AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I was wondering if somebody with the know how can give me some advice. I'm thinking about buying my first projector and electric screen. I narrowed my choices down to the Sony vlp60 or the Epson 1080ub and I will be installing a 92" screen. I'm going to be sitting about 14ft from the screen and the projector will be same distance from the screen above my head. For that reason I'm leaning towards the Sony because from what I hear it is the quietest of the two and that is important to me. I have a Pioneer 6010 in the room now and the buzz is to much for me, and my wife won't let me sell it, she's loves it. So I figured on putting a motorized screen That will come down in front to keep us both happy. I will mostly be viewing movies and video games at night. The only viewing in the day would be football and I have good control of the light in that room. The walls in the room are a light blue and I don"t know if it matters but the paint is flat not glossy. The reason I picked these two projector's is the good contrast they both have and my budget. Now my big question is screen material because that's were I get stumped, to many to pick from and I just don't know witch one is right for my setup. Please if anybody with experience any info would be greatly appreciated thank you in advance.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
read below

·
Registered
4,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy def /forum/post/12851383

...Sony vlp60 or the Epson 1080ub...I have a Pioneer 6010 in the room now and the buzz is to much for me, and my wife won't let me sell it, she's loves it. So I figured on putting a motorized screen That will come down in front to keep us both happy.

My situation was/is similar to your own but complicated by the fact that I want a 2.35 screen--these (electric) are harder to come by than a 16:9. Do you need Acoustic Transparency (speakers behind the screen)? The SeymourAV is very nice.

There's a mind-boggling amount of info here (and bazillions of opinions, all different); if I were you I'd ask in the Sony and/or Epson owners' threads for advice.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
No how. That's funny!

First, get a 100-inch screen, unless you just can't fit it into the room. Anything less, and some of the guys here won't even talk to you.

Second, get a Da-Lite High Power screen. Two reasons: Plenty of gain (if you are willing to mount your PJ within a foot or two of eye level) for operating the lamp in quiet, low power mode; and less-visible waves, which often occur in roll-up screens.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBoy /forum/post/12855063

No how. That's funny!

First, get a 100-inch screen, unless you just can't fit it into the room. Anything less, and some of the guys here won't even talk to you.

Second, get a Da-Lite High Power screen. Two reasons: Plenty of gain (if you are willing to mount your PJ within a foot or two of eye level) for operating the lamp in quiet, low power mode; and less-visible waves, which often occur in roll-up screens.

No how, that was pretty stupid. Well thank you for bringing to my attention about waves. I knew nothing about this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts