AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a optoma hd65 on the way and trying to diy a screen. I am looking at doing a blackout fabric on a frame. the screen size will be 100-110". I am looking at hancock fabrics (they are just up the road from me) and they have two different fabrics in a few white colors. One is 50/50 polyester/cotton , the other more expensive is 70/30 polyester/cotton. which would be best to go with? I can not paint the wall since i am in an apartment. i plan on building the screen and having some sort of black fabric background. here is the fabrics:

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Eclips...VVviewprod.htm

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Roclon...VVviewprod.htm

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Roclon...VVviewprod.htm

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Look for a blackout clothe that has a black layer sandwiched between two white outer layers.

Just from looking at your links I would be inclined towards the first 70/30% cloth. It appears to be a bit less white. It probably has the black inner layer. The shift towards gray will also help to deepen the black levels of the projected image.

Note that if you make the screen and determine you need a gray screen to help with ambient light issues, you can paint the BOC screen. It can be done with a roller and a good quality latex paint. But try the BOC as is first of course.

Spray paint is the best option but given your in an apartment rolling might be your only option if you decide painting is necessary.

You should also consider the results shown in the spandex thread.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
I have a friend who has an Optoma HD65. On a 100" screen you will get a very bright colorful image. Using the BOC in a darkened room with the HD65 you should be very pleased with the resulting image quality.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Ya, I was surprised by the picture quality on BOC. Not sure what I bought at Hancocks but it was on sale for $3.99yd. 1 side is smoother and has a plastic/synthetic feel to it (the side I use). The other side look rougher like cotton. The lady at the store was very familiar with it's use for Pj screens.

Edit: No black layer in mine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks alot for the responses. So i guess my best way to go is the blackout cloth b/c if i am not happy i can have a painted screen on it also? Will the painted screen be the same as if on the wall? Problem is im in a apartment and cannot modify anything beyond a couple screw holes i can repatch later. If i decide later to paint, will the boc stretched over a frame be ok or will i need a full back board behind the entire cloth made of plywood or something? My first plan when i decided on a pj was to order screen material off ebay, but i found many sellers were selling blackout as screen material. If i purchase legit screen material to stretch over a frame will i have a better picture than boc or painted boc?

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
BOC does offer the possibility of painting it if you need to go with a gray screen for ambient light tolerance.

One key element to making a stretched BOC screen that is often overlooked, is the need to keep the BOC material away from the frame. This is usually accomplished by putting some molding around the front outer edge of the frame. Then the cloth is held about 1/4" out from the frame once stretched.

Be sure to review this BOC screen build.

With BOC stretched tight over the frame it can be painted by rolling. The key to getting a very smooth rolled painted surface is light roller pressure. The give of the stretched BOC actually forces you to use light roller pressure and therefore produce a smooth finish free of roller tracks. Roller tracks are caused by excessive roller pressure.

I directed you to review the Spandex Screen thread because it offers an alternative to BOC that offers a choice of white, white over black, or a gray screen color without painting.

Of course there is an assumption here that you have the tools and space to assemble a wooden frame to use for any of these fabrics to be stretched over. The same tools can be used to build the black outer border for your screen. Two screws should be adequate to hang the screen, assuming the screws are into studs. In many high-rise apartment buildings the outer walls may have cement behind the drywall. In that case you will want to use good anchors for the screws.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I havn't heard of the additional trim to space it 1/4" . Am i doing this to prevent that part of the screen from having a slightly different picture because of the backgorund? If i am framing with 1x2 boards can i accomplish the same thing just building my screen 2" larger all around and cover this additional 2" of screen that will be on top of the frame boards with black velvet trim? I bought the eclipse blackout fabric in the link above. it is two white fabrics with a black layer in between. Which side should be used for the screen? one side is more like cotton/canvas with less sheen, the other side is slightly smoother with more sheen.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls4ever7
I have never heard of that 1/4" from the frame with the boc. IF you don't do it does it look worse? I'm not going to paint it. I have a light control room and I'm looking at this boc.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...zprd_02117232a

Has anyone tried it?
I saw that same fabric at hancock fabric , its in my link above too. I ended up going with the 9.99 yard eclipse premium boc , bc in person it seemed it was thicker and more white, the budget one looked off white to me. for just the 2.5 yards i needed it wasnt much cost difference. Just make sure you check them out in person first. i am going to start my frame tonight , will let you know how it goes

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finished the screen. only took a couple hours start to finish. i am really happy with how it turned out for it being my first attempt. it came out perfect. i was really worried about stretching as it pretty much has wrinkle until the last few staples, but i followed a diy for canvas stretching made for painters.

the screen is 90x52 . I oversized it on purpose , as my image should be a couple inches smaller all around, i will be making a black border on the screen. Still undecided on how. maybe a wooden frame wrapped in velvet (like door frame/window molding) or possibly just velcro stuck on. Whatever it is , i want to be able to remove the border if i ever decide to paint in the future. I am waiting on my projector to arrive , then will get it set-up and project to see exactly where the border will be so it will be perfect spacing.

One thing i would recommend is going with the highest quality board you can find, mine is framed with 1x3's from home depot (the only ones they had) and they were warped and bent in several places, i dug through probably 50 boards to find the best 4 i could. After getting all the brackets in place and tightened, it is almost completely straight, but still warped slightly. If i had good quality wood, assembly would be much easier. The corner clamps i had were really useful to straighten it out.

I have less than $50 in this. Fabric $26 , corner & T brackets/screws $6, 1x3's $6, staples $3 . Total $41

in the pic you can see my old 43" rear projection tiny lol.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Did you do the frame like tiddler picture or another way(just the wood flat)? Isn't it better to use 1x4? Maybe that's why it came out wrap. What kind of corner brackets did you use? I was thinking of using L brackets, are T brackets better? I'm going to get everything from home depot, I'm sure they have the stuff you use on the website. IF you can, can you check the site and give me the links. Thanks

·
Registered
329 Posts
Also are you able to see the wood in the screen? Does it look different where the wood is at than the non wood part?

What pj are you getting? Do you know if joann's has the eclipse fabric you purchase? I don't have a hancock fabrics near me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i cannot see the wood threw the fabric or where it is. but i took time to make sure all the wood seams were level. i stretched it very tight. i dont think 1x4's would help b/c it is warped in the 1" part of it not the 4". have an optoma hd65 arriving wednesday. i did not put the additional wood to set it off from the frame as in tiddlers picture, but b/c i will be covering the outer edge of my screen where the wood is anyway. i dont know about joanns, you could get the info off the link above and call them to see. as long as it is white blackout fabric it should work, this just seemed thicker

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oh and used 4 corner L brackets, you also use T brackets for a middle support 1x3. it is not majorly warped maybe 1/2" all across, but ileft it leaning on the wall in the opposite way this morning, it might work itself out

·
Registered
329 Posts
I only have L brackets. Do I have to use T brackets for the middle support or will L brackets work? You also use corner braces for the 1" part of the wood?

I have a sharp dt-510 and my room is like a bat cave so, I don't think I need a gray boc. Does the eclipse look more gray than white like the person said above?

What kind of staples did you use?

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
The primary purpose of using the 1/4" molding is to hold the BOC away from the frame so that the cross braces don't push against the back of the BOC. Any sort of bump in the cloth will show in the image. If the cloth is suspended away from the frame then is will be absolutely flat when stretched tight.

I looked at joann.com for blackout cloth. I think the Roc-Lon Budget Blackout® White/White is what you want to use.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls4ever7 /forum/post/19641303

I only have L brackets. Do I have to use T brackets for the middle support or will L brackets work? You also use corner braces for the 1" part of the wood?

I have a sharp dt-510 and my room is like a bat cave so, I don't think I need a gray boc. Does the eclipse look more gray than white like the person said above?

What kind of staples did you use?

You could use l brackets if you need to , t would be better for the braces. the elicpse fabric i have looks bright white. I did not use corner braces on the 1" part, i believe it may split and they don't seem necessary. It really helped to have corner braces to put it together completely straight. i already had some but would recommend getting them if you dont. http://www.harborfreight.com/3-inch-...lamp-1852.html

I dont know what staples , just some i already had in a electric staple gun

1 - 20 of 26 Posts