AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi everybody,

I'm planning my first projection gaming/movie system for my small apartment. I've done a ton of reading recently on this, but I thought I'd run my plan through you guys. 

My current plan is to buy either a BenQ W1080ST or a Optoma GT760 (options welcomed) and hook it up to a XBox One. I'm inept with tools and a bad handyman, so my plan is to simply keep the projector and XBox on a coffee table and fire it at my blank white wall. If the image proves unsatisfactory, I'll thumbtack up a Carl's Place Blackout cloth (as I said, I'm bad with tools). If the sound proves too terrible, I'll put a ZVOX soundbase under the projector. 

Here are some measurements I made:

Max usable width of my wall - 93.5 inches

Distance from wall to very front of couch - 86 inches

Distance from wall to head position (assuming front of couch pillows is a good estimate) - 118 inches

So assuming I have a BenQ W1080ST on max zoom 60'' inches away from the wall on a coffee table I should get a 100'' inch diagonal image that's 87'' inches wide. With the Optoma GT760 I'd only need it to be 45'' inches away so the coffee table could be more centered in the room. 

Does this sound good? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I think this forum was just fine for your post. The picture that you posted over there would have been appreciated here too. You do seem to be a short throw candidate.

·
Registered
30 Posts
@ OP

as also posted in your duplicate thread with pic, you definitely need a short throw PJ.. the shorter the better, since your distance is very short from screen, so that you can use the available distance for the maximum possible pic quality,

Member AV_Integrated,.recommends keeping short throw pj nearer instead of far as there is a recirpocal impact on brightness and contrast in Short throw vs long throw, and the distance from the screen.. Long throw have minimal impact as they have the optics to match.. Short throw should preferably not be used at as long distances.

the 1080 Benq would serve your needs fine. .. instead of using zoom, you can simply mount the PJ directly over your couch. above your heads. in the middle.. that way, it will be obtrusive, invisible in room decor, neater wiring. and wont require your bad tool work.. just a small wood plank 2 feet above your maximum head level in the wall. wont take more than 10 min to simply hammer a flat woden plank stand in a wall.

i would recommend Benq 1080 based on the opinions of many forums members i had discussions with and in private messages and many existing threads in this forum. the Benq is supposedly better in features and sharpness than optoma, in this specific model.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

The BenQ W1080st doesn't have lens shift, vertical or otherwise. Wouldn't that preclude mounting it on a shelf a we bit above my head?

And I'd still probably pay a handyman, lol, to install the shelf.

(And then there's the issue of what to do with the Xbox's Kinect if mounted that way.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts