Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,

i have been reading this forum for months and this is my first post.

i want to put together a new HT system. here is what i have so far:

TV: most likely will buy Panny PT-50L13. sammy HLN507 is my 2nd choice.

DVD: i already own Pioneer DV-525K.

SatTV: will buy Sammy TS160+DirecTV multisat dish to get HD (sat & OTA)

Receiver: plan on Pioneer VSXD-812 mainly because its low price and i heard Pioneer make good low-end receivers.

Speaker: i have JBL 150si or Polk 6005 or 6700 in mind but seriously need advice on this one.

i have $700-$1000 to spend on receiver + 5.1/6.1 speakers. anyone could give me some good advice?

i mainly use the HT system to watch tv/hdtv, dvd, vcd, and sing karaoke. i don't listen to music.

thank you for reading and helping :)

Dave888

·
Registered
199 Posts
Get a Denon 3803 at 6th Ave. I'd tell you how cheap, but I'd get PM'd!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
You'd definitely want to spend more on your speakers than receivers. A Denon 3803 would take up most of your 700-1k budget.

Try AV123 and their ELT 5.1/Denon 1804 package. It's a little above your 1k ceiling, but very much worth it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Datamodel,

you can get that model @ that price at a "for-sure" authorized dealer, Goodguys. free s/h, too!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
6th Ave is an authorized Denon dealer. Once I get up over a couple hundred dollars, I go authorized. Anything $200 or less is a free for all.:)

But I did overshoot the budget. I originally thought it was .7-1K for just the amp. I'd still try to find someway to fit the 3803 in though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alright.

$1250 get me the ELT 5.1 + Denon 1804 receiver. it sounds attractive.

how does the ELT 5.1 compares to Infinity, B&W, or any other 5.1 speaker within that price range?

anyone have any suggestion on other packages (spk+rx) within 1K?

thanks for helping :)

dave

·
Premium Member
4,292 Posts
Check out the Paradigm Cinema series speakers. You can get a 5.1 setup for $700-$1000 and then pair it with a Denon receiver. They sound nice. A couple friends of mine own them.

reaper

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Dave,

I would expect it to compete very well against those speakers you mentioned. Again, it's all subjective, so it'll be up to your ears to decide. Not sure where you're located, but if you want to demo these speakers, try going to Audiogon or AV123 forums and request a demo from an ELT owner in your area.

Here's another thread about the ELTs:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=308709

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
after more research, now i have come to the following options:

Receiver:

1st choice Denon 1803/4

2nd choice Pioneer VSXD-812

Speaker: (not in particular order)

low end

JBL 150si ($450)

Energy Take 5+1 ($500)

Polk RM6700+ sub 303 ($600)

higher-than-low-end (but still low end) :)

Rocket ELT package ($900)

Paradigm Cinema Series ($800)

Acoustic Research HC-6 ($800)

Energy Take 5.2 w/sub ($800)

Seems like I need to go out to listen to them all. Any store in MD/DC/VA area has those speakers?

Also, which system is the bang for the buck to general 'ears'?

Again, I watch a lot of movies.

tHaNKs!!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
My ears are different than your ears. You have to use your ears.:)

·
Registered
605 Posts
dave888, looks like you have some great choices there. I don't think you can go wrong with the Denon 1804 as your receiver. You have some work to do with listening to the speakers that you are considering. I have heard the Rocket, Paradigm, and Energy systems that you are looking at. They all will do the job but at the end of the day I think the Rocket package brought the most performance to the table of the systems that I heard. The center channel on the Rocket package was really heads and feet above the others when it came to clarity and detail. This doesn't surprise me seeing as they are the only internet direct system that you are looking at. NO B&M Store overhead= great performance/price ratio. If you need an audition of the Rockets I would suggest 3 possible options..1) check www.audienvy.com for a ELT owner in your area willing to give an audition. 2) Call either Sean or Steve over at www.********** to see if they will contact an owner for an audition. 3) Buy it, listen to it and the other systems you are considering. If it insn't your favorite of the bunch after 30 days simply return it and you are only out the cost of shipping. I would suggest going with the first 2 options if possible as it will cost you between $40-80 depending on your location for shipping. Good luck with your decision and happy listening! :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.