AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting my first projector please help.

I've got to decide between the NEC PG9200 Extra and the SONY 1272Q Given that these two set up correctly, the NEC has 6000 hours on the tube and the SONY has much less.

Thank you

·
Registered
260 Posts
Have you checked the tubes to see if there is any wear or burn on them? If there is any, how severe is it? Tube wear ,more than hours, is what determines the quality of the picture that you will get from the projector. If the wear on the 9200 isn't too bad, then I would wholeheartedly recommend that you get it. It has EM focus whereas the 1272 only has electrostatic focus. EM focus means that you will be able to get a sharper picture from the pj. I have a 6pg and I love it.

Beware the NEC will be harder to set up than the Sony. But with the pic quality that it is capable of, I would say don't let that discourage you. You will find all you need to know to set it up properly on this great forum. If possible post a pic of the wear and the REAL experts can better advise you.

Johnny

·
Registered
93 Posts
ness,

I currenly own a Sony 1272 and a Marquee 8000, i owed the sony first and when i was looking to upgrade i was compairing Marquees, 9200 and XG's.

the marquee won because of price.

The 9200 would be a better buy because of the tigher focus that you can get, if the tubes aren't too bad.

Here is something else for you consideration. The tubes on the sony aren't rebuildable and getting a new one is getting tougher.

Brian

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
I have an NEC 6100 with about 6K hours on it, and the tubes look great. I would choose that situation over any 12xx in so long as the monetary differences were reasonable (couple of hundred dollars). I also have a 6200 that has similar hours to the 6100, but it has much greater wear. At that point, I would have to take a long, hard look at the condition of the Sony to see what its tubes looked like. If it had good tubes, I would be hard pressed to consider the 6200.

If the 9200 is the same price as the 1272, go for the 9200 in so long as the tubes aren't completely toasted. The 9200 is really about as good as the XG's, and you will be hard pressed to find an "upgrade" from what it can do when properly set-up.

Later,

Bill

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
The 9200 will kick the S**T out of the Sony by far. If the NEC's tubes are in good shape it would be no contest.

Chip S.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Just like everyone else says...no contest the NEC for sure if the tubes are even mildly worn.

Plan to spend whatever time it takes to learn how to set it up properly. They are by no means easy to set up but WOW what a picture it is so so worth the trouble it's not even funny.

Troy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.