AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently got a PSB Image T6 & Marantz 7005. Got pretty many helpful suggestions and am glad I got the PSB's

I am now on the lookout for a sub for the same system. I do not have much experience as I am a novice user. Hence will give you pro's the necessary details and allow you to suggest what could best fit my needs, and like most others would like to get the best bang for the buck.

1. Usage: Movies & Music (50-50)....a bit of gaming now and then.

2. Budget: 600$ Max, prefer within 500$ (Budget for sub alone).

3. Target Room Size: 20 x 14 x 10 roughly (Current room size is smaller 12 x 14 x 10, have plans to build a bigger one.)

4. I think i prefer tight and punchy bass. I dont like when 'bass drags'.

5. I also do listen at High Volumes. I drive my PSB T6 in my current room around 0 dB in volume now and then.

6. I am not in a hurry to get a sub. If there is a possibility of a price drop in a gr8 sub, I can wait. But, getting a used sub is not of option as I live in India. So will have to get new one & get it shipped.

Please suggest an appropriate sub. Do tell, If you feel I need to make a compromise somewhere.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaQBlogs /forum/post/0

Thanks...will have a look at it. Seems within my range. Are there any other subs worth considering in this budget?

Epik Legend for $499 plus shipping. http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/legend.html

HSU Vtf2-Mk3 for $509 plus shipping. http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2-mk3.html

Those are the best 3 subs at this price range (Rythmik FV12, Epik Legend, HSU Vtf2-Mk3). And lot better than most Klipsh, Polk, Infinity and any other commercial subs with a higher price range.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks...i did not list down the Epik Legend nor the Rythmik FV12 when I researched myself
. Was looking at Earthquake, Velodyne, SVS & HSU. I bumped first 2 off the list after reading a few threads at audioholics & here.

I can get the SVS SB12-NSD at almost the same price from a dealer back here itself...bit it dosent seem to have great reviews compared to the 3 suggested oones....but If I choose either of the 3 I will need to ship it from US to india...of course loose out on warranty, ect. (Not sure if subs have a tendency to run into problems)

Also how much better off is the SVS PC12-NSD DSP compared to the 3. The final cost would be about $150 more. This is without bargaining...not sure if the dealer will bargain at all. Some dealers are hard a**es & wont budge even a bit.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
does anyone know what the margin for the SVS subs are? I mean from what IO understand, there is a MSRP price, and then these are sold to internet direct dealers at a much lower price. I remember a post I bumped across earlier which put the profit margin about 40-50%. Does anyone know what it is like for SVS subs...? With this knowledge I could calculate worst case shipping & import then know what room I have to bargain with

The price listed is 700$ for the SVS PC12-NSD DSP. Is this the MSRP or is the MSRP higher?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Well, SVS itself sells them (direct off their website) for $700, with no mention of MSRP, so I suspect that is the MSRP.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
But SVS also sells through other outlets, like overseas where the OP is from (and apparently through a few online places as well.) So they kind of do have an MSRP, just not through themselves.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/0

But SVS also sells through other outlets, like overseas where the OP is from (and apparently through a few online places as well.) So they kind of do have an MSRP, just not through themselves.

I didn't read that the OP was from overseas. It would be impossible to have MSRP...second word being standard for other overseas sellers because the overseas vendors have to pay to have the product shipped.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
He's in India, so he's wondering if the prices his SVS dealer is selling them at are marked down or not, even taking shipping them from SVS to India into account. Mainly he's interested in buying SVS in India from his dealer verses shipping an HSU or something from the States.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/0

He's in India, so he's wondering if the prices his SVS dealer is selling them at are marked down or not, even taking shipping them from SVS to India into account. Mainly he's interested in buying SVS in India from his dealer verses shipping an HSU or something from the States.

From other threads I have read...the people who sell these sub's overseas basically get to set their own pricing. Some if not most don't even have the sub's in their inventory. They are taking your order and having the product shipped overseas because they have the means to do so. There are people who make pretty good money just setting up shipping containers from the US to overseas. For instance my dad works in an overseas country and they make deals all the time with the locals in 3rd world countrys to get them air conditioners because it takes someone on both ends...here and there to get the product there.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
From his third and fourth posts, he said he can get some of the same subs for the same US prices. I guess they eat the shipping costs. Of course, $700 for someone in India could be way different than here.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pochoboy /forum/post/0

yeah, makes you wonder if SVS is shipping the plate amp, driver to India and having the locals do the box.

That'd make more sense since the labor is cheap in India.

They knockoff everything in Asia. I wouldnt be surprised if it isn't even SVS parts.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/20771121

From his third and fourth posts, he said he can get some of the same subs for the same US prices. I guess they eat the shipping costs. Of course, $700 for someone in India could be way different than here.
Quote:
I can get the SVS SB12-NSD at almost the same price from a dealer back here itself...bit it dosent seem to have great reviews compared to the 3 suggested oones

My bad...i meant it would cost the same price as either of the 3 would cost if I get it shipped from the US....the SVS SB12 from indian dealer with warranty would cost me just as much. Shipping it roughly comes to 550$ (sub price) + 500$ (shipping + customs). So If i get a much better value for money from either of the 3 then I would probably ship that one...and hope it dosent have any major issues.

Quote:
yeah, makes you wonder if SVS is shipping the plate amp, driver to India and having the locals do the box.

That'd make more sense since the labor is cheap in India.

I doubt that as...The finishing would be bad if it was done here, this is not a mass product as market for such HiEnd products is still very small back here. It is imported as a whole box...exactly why we end up having to pay twice as much as you guys...damn!!
We had an HSU dealer until recently, and if there were any issues, HSU expected the dealer to send the whole sub back all the way for repairs...they would not send parts to let the dealer fix it himself nor accept only the driver or the amp unit which needed to be fixed, which is why the HSU dealer decided to shut shop...as shipping is too expensive, & eventually the customer will be billed.

Most of the ignorant folks with lots of dough buy Bose....and ones who are looking to save dough buy the mass market boxed systems frm LG..Philips...Samsung...and so on. I too had bought a sony until recently, when I bumped into an amusing Bose bashing thread and then I ended up at audioholics & here...and then my 'PSB T6' followed
. I used to wonder why on earth do I have such a hard time following the dialogues & used to crank up the volume really high on the sony HTIB. My PSB T6 does a wonderful job of it without even the center yet.

Quote:
They knockoff everything in Asia. I wouldnt be surprised if it isn't even SVS parts.

I sometimes have this feeling for some stuff...but these HiEnd stuff are the same stuff you get back there. I think when a company chooses to target 'the numbers' then they end up compromising quality big time...how else can they get the customer to buy again in another year

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/20770991

Quote:

Thats right. I wrote to the dealer & just got a reply on the prices. He mentioned the MSRP for SB12*NSD is 1200$
...and he is offering at 1100$.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've also got PSB Image T6's, altough they are paired with a denon 3808. I had a Bid v1220, but just upgraded to an ED a5-350. If you've got the room for it, I would strongly consider it. It's an earth shaker, literally.

My room is 18x20x9 fyi.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.