Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I have been lurking around these boards for quite some time as I'm in the market for an inexpensive projector (<$3000). I found this projector offered from Costco ( http://www.costco.com/frameset.asp?trg=subcat%2Easp&catid=79&subid=2341&log=&NavTo p=) and was wondering if anyone thought this would be a good first projector unit. I noticed that it is basically a rebadged Infocus LP-340, which has been receiving good reviews, and is HDTV compatible. Is there anything I should know with regard to this projector? Also, is there another good choice for less money? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
From what I can remember reading on the forum, it's an OK projector. The price may be a little high though. Some decent XGA projectors are starting to hit close to $3000. You might want to go for the added resolution even if it's a little more money. This puts in a better position for using the projector with HDTV sources.

Also, use the forum search feature to find comprehensive reviews of the the projector. Use the Infocus model number and you should find quite a lot of info.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
If you are referring to the TDP-S2, yes, that is an Infocus 340.

This is the best HT buy under $3000 IMHO. There is a lot of information in this forum about that projector.

See also
http://www.projectorcentral.com

for reviews of the Infocus LP340, and for a database that provides a lot of useful information.

The LP340 and its clones have been selling for around $2500-$2600. So the Costco price is good. You may be able to do better but not a whole lot. You will not go wrong with this projector IMHO.

There is a new model, the Infocus 340B. It apparently has inferior scaling and de-interlacing, so I recommend staying away from the 340B.

Other units to look at include the NEC LT150 (XGA DLP for a bit over $3200 usually), and the Infocus LP350 (same as the LP340 except XGA and under $4000).

Apart from that, wait. This will be a banner year.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.