AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I finally went out and got a decent setup for my house. It's 3.1 setup right now and when I get some more money I'll finish it off with a amp and 2 rear surround.

Denon AVR-X2100w

B&W CM8 S2

B&W CM Centre 2 S2

SVS SB-2000 Sub

Any good tips on boosting dialogue in movies ? I have a big mid tone loss in my left ear and I have a hard time hearing the dialogue in movies.

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Can you seperate your L and R speakers more? they are too close together...other than that, good looking system and some nice, neutral speakers!

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I am assuming you ran the auto calibration for your receiver already.

What were the settings it set for the speakers?

You can always boost the center channel 3db on the receiver menu it might help. Also check the crossover for the center. I wouldn't go lower than 80hz there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am assuming you ran the auto calibration for your receiver already.

What were the settings it set for the speakers? I was going to cut the center off at 80hz too.

You can always boost the center channel 3db on the receiver menu it might help. Also check the crossover for the center. I wouldn't go lower than 80hz there.
I'm going to run the setup once I have everything in place.

Hard to tell how far back in the stand your center is from the pic but you might try moving the center out as far as you can and see if that helps.
I can try that as well.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Run Audyssey.
Boost the Dialogue Level from your center channel a few dB.
Set Dynamic Compression to medium or high.
Turn Cinema EQ on to soften the upper treble range.
If those don't work, adjust the graphic equalizer. Try rolling off a little at 63Hz if there is too much bass that muddies the dialogue. Try boosting from 1kHz to 4kHz to improve intelligibility and clarity. Boosting at 4kHz will add some brightness.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Try to angle your center channel up - making sure that the tweeter is aiming for your ears. That might help :)

Also, look into acoustic treatments (Gik Acoustics, Real Traps, etc.).

Good looking B&Ws, btw.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
If you see an additional outside amp in your near future certainly upgrade.

Have you had to turn the volume up quite high on your Denon to get the audio you want? It should have enough power given the sensitvity of your 8ohm speaker of 88db-89db.

Your towers are only rated up to 150watts RMS.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you see an additional outside amp in your near future certainly upgrade.

Have you had to turn the volume up quite high on your Denon to get the audio you want? It should have enough power given the sensitvity of your 8ohm speaker of 88db-89db.

Your towers are only rated up to 150watts RMS.
I'm watching TV and listening to music at 60-75 volume level on the Denon.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I'm watching TV and listening to music at 60-75 volume level on the Denon.
What were the settings that Audyssey set you speakers at? Sometimes Audyssey can set the speakers a bit wrong.

Sorrt but volume 60-75 means little to me (do not turn the the receiver to max while playing audio but what is the max level). To have have Decible(db) meter to see how loud your speakers are?

I rarely have had to even turn up my under powered receiver to more than 50%

1 - 16 of 16 Posts