AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...Is 480p going to give me a thrill after watching 27" crt all my life. I'm in an apartment setting with a 10' throw. I watch standard def DVD movies and occasional broadcast TV (sports, documentaries). I was eyeballing a BenQ

W100 for a few hundred dollars. What do you think? $300 or $400 now or wait until I have more to spend on the project. I do enjoy good quality but, like so many, I'm not rich either. Thanks in advance,

Dana

·
Registered
170 Posts
Let the search begin. I spend months looking but thats just me.

Sounds like you want a short throw PJ. 10' is not that much.

How far is your seating? 10' also or maybe 9' im guessing.

I would look at projectorcentral.com and use pro calculator to check the throw distance, whatever you end up getting.

I use long throws myself.

benQ makes w500 that is short throw and has HQV processor for good tv and SD dvd viewing. might want to read up on that one. Its a LCD PJ.

Do you have digital cable or analog cable?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, seating is 9' and my cable is just basic 13 channel analog out-of-the wall. The projectorcentral.com site is nice; been there quite a bit. TY

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yes 480P will blow you away since this is your first projector.

I started with a 480P projector and it was incredible.

The main downside of 480P is going to be screen size. You will start to see pixels if your screen is too big or you sit too close. I'm using a 73" screen and I could see pixel structure in some scenes at about 12 Ft. I could see pixel structure in all scenes at anything under 9 Ft or so.

If you could you would probably be better off saving up for one of the inexpensive 720P DLPs. Like the Optoma HD70 or Mits 1000. This will probably keep you happy longer and keep you from wanting to upgrade right away. Especially if you want to try out blu-ray or HD-DVD.

No matter what you get when you first see your movies on a big screen in your own place you are gonna be hooked.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
You need to be able to sit 2 times the width of your screen away from a 480p image or you will most likely see Screen Door Effect . A 720p PJ will be more forgiving, allowing you to move up to 1.5 times the width of your screen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts