AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since I was a little kid, I always wanted a Big TV room. Then when I started reading magazines where the elite rich had "movie room" with real film projectors, I wanted that.

So finally 50 years later I decided to build one but with a digital projector and not a film projector. :)

I started by deciding to build my own speakers. I used the diysoundsgroup and purchased Volt -10s for Atmos and Surround speakers and I got Cinema-10 for the Center/Left/Right speakers.

I started by having a friend put together the crossovers.

Then I started to build all of the boxes for the first 11 speakers (Subs to come later)

Then put the boxes together.

Subs are next... :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I decided to go with a acoustically transparent screen so I had to build out a wall which shortened my room so my throw distance is smaller but I have a plan for that. (more on that later) :)

After looking at my space and that I want a really BIG screen. I went with a 185" 2.35 screen from EluneVision in Canada. http://www.elunevision.com/audioweave-fixed-features.html

I know this sounds huge but I wanted huge!! LOL

First comes the built out wall

You can see the tape marks of were I put the screen sizes when I was trying to decide how big a screen to go.

All done with Speaker boxes put in to make sure everything is laid out ok.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I decided that I wanted the screen to be hinged so it could raise up and down. This would give me access to the speakers and electronics behind the screen.

I searched all over this forum and a number of people have hinged their screen but I wanted mine to be motorized and one a remote control...

I couldn't find anyone who had done this so I started from scratch. I first had to figure out how to hinge the screen. Thanks to the few that replied to that thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/2514009-hinge-suggestion-needed-acoustic-screen-lift.html

I decided to go with two Linear actuators (12V DC 12 in. Stroke 135 lb) by hydroworks and a Versa 7 Wireless control system by Concentric.

It took me days to figure out how to install these actuators so they would actually work and raise the screen evenly and high enough so I could walk under it (I'm 6' 4").

Here is a video of just my frame lifting up and down. This is all wireless and works great. Please excuse the mess and I had lots going one! :)

Also the video is very jurky as I never thought to put the camera on a tripod.

I will post a video later, in this thread, with the frame and screen going up and down.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Time to paint the speaker boxes.

I started with the Atmos. I painted them white so they would match the ceiling.

I didn't worry to much about the finish as they are to be installed on a vaulted ceiling.

I painted the rest of the boxes black with a truck box liner paint. This gave them a shiny but stippled texture that I found appealing.

I again didn't worry about finish on the speakers behind the screen but I did worry about the speakers that were around the room. I used auto body filler to make the speakers look seamless.

Finally have all the boxes Painted.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well my room is coming along well and I finally decided to order some equipment.

I have had a marantz pre/pro system (MM8003 amp and AV8003) for many years So I decided to go with the same idea from my theater room.

My list of equipment is as follows

Marantz AV8802A
Marantz MM7055
Marantz MM8077
Pinoeer BDP-88FD
Lumagen XS - 3D
Behringer inuke nu3000dsp (for the subs) - This is the only equipment that I was unsure of and any suggestions on something better would be welcome.

I wasn't sure on a component stand so I got this off of Kijiji for $100 and I'm pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Installing the surround speakers and atmos speakers

I finished putting up the surround speakers which ended up being a chore as I was doing it myself...

Ever try holding up a box, making it level and trying to screw it all in at the same time? What a pain :laugh:

Ok so I got them hung up and luckily I already had this room wired for these speakers when it was being built.

I had to get some help to install the 4 atmos speakers. As you can see there was no speaker wire in the walls for these speakers as this room was built 4 years ago and I am finally putting it together now. So I Atmos wasn't in the plan 4 years ago. :(

I have a plan for the atmos wires and how to make it look good but it will have to wait for another post.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well my room is coming along well and I finally decided to order some equipment.

I have had a marantz pre/pro system (MM8003 amp and AV8003) for many years So I decided to go with the same idea from my theater room.

My list of equipment is as follows

Marantz AV8802A
Marantz MM7055
Marantz MM8077
Pinoeer BDP-88FD
Lumagen XS - 3D
Behringer inuke nu3000dsp (for the subs) - This is the only equipment that I was unsure of and any suggestions on something better would be welcome.

I wasn't sure on a component stand so I got this off of Kijiji for $100 and I'm pretty happy with it.

Wow! The finishing is amazing!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Ok, So I got the screen up on my motorized lift.

In this video I didn't lift it all the way up but it will lift high enough for me to walk under it comfortably (I'm 6'4")

I have a 12 volt power supply that is plugged into an insteon on/off oulet which is then connect to my insteon hub. The hub is then connected to my harmony hub.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Today I started installing my wires for the Atmos as well as my projector.

AS you know from earlier posts I have an issue with throw distance so I went with a wide angle conversion lens (Navitar ScreenStar HDSSW065).

The projector I went with is a PoweLite Home Cinema 5030UB.

The only draw back with having a ceiling mount for this coupling of projector and lens was that there was only one projector mount I could get (Chief Manufacturing). So it took a little longer to get the projector installed that I thought it would but it turned out great in the end.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Today I started installing my wires for the Atmos as well as my projector.

AS you know from earlier posts I have an issue with thro distance so I went with a wide angle conversion lens (Navitar ScreenStar HDSSW065).

The projector I went with is a PoweLite Home Cinema 5030UB.

The only draw back with having a ceiling mount for this coupling of projector and lens was that there was only one projector mount I could get (Chief Manufacturing). So it took a little longer to get the projector installed that I thought it would but it turned out great in the end.

So how do you like the Navitar...now that it's installed? Did it do the trick for you?

Reactions: anandrao

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So how do you like the Navitar...now that it's installed? Did it do the trick for you?
I love it! There is only one small problem in that there is a slight problem with not being able to focus the far edges of the screen. Not a huge problem as I only notice it when I have text on the screen which is not on the center of the screen.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.