AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so heres my first frame that i build for my screen...

its just the beginnng part of my theater project but its coming out good...

specs.

paint:

1 quart of Behr Silver Screen (flat)

1 quart of Behr White Opal Pearlessence

mixed 70/30 mix of 70% Behr Silver Screen (flat) & 30% Behr White Opal Pearlessence

frame: $16 per 8' I use four

black magic eggshell on the frame

all bought in home depot...

for the Behr Silver Screen (flat) you can just go straight to the counter and ask for it.

the Behr White Opal Pearlessence you will find in the Faux finish area.

below are better then pics. i have video construtions of the whole process.

enjoy and please give feeback and constructive critizism. its the only way people will learn i believe...

click for how to videos:

how to mix the 70/30 screen paint

finished frame and painted screen

the complete video series from the start to finishing the frame, and no the room is not done yet...

video 1

video 2

video3

video4

video5

video 6

video 7

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,904 Posts
Pretty darn cool IMO.

'specially yur "helper".
Often is the time I'd wished I had such assistance. My idea of a "extra hand" is my armpit.

No mention of your PJ's make, but the 'vid' shows performance in modest ambient light that suggests that SS/w *** can geturdun.

Nice to see a good job at "Mitering" the Door trim. Even just painted Black it's a "Looker".

Tell the Family we all at AVS are watching 'em
....and it's your fault!

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Kudos for taking the time to make a video and share.

I hope you don't mind a few questions and comments.

I am curious how you arrived at the 70/30 SS+*** mix ratio?

I have had a sample of 1 quart of Behr UPW 1050 tinted "Silver Screen" plus one 16oz. bottle of Behr *** tested by the Behr Color Lab and two other people. The results results were: RGB = 204 206 204 ~ 205 205 207 ~ 207 207 207. So I am just wondering why such a careful measuring of the ingredients? It just seems like an extra bit of complexity that is not really necessary.

I just watched your video again to see if you state where the mix ratio comes from. I noticed that you are actually are using a 75% / 25% mix since you mixed 3 parts SS with 1 part *** for a total of 4 parts. 3/4 = 75% SS and 1/4 = 25% ***. So I am wondering if you misunderstood the 70/30 instructions or were you supposed to make 3:1 ratio mix?

With the lower *** content, you were able to get away with the typical wall painting technique, so if it was an error in mixing then it saved you on the rolling technique. Sometimes two wrongs do make a right.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/14317289

Pretty darn cool IMO.

'specially yur "helper".
Often is the time I'd wished I had such assistance. My idea of a "extra hand" is my armpit.

No mention of your PJ's make, but the 'vid' shows performance in modest ambient light that suggests that SS/w *** can geturdun.

Nice to see a good job at "Mitering" the Door trim. Even just painted Black it's a "Looker".

Tell the Family we all at AVS are watching 'em
....and it's your fault!

lol... the armpits are a mans best friend...

my helper is only 8 years old, and she helps me with every project...

im a pretty good wood worker so im teaching her everything i know...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddler /forum/post/14317293

Is that one bottle 16oz. bottle of *** added to a quart of Behr SS?

i got the info from a fellow member here that i found searching on google, which is how i found this great forum...

source of screen paint mix

what i did was calculated what 70% and 30% of a quart is, so here's the math...

70% of 1 quart= 22.4 ounces

30% of 1 quart= 9.6 ounces

I bought a cup that has ounce measurements on it and measured it there...

put it on a bigger bowl and mixed it...

how to mix the 70/30 screen paint

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
The link to the source of the information is broken.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:

I just watched your video again to see if you state where the mix ratio comes from. I noticed that you are actually are using a 75% / 25% mix since you mixed 3 parts SS with 1 part *** for a total of 4 parts. 3/4 = 75% SS and 1/4 = 25% ***. So I am wondering if you misunderstood the 70/30 instructions or were you supposed to make 3:1 ratio mix?

really wasn't hard at all. I use to paint for many years so I can just eye ball measurements pretty close to accurate. and yes you can say it's a 3:1 ratio but if I were to write 3:1 instead of explaining in detail, than I would get a humongess amount of email and questions on qhat that is....

I hope its not to confusing, I tried to explain it in as much detail as possible..

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,904 Posts
.....of course, that Fellow found it all on AVS DIY Screens.

What goes around comes around, and thats why we all do what we can do to bring such info to the mainstream. Well, to the Forum mainstream at least.

Does anyone dispute that DIY Screens has played an important part in the generation of interest in Front projection over the last few years?

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Kudos for taking the time to make a video and share.

I hope you don't mind a few questions and comments.

I have had a sample of 1 quart of Behr UPW 1050 tinted "Silver Screen" plus one 16oz. bottle of Behr *** tested by the Behr Color Lab and two other people. The results results were: RGB = 204 206 204 ~ 205 205 207 ~ 207 207 207. So I am just wondering why such a careful measuring of the ingredients? It just seems like an extra bit of complexity that is not really necessary.

With the lower *** content, you were able to get away with the typical wall painting technique, so if it was an error in mixing then it saved you on the rolling technique. Sometimes two wrongs do make a right.

I had edited my previous post quite a bit after you had replied, so I thought it best to quote it here.

I did not see any specifics in the page you linked so it is still ambiguous what mix ratio was being suggested.

I hope you don't think I am nit picking because there really is a good reason to sort this out. BUT first of all your screen worked out well for you and that is the most important point, Right!?

Let me describe the mixing instruction that I am familiar with and you will see why I am trying to follow up on this.

1) Get a quart of Behr UPW Flat #1050 tinted "Silver Screen" Code? (SS), and a 16oz. bottle of Behr White Opal Pearlescent (***).

2) Using a squirrel cage mixing attachment for your drill, mix the SS really well (if you just had it mixed then this is not necessary). Also shake the *** for a few minutes.

3) Pour the contents of the SS into a 2 quart mixing container. Using a spatula or stir stick coax as much of the paint out of the can as possible. Pour the contents of the *** in with the SS.

4) Measure the hight of the *** bottle and place a mark at the 1/4 height level. Fill the bottle to that mark with cool clean water (distilled if you have it). Replace the lid on the *** bottle and shake it really well. Now pour the water into the mixing container. This will get all those stubborn little mica flakes out of the bottle. The added water will also help the paint to level out better.

5) Mix the SS+***+H2O really well with the mixer. Do this every time you are going to draw off some of the mix to paint with.
Now this mix requires that you use at least the Basic Roller Painting Instruction and since there are pearl flakes in the *** I would also be sure to only down roll when coming back across the last two strips. This is to ensure the flakes are all laying the same across the screen.

So you can see there are some big differences in what you did and what has been recommended here. First of all the mixing is much simpler and ensures all those precious flakes made it into your mix. The higher *** content will better neutralize the SS color balance, and will add more gain but not too much. The only thing that might be considered a downside is the painting must be done using a down rolling technique when you back roll the previous strip.

I am in the process of doing some documentation on various mixes and methods and this has made me reconsider including the mixing instructions for the SS+***.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/14317718

.....of course, that Fellow found it all on AVS DIY Screens.

What goes around comes around, and thats why we all do what we can do to bring such info to the mainstream. Well, to the Forum mainstream at least.

Does anyone dispute that DIY Screens has played an important part in the generation of interest in Front projection over the last few years?

true so true, but thats whats so great about forums in general...

someone helped him, he helped me and hopefully I can help someone...

more video to come so keep a look out...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddler /forum/post/14317748

I hope you don't think I am nit picking because there really is a good reason to sort this out. BUT first of all your screen worked out well for you and that is the most important point, Right!?

So you can see there are some big differences in what you did and what has been recommended here. First of all the mixing is much simpler and ensures all those precious flakes made it into your mix. The higher *** content will better neutralize the SS color balance, and will add more gain but not too much. The only thing that might be considered a downside is the painting must be done using a down rolling technique when you back roll the previous strip.

No I dont think your picking, I incourage people to give feedback, just makes me do better...

I wish I found your mix recipe, I look and look for that best one but the on I got just kept popping up so I just used it...

the *** only came in a quart size in my local HD but really it isnt that hard of a mix. I see how yours will work but I think it will confuse alot of newbies who dont even know how to use a brush let alone a roller... I almost use my paint sprayer but my wife won that battle...

I'm going to build a sreen frame for my brother so I will definatly use your mix and compare simplicity with final image results...

thanks again tiddler

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeykissimmee /forum/post/14317867

No I dont think your picking, I incourage people to give feedback, just makes me do better...

I wish I found your mix recipe, I look and look for that best one but the on I got just kept popping up so I just used it...

the *** only came in a quart size in my local HD but really it isnt that hard of a mix. I see how yours will work but I think it will confuse alot of newbies who dont even know how to use a brush let alone a roller... I almost use my paint sprayer but my wife won that battle...

I'm going to build a sreen frame for my brother so I will definatly use your mix and compare simplicity with final image results...

thanks again tiddler

As far as I know the Behr *** only comes in the 16oz. bottles.

The nice thing is there really is no measuring to mix the paints. If the newbie screwed up and filled the *** half way with the water it would still be OK. Like I said the more *** the more careful the application must be.

If you have a link to any detailed information regarding the 70/30 mixing I would appreciate it. I'm not sure who's interpretation of that is correct. I am assuming 70 and 30 of the final mix while you assumed it was 70 and 30 percent of a quart. I would like to chase that down if possible.

Thanks again for sharing and helping with these details.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,904 Posts
Hi Tod,

Your in up n Canuck Land and up there *** is in fact sold n 16 oz'ers

In the States it's always 32 oz.

But gosh...I don't think everything has to be dumbed down or made so simple that it becomes an "eye closed" kind of thing. Buit's a moot issue anyway Ules your a Canadian.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/14318252

Hi Tod,

Your in up n Canuck Land and up there *** is in fact sold n 16 oz'ers

In the States it's always 32 oz

They are probably the same price though!

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
I just watched the mixing video again. I just realized you did not use the whole quart of SS. So you did actually mix 7 parts SS to 3 parts ***. This is just shy of the 2:1 mix I had tested.

Another way to do the math is to take the whole 30 oz of SS and multiply by 30/70 to get 12.8 oz of ***. Lets round that off to 13oz. ***. Note a quart of base paint usually has about 2 ounces missing to allow for the colorants.

Anyway the point is for all intents and purposes you used pretty close to the 2:1 mix I had tested so your resulting screen is a neutral gray with an RGB of about 205 205 205. The addition of the *** boosts the on axis gain so the whites don't take quite as big a hit as with plain old flat SS.

Sorry about the mixup, it was my mistake for not noticing you did not use the whole quart of SS.

I also noticed the paint can looks like it says Valspar on it. Did you get the Silverscreen tint mixed in the Valspar Ultra Premium Flat base?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddler /forum/post/14328299

I just watched the mixing video again. I just realized you did not use the whole quart of SS. So you did actually mix 7 parts SS to 3 parts ***. This is just shy of the 2:1 mix I had tested.

Another way to do the math is to take the whole 30 oz of SS and multiply by 30/70 to get 12.8 oz of ***. Lets round that off to 13oz. ***. Note a quart of base paint usually has about 2 ounces missing to allow for the colorants.

Anyway the point is for all intents and purposes you used pretty close to the 2:1 mix I had tested so your resulting screen is a neutral gray with an RGB of about 205 205 205. The addition of the *** boosts the on axis gain so the whites don't take quite as big a hit as with plain old flat SS.

Sorry about the mixup, it was my mistake for not noticing you did not use the whole quart of SS.

I also noticed the paint can looks like it says Valspar on it. Did you get the Silverscreen tint mixed in the Valspar Ultra Premium Flat base?

very good point there, and yes I didnt use the whole quart because from the research I found here, it says to use 70/30 from the 2 cans. when I did the math on my calculator, 70% of 1 qt is 22.4oz and 30% is 9.6oz. so I just rounded it of to 24oz and 10oz and mixed it. i'm very happy with the way it turned out.

I had house party yeterday and everyone was in aw. lol now I got about 3 more screens to do.

the next one I do I will be using tiddlers formula just to test it out...

there's 2 others that I found that I would like to test. I'll be posting videos on that to...

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeykissimmee /forum/post/14329136

very good point there, and yes I didnt use the whole quart because from the research I found here, it says to use 70/30 from the 2 cans. when I did the math on my calculator, 70% of 1 qt is 22.4oz and 30% is 9.6oz. so I just rounded it of to 24oz and 10oz and mixed it. i'm very happy with the way it turned out.

I had house party yeterday and everyone was in aw. lol now I got about 3 more screens to do.

the next one I do I will be using tiddlers formula just to test it out...

there's 2 others that I found that I would like to test. I'll be posting videos on that to...

If you will have to buy more paint and *** the mixing would be 2 quarts of SS + 1 quart of ***. For a 2:1 mix. If you throw in the leftover SS from the first screen it won't make much difference but it will use up those last few ounces from last time.

I assume your screen looks uniform with no streaks. If so then this mix of SS+*** can be applied with the basic roller method and does not need any down rolling. That means it is in the realm of simple solutions and the ingredients are very easy to come by.

Good Stuff!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts