AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I first heard about the Flex-12's I've been interested in building a pair. I've got 2 18's in my basement TV room and they've left a bit to be desired in the higher frequencies. The 18's now live in the back of the room fairly nearfield. Trying to find a home for 2 more subs was going to be difficult, so it was time to get creative. Looking around my room, I couldn't help but notice that I've chopped up my ikea TV stand several times to make room for different equipment combinations. The latest modification was to make room for my center channel. I've since built an equipment rack for most of my gear and will eventually move the rest over there. It just seems like the TV stand is the logical place for this project, so my hacked up TV stand will be making it's way to the garbage soon.

First I ordered the baffles and woofers from Erich at DIYSG

The port cutouts looked huge so I had to double check. Fits like a glove.

Then it was off to see @eng-399 . His theater room is out of this world! SO MUCH BASS! We may or may have not gotten a little distracted watching movie clips down there. Then we had to go around his house and close all of the drawers that been shaken open from our spirited listening.

It was about 10 degrees out and a little snowy so we skipped the trip to the depot and used the MDF he had chilling in his garage. That really came in handy.

He also had this cool track for his saw which kept cuts super straight.

So we got to work on cutting and gluing.

2hrs later we had 2 boxes glued up and decided to call it a day.

The TV stand will be built around the 2 boxes. The boxes will face left and right as opposed to straight forward to offset movement so that the TV doesn't shake.

Will update as build continues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
634 Posts
Awesome idea, looking forward to watching this take shape.

It should be pointed out early that your pair of Flexes is going to be somewhat modified, with the blessing of the designer mtg90. I only say that because when I saw the pic of the baffle my first thought was "oops!"... I'm sure other eagle-eyed DIYers will be thinking the same thing. :)

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@antisuck you're right. The boxes are shorter and deeper than the original to allow for a better height overall height for my television. Careful planning has made to keep the overall volume the same and a shelf brace is being used behind the ports to maintain tuning frequency.

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
The shelf brace will be perfectly placed behind the flared port as @mtg90 has suggested. We want this to be as close as Matt designed the first box. The sub is one mean looking sub with the size of magnet on it. When you see it in person you know it's going to handle the power and sound good once it's in the right box.

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
So the plan is to do this for the bracing

The back piece of mdf is going to be glued 1" away from the back of the Percision ports. Also the everything in the picture will be glued. All this will be done tonight...
We also decided to do a double baffle for the front so I cut a piece out that mirrors the baffle. That will glued Brad nailed and clamped together.

I'll post more pictures tomorrow after everything is glued and dries tonight.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike was nice enough to knock out the bracing on his day off. Lots of texts going back and forth but we have progress. We have the box ready for insulation. I hope to be able to shoot over there this weekend and grab the boxes. Then the furniture building process begins. As I mentioned before, the center channel is going to be sandwiched in between the subs. Since this is a somewhat custom job an in an effort to save myself from upgraditus later I think I scored a used center channel that will be a better match for my mains. It's their top of the line center, so I should cover my bases there, but it changes a few dimensions so we shall see how that plays out. Waiting to hear back from the seller. Need to get that locked down before I make any final decisions that can't be easily changed. @Eng-99 was nice enough to send more pictures.

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
Tomorrow morning I'll be heading over to menards to grab the blue wool insulation to line the inside of the box. I'll also dry fit the baffle once again to make sure everything is a nice fit before they get glue together.

The plan for the baffles after I dry fit them is to brush on wood glue evenly all over it sandwich them together throw a couple of Brad nails into it so they stay lined up and don't move while I clamp and thrown some weight on them to dry dry over night. When doing these boxes or any other box it's a waiting game for the glue or pl to dry. I prefer taking these steps with the glue drying so I don't have any issues with things moving around on me.
I have to stay when we heard these play everyone was impressed with the sound these 2 mbm's produced. Truly amazing and really complemented my lcr in my room. I would highly recommend these to other fellow avs guys that want to improve there midbass for affordable price. The magnet and build quality of the 12 is really nice. When you get the Magnum 12" sub in your hands you feel like there worth the money and going to sound good with the proper box.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Tomorrow morning I'll be heading over to menards to grab the blue wool insulation to line the inside of the box. I'll also dry fit the baffle once again to make sure everything is a nice fit before they get glue together.

The plan for the baffles after I dry fit them is to brush on wood glue evenly all over it sandwich them together throw a couple of Brad nails into it so they stay lined up and don't move while I clamp and thrown some weight on them to dry dry over night. When doing these boxes or any other box it's a waiting game for the glue or pl to dry. I prefer taking these steps with the glue drying so I don't have any issues with things moving around on me.
I have to stay when we heard these play everyone was impressed with the sound these 2 mbm's produced. Truly amazing and really complemented my lcr in my room. I would highly recommend these to other fellow avs guys that want to improve there midbass for affordable price. The magnet and build quality of the 12 is really nice. When you get the Magnum 12" sub in your hands you feel like there worth the money and going to sound good with the proper box.
Hi Mike, I'm not sure if I missed it - why are you doubling up the front baffle? Can you please post some pictures of that driver?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not certain it's necessary, but the baffle has a nice recess in it for the driver to sit in. At the point where the driver attaches to the baffle it's less than 1/2" thick. We needed something to seat the screws in anyway so decided a double baffle would be best.

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
Hi Mike, I'm not sure if I missed it - why are you doubling up the front baffle? Can you please post some pictures of that driver?

Take a look on how thin the wood is on the baffle where the sub gets mounted to. I'm nervous about something bad happening when the sub gets mounted to it. So if a make a second baffle it will be good to go and I won't ever wonder if Mike S will have any problems down the road.

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
The original plan was to have plywood behind it for the sub to get mounted to but after thinking about your better safe then sorry. There's always that what if I did that to it after something goes wrong...

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
Here's what I did this morning I cut the second baffle and dry fitted it into the box. After that I wiped down both baffles with a damp rag and let them dry.

Next I put wood glue on the baffle spread it out and installed the second baffle to that and moved it around so the glue would be even all over the surface.

I then shot 4 Brad nails into it so the baffle wouldn't move when I put the weights on it for it to dry tonight. I waited a about 2 minutes for the glue to come out of the sides and everywhere else and had my little helper wipe all the glue off for me.

I'm trying to teach my son a little bit about everything I do day to day around the house so I thought this was a good thing to do and learn about just basic wood working stuff.
Anyways all the weights are now in the baffle and it will sit over night.
Time to start on the second one...

1 - 20 of 106 Posts