AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi everybody,

I'm planning my first projection gaming/movie system for my small apartment. I've done a ton of reading recently on this, but I thought I'd run my plan through you guys. 

My current plan is to buy either a BenQ W1080ST or a Optoma GT760 (options welcomed) and hook it up to a XBox One. I'm inept with tools and a bad handyman, so my plan is to simply keep the projector and XBox on a coffee table and fire it at my blank white wall. If the image proves unsatisfactory, I'll thumbtack up a Carl's Place Blackout cloth (as I said, I'm not very handy with tools). If the sound proves too terrible, I'll put a ZVOX soundbase under the projector. 

Here are some measurements I made:

Max usable width of my wall - 93.5 inches

Distance from wall to very front of couch - 86 inches

Distance from wall to head position (assuming front of couch pillows is a good estimate) - 118 inches

So assuming I have a BenQ W1080ST on max zoom 60'' inches away from the wall on a coffee table I should get a 100'' inch diagonal image that's 87'' inches wide. With the Optoma GT760 I'd only need it to be 45'' inches away so the coffee table could be more centered in the room. 

Does this sound good? Any suggestions?

The TV will be eliminated and you can see the specific coffee table in the photo. Also the "gap" in the door screen is not permanent. 

.)

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Personally I think you'd be better off spending that money on a decent 55-60" LED flat panel. I think you'd be much happier with the results and the image quality given the setup.

Having the projector on a table is also going to be difficult if you intend to use the Kinect games at all - as you'll be moving around in the path of the projector's beam.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Personally I think that is wayyyyy too close.

One of my ex's had a 72" or 80" Mistu DLP tv ( cant remember which) but we sat like 8 ft away and it was completely ridiculous.

I am all about big stuff, but that is toooo small a space IMHO.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

One of the things I like about the projector option is portability and lack of cumbersomeness - if I ever move to a different apartment (or change cities) I suppose it's easier to move a projector than an ungainly TV.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but if the image is too huge I can simply movie it closer. Heck, I could keep the coffee table up against the wall like it is now and still get a 40'' inch image or so. 

If I do go the smaller TV route, any reason to go with LED LCD over plasma?

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czilla9000  /t/1510176/my-first-projector-setup-w-photo-for-xbox-one#post_24179238

One of the things I like about the projector option is portability and lack of cumbersomeness - if I ever move to a different apartment (or change cities) I suppose it's easier to move a projector than an ungainly TV.

Ungainly? You have it easy... That TV can be easily carried by any two people (just for stability - not weight). Try moving a 30"+ CRT or god forbid a rear-projector...

But you point about "a different apartment" is very appropriate. A TV will work in most any room, and can certainly migrate to other rooms (the bedroom, for example) over time, too. Ensuring your next place would be laid out to accommodate a projector at all is probably 50/50 at best. A TV can go most anywhere, even if it's not optimal. Projector needs a big blank wall and distance - not things that are guaranteed to be there.
Quote:
And correct me if I'm wrong, but if the image is too huge I can simply movie it closer. Heck, I could keep the coffee table up against the wall like it is now and still get a 40'' inch image or so. 

Moving it closer just means it's more and more in the way of everyday life... And really, for your budget and likely screen sizes, you're really not getting the benefits of a projector. Also - what are you doing for audio? Projector won't have speakers.
Quote:
If I do go the smaller TV route, any reason to go with LED LCD over plasma?

LEDs are much more popular and widely available for cheap. Plasmas are going away (this will be the last model year for them...) while they have excellent image quality, the LED LCDs have taken over...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I agree. Go with a nice sized tv for now. Think about it this way. If you do move later on let's just say in the next 2 years. There will be better PJ's for the same money you would pay now. Or even get the same pj you plan to now for half the price. then you can move that TV into your new bedroom or some other location in your new place and then buy the new PJ for the new place. At the rate tech goes out of date I never buy until I'm really ready to use. Shoot I plan to have my media room ready by early summer. I'm not buying my pj until that time. You never know what may come out or even if the price will drop.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Yea if your not going big, nix the projector

You'll get a better picture from a panel.

Personally from all the panels I have had. I am partial to plasma.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts