AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st my appoligise for my typing and spelling I'm not great at this.

- I have been searching and reading and googling my head hurts. So I come to you all for advise and help.

My current set up is a sxrd60xbr2 , calibrated and using the PS3 for blurays and the odd dvd.

I am looking at the Sony vpl-vw60 and a screen size of 92" made by draper it will be a tab-tapered moterised screen. My room is 10ft wide, my front speakers with the right angle take up about 1ft so with the 92" screen or 80" total width [if my measurment is right this should leave enough room on each end for the speaker and not be close to the wall for reverb.

I can sit up to 14ft away from the screen while still leaving 4-1/2 to 5ft from the back wall.

Now that you know my life story my questions are...

1. How are the draper screens I can't find many reviews on them is 2200$ a good price?. Or should I look at something else? I need retractible and sturdy as it will not be against the wall completly.

2.are my measurments good enough or do I need more room or should I be closer? [I sit around 10ft away from my 60inch right now.

3. I really love my 60XBR2 will the screen size / screen brand and the vw60 come at least to the quality in picture? [Again my XBR is calibrated and the colors/contrast/black lvl / and "pop" is pretty beautiful] Ofcourse the Black Pearl will get a calabration done.

I think thats got it for now.

EDIT: This will be used strickly for movies only I will have a 42" plasma set up in the room

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
1. I don't have much experience with Draper screens so I can't comment on there. There are a couple of screen rundowns around the net. I know that projectorcentral did one a few years ago...it is probably a bit dated right now. You may try the screens forum.

2. I think you'd want to be a bit closer. Check this excellent thread for a guide on how to determine optimal screen size for your projector/room
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=753497&page=1

Also take a look at this calculator:
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/v...alculator.html

3. In a word: yes... It is of course a bit more work to get an optimal picture from a front projector...there are a lot more factors that go into things (the room characteristics, ambient light, reflections, etc)...but you can achieve every bit as impressive picture from FP.

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
I don't have experience with a draper screen, but $2.2k seems high.

As to your question about whether the VW60 will look as good as the XBR2 - I have an 60" XBR2 as well. I also have an RS-1 with a 110" screen. I find the picture on the RS-1 to be much better than the XBR2. More pop, sharper, better contrast, and no DI.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
You should do a bit more reading hear and ask some more questions. Although it sounds like you know what you want now with a little time spent reading and viewing some products you possibly will change your mind.

Call AVS for pricing. You didn't mention what material you were picking with the screen but you can certainly get a matte white tensioned screen for less than that.

There's a wealth of knowledge here. Dont rush it

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
$2200 for a Draper could be super expensive, super cheap, or just right. We'd need to know the specifics on it (fabric, model, options, etc...).

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi ,

Thanks for the replies. All I know is it's 1.3gain , tab tensions matte white or 1300 was the model # for it. I know for sure I'm going the Black Pearl route, just the screen thing is killing me. I have read bad things about pull down screens. This will be an auto pull down. And I'm worried about a draft moving the screen and all those little things.

So I'm trying on a work around and going to a fixed 92" screen but then I need to worry about the 42" plasma and placing it.

I wish I knew how to upload pictures maybe that would help you guys to get a feel for my room.

Thanks again for the help, I'm still searching..

P.S. How do I contact AVS for pricing??

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Feel free to drop me a note or call.

That sounds a bit high, but then there are many tabtensioned models so it may not be. It would be the M1300 if it is tensioned (which is technical matte).

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
AVS is a good retailer to buy from. 14' back from a screen that small seems too far to me. That 92" at 10' is going to look much better.

A properly setup VW60 looks better than any of the Sony SXRDs that I have seen.

I have a 70" JVC DILA RPTV that has comparable picture quality to a SXRD RP. A properly setup RS1 looks better than my RPTV by a lot and it is pretty similar to the VW60 in picture quality.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts