AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening gents,

I am trying to get a sound system for my home together with the TV and I am asking for some assistance and recommendations from the experts.

I went to BB Magnolia Center a few times in order to check speakers and I have now some understanding.

Since this is my first "real" sound system and I know I can later upgrade, move these speakers for the surround, etc, this would look like this.

I am between a 2.1 and 3.1 - thoughts?

These are the options I am checking:

2.1:
- Left and right ML Motion 15s
- Sub ML Dynamo 700
- Marantz SR5009 or SR6009

3.1:
- Left and right ML Motion 15s
- Center ML Motion 30
- Sub ML Dynamo 700
- Marantz SR5009 or SR6009

- Am I missing something?
- Do you think it makes sense?
- Which one would you choose?
- Would you change any of the elements mentioned for a different one?
- Any other brand or better combination?

Thank you very much

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
I once owned a Martin Logan Dynamo 500....a "dynamo" it was not. Martin Logan makes some great speakers, ML does not make great subs.
Subs from SVS, Rythmiks, Outlaw, Reaction audio, HSU will outperform the Dynamo, IMHO!

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
I would spend less on the receiver, and more on the speakers/sub. Your receiver is not going to impact sound quality, just about everything out there has sufficient power to handle your speakers, so you just need to buy the features you need.

Figure out what features you need, and buy accordingly. Just know you will pay more because it says "Marantz", when really it is just a nicer looking Denon.

And I agree on the sub, stay away from Martin Logan subs, and to be frank, there aren't any subs at Best Buy worth your money. Internet direct brands offer so much more performance/dollar, and that $800 can get you something really nice like the HSU VTF3-MK5.

Regarding your system size, I would focus on a good 2.1 system for now. This lets you invest in a better sub initially, and then in the future you can add a matching center and some surrounds.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Get this instead of the Marantz: MASH

Use the savings to get two subs from a great ID brand like mentioned above. Check the dedicated "Subwoofer" thread for more info.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I once owned a Martin Logan Dynamo 500....a "dynamo" it was not. Martin Logan makes some great speakers, ML does not make great subs.
Subs from SVS, Rythmiks, Outlaw, Reaction audio, HSU will outperform the Dynamo, IMHO!
Martin Logan makes good subs, depends on which one your looking at. Dynamo 1500x, balance force 210/212 are awsome subs. Also, it depends how big of a sub he wants. His needs might not be the same as others. But, yes, those other brands will give you better bang for your buck.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
My point exactly...on a limited budget, which most of us are, you need to get the most for your money. As others have pointed out, the AV receiver he has choosen might not be the best bang for the buck, considering his budget and I would argue the same for the subwoofer- he can get a better performer for cheaper by going ID brand!

·
Registered
19,542 Posts
- Would you change any of the elements mentioned for a different one?
- Any other brand or better combination?

Thank you very much
If you want Martin speakers, then that is cool

I would not spend for the Marantz 6009 over the 5009

However as stated - I would go for a different sub

HSU VTF-2 sub
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk4.html

Or, Outlaw Ultra-X12
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/ultra.html

And, I would take a look at the Reaction Gamma 15
http://reaction-audio.myshopify.com/collections/subwoofers/products/gamma-15?variant=1107629493

And, HSU VTF-3 MK5
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk5HP.html

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your answer, appreciate it. I will keep that in mind then and try other subs...

I would spend less on the receiver, and more on the speakers/sub. Your receiver is not going to impact sound quality, just about everything out there has sufficient power to handle your speakers, so you just need to buy the features you need.

Figure out what features you need, and buy accordingly. Just know you will pay more because it says "Marantz", when really it is just a nicer looking Denon.

And I agree on the sub, stay away from Martin Logan subs, and to be frank, there aren't any subs at Best Buy worth your money. Internet direct brands offer so much more performance/dollar, and that $800 can get you something really nice like the HSU VTF3-MK5.

Regarding your system size, I would focus on a good 2.1 system for now. This lets you invest in a better sub initially, and then in the future you can add a matching center and some surrounds.
That's a good idea. Thanks for the advise. Also something I learnt today or I was told that there are not receivers with HDCP 2.2 yet and that will come in the summer... I may need to wait till we have one available then...

Get this instead of the Marantz: MASH

Use the savings to get two subs from a great ID brand like mentioned above. Check the dedicated "Subwoofer" thread for more info.
Cool, I will take a look. I suppose it does not have HDCP 2.2 right? Would you get it anyway since when HDCP 2.2 is actually enabled all the devices will need to support it?

Martin Logan makes good subs, depends on which one your looking at. Dynamo 1500x, balance force 210/212 are awsome subs. Also, it depends how big of a sub he wants. His needs might not be the same as others. But, yes, those other brands will give you better bang for your buck.
So what about the Dynamo 700? Do you think with the system I mentioned a 1500 would be necessary? I think it would be overkill right?

My point exactly...on a limited budget, which most of us are, you need to get the most for your money. As others have pointed out, the AV receiver he has choosen might not be the best bang for the buck, considering his budget and I would argue the same for the subwoofer- he can get a better performer for cheaper by going ID brand!
YEP :)

If you want Martin speakers, then that is cool

I would not spend for the Marantz 6009 over the 5009

However as stated - I would go for a different sub

HSU VTF-2 sub
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk4.html

Or, Outlaw Ultra-X12
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/ultra.html

And, I would take a look at the Reaction Gamma 15
http://reaction-audio.myshopify.com/collections/subwoofers/products/gamma-15?variant=1107629493

And, HSU VTF-3 MK5
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk5HP.html
Thank you very much for the recommendations, I will review them as well. So the SR5009 should do the job with no issues. What about HDCP 2.2? The same as the other right?

Thank you all!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also heard that some receivers that have the HDCP 2.2 (I think it was an Onkyo) are using the lowest BW so you may end up having issues when all this is done...?

They also tried to sell me a $2k denon upgradable to HDCP 2.2 sending it after it is necessary

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Acolas, I got the Dynamo 700 free when I bought the EM ESL's.. At the time,I had a power sound xv15. It would destroy the dynamo 700. If your not watching movies at really loud levels,and don't care about really deep bass that can shake the fillings in your mouth,then the 700 would be fine. The DVD SB/PB 2000 would do much better. Pretty much any ID sub in the Dynamo's price range or just a like more would spank it. If you want a moderate sub that is small,the dynamo might work well for you.. Just remember,you can always take it back.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
The ML speakers for the front 3 speakers are great if you like their sound.

As others said I would steer very clear of the ML Dynamo 700 subwoofer. It is a complete rip-off. Buy a subwoofer from an internet direct company you will get far better performance for the money you spend.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Acolas, I got the Dynamo 700 free when I bought the EM ESL's.. At the time,I had a power sound xv15. It would destroy the dynamo 700. If your not watching movies at really loud levels,and don't care about really deep bass that can shake the fillings in your mouth,then the 700 would be fine. The DVD SB/PB 2000 would do much better. Pretty much any ID sub in the Dynamo's price range or just a like more would spank it. If you want a moderate sub that is small,the dynamo might work well for you.. Just remember,you can always take it back.
Thank you! That was a good deal then... And what do you think between LX16 and Motion 16?

The ML speakers for the front 3 speakers are great if you like their sound.

As others said I would steer very clear of the ML Dynamo 700 subwoofer. It is a complete rip-off. Buy a subwoofer from an internet direct company you will get far better performance for the money you spend.
Thanks , really appreciate the advise, will take a look at other options too :)

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I don't know if I've heard the LX16's,I've heard the Motion 15's. I was impressed with the Motion 15's. PS. I sold the dynamo 700 for $500. So it was a great deal,means my ESL's cost $1700..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts