get my current movies off my PC and onto the NAS? Is it as easy as finding the NAS on the network and dragging and dropping, or is it more complicated than that?

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
OK, now that my NAS is on it's way I was perusing the manual and can't find a direct answer;

How will I get my current movies off my PC and onto the NAS? Is it as easy as finding the NAS on the network and dragging and dropping, or is it more complicated than that?
One way is you can have the NAS show up as a network drive on your computers and just use it like a hard drive.

What I do is fill a 500GB external USB drive with 20 or so Blu then plug that into the NAS and use a quick copy feature.

The name of that quick copy feature will differ on yours... I use Lenovo ... But that's what I do.

You could also rip right to the NAS ...some people do that also.

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
You could also get a 64GB flash drive real cheap to move the movies over. 32GB thumb drive will work for most movies but not the big ones.

I have a Lenovo NAS with 4x4TB and have over 400 on there now... it's over 90% full. (I have over 1200 Blu so I need a couple more of these.)

I bought MakeMKV eventually.. even though it stays free while in beta... I just use it every day.

One thing you may not know yet is about forced sub titles. If a blu has forced subtitles (like alien dialog in Star Wars) then you have to find the forced sub track and if you are real fancy you can edit the MKV header to flag the forced track as a forced track. Then Kodi will display those sub automatically. Because of this, I rip ALL english subs and if I notice a movie is missing a forced subtitle track I go back and edit the MKV header.

Having a basic NAS like this and Chromebox you really can have a system that rivals Kaliedescape. In many ways this type of system is BETTER than Kaliedescape because with the K system you have to rip all the contents of every disc.. that sux. Also, I read the Alto doesn't support DVD anymore ... that also sux.

Finally, my Chromebox makes an amazing music server. Sometimes I use it "headless" meaning I don't have to turn on the projector and therefore don't have to hear the projector fan. I control mine via iphone with Roomie Remote.

Edit - Should mention that when I rip say 20 Blu to my external drive I then run Ember media manager and have it scrape the movies. If it chooses bad poster or fanart I can easily edit that. This way all the "meta" data for my library is with the files themselves. This way in Kodi I always choose "Local .nfo only" and I can import a large library very quickly and I don't use space on the Chromebox Hard Drive for metadata.
Ember Media Manager is free and also does TV series.
-Brian

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Awesome, web based interface sounds simple enough. How do I find the IP of the NAS?
The pic on Amazon shows a display on the front that displays the IP.

Once you set it up, you'll be able to map a drive on your PC. Then it's drag-n-drop.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Exactly. Once the NAS is mapped as a network drive in Windows, it is indeed drag and drop like any other harddrive, except better cos I can leave it on always and access it from my office PC. Also play music and movies from it 24/7 without switching on PC.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
How are you guys storing blurays on your pc? Are these hard copies that are transferred, or hd version bought online and stored to a raid configured setup?

Can someone provide me a link to what you guys are using to store all your mivies on? This is all New to me!:confused:

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
How are you guys storing blurays on your pc? Are these hard copies that are transferred, or hd version bought online and stored to a raid configured setup?

Can someone provide me a link to what you guys are using to store all your mivies on? This is all New to me!:confused:

The NAS which is being discussed is used to store movies, I use makeMKV to rip my blu rays then transfer to a NAS.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
The NAS which is being discussed is used to store movies, I use makeMKV to rip my blu rays then transfer to a NAS.
So makeMKV is software that needs to be purchased and downloaded to your p.c. in order to be able to rip BluRays that you own to your p.c., then move them to your NAS! Then your able to stream them to your AVR and watch fhem on your home theater? Am I saying this right? Thanks

Can you also use the same NAS to store your Music, and Pictures as well?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts

Also can I buy this same NAS, except say only 2-2TB HDs instead of 4 right away? And add HDs as extra space is needed?

·
Registered
128 Posts
So makeMKV is software that needs to be purchased and downloaded to your p.c. in order to be able to rip BluRays that you own to your p.c., then move them to your NAS! Then your able to stream them to your AVR and watch fhem on your home theater? Am I saying this right? Thanks

Can you also use the same NAS to store your Music, and Pictures as well?

You can rip them directly to NAS so don't have to move. Can store anything like a harddisk.

You also need a media player to play the files on NAS. The media player plays the video file and outputs to TV, and passes through HD audio to AVR which decodes and outputs the audio to home theater. Better than going to cinema!

Reactions: toddman36
1 - 20 of 46 Posts