Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/pre-releases.htm

When on website scroll down and see with your own eyes just how many 4:3 VS LTBX there is and how may 1.0(mono) versus 2.0DS(pro-logic) and 5.1DD(Dolby Digital) this list goes into the end of 6/24/03!

I found this surfing to give the rest of AVS and the lurkers. I believe this is a *major* setback for widescreen DVD disc watching!

Title Release date OAR* Sound

*Predator 2 2/4/03 4:3 sound 1.0(I have it R-4 1.85:1 5.1)

The Day the Earth Stood Still 3/4/03 4:3 sound 1.0

Journey To the Center of the Earth 3/04/03

4:3 sound 1.0

Questions, shoulder to lean on, R.S.V.P.

(Respondo Su Ve Ple~Respond if you please)

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I take that with a very large grain of salt. Peter Staddon of Fox has just stated that all Fox releases for R1 will be OAR. They will probably have a 4:3 version available, but it won't be the only one.

Troy

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you seen the star and the question

about *Predator 2, I thought it would be good to get to know Doug; so I shot this e-mail off to him. Here is what I sent, I can if you wish put on his automatic reply.:)

E-mail message

Date: Wed, Dec 4, 2002, 12:47am

To: [email protected] ,

@webtv.net

Subject: Predator 2, a question Doug

In your list you have it as 4:3 sound 1.0, I have had it for a couple of months from Region 4, are you sure your information is right? Lots of friends are awaiting this title but not in 4:3. I already told them the OAR of "Predator 2" is 1.85:1 and 5.1 Dolby Digital.

Doug I have a region free DVD player bought in USA with ICOS mod. The distributor had it on the page, I immediately told them when it comes in to notify me. I was on buying Jaws 3 which is not available in R1 and seen the Predator 2 was in stock I immediately ordered it, the running time is 103 minutes. The only extra is the Original Trailer, It has a dual layer single sided disc.

I found this out in my research there was to be a third or trilogy, but Kevin Peter Hall the 7'6" actor died of A.I.D.S. and Stan Winston couldn't find anyone to fill his Predator suit.

It sounds a bit like Firefox, but then also in my research I found out the 1931 "Frankenstein" by director Ted Browning. Who along with Actor Colin Clive made the 2nd of a planned 3 film release "The Bride of Frankenstein" 1935. All was going well but in 1937 just 2 years after Bride, Colin Clive died 1898-1937 he was only 39 years old. He will be remembered a 1,000 years from now with his cry "It's Alive, It's Alive" when he seen that the lightning had restored Frankenstein to life.

Doug I hope this helps your list, I own a RCA F-38310 W/S HDTV and 4 DVD players for entertainment in my 'life' in my apartment. Regards :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I agree that the Predator 2 listing seems odd, but The Day the Earth Stood Still is in Academy ratio, which is just about 4:3, and was also mono, so what else were you expecting from the DVD?

As for Journey to the Center of the Earth, it depends on which of the many versions you're talking about, but I'm sure there's one that Academy and mono.

Remember, not everything is originally widescreen and in surround sound, a lot of stuff (like the many TV shows that your website lists) is still 4:3 and mono.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Originally posted by ecopoesis:

"As for Journey to the Center of the Earth, it depends on which of the many versions you're talking about, but I'm sure there's one that Academy and mono."

Nope...JTTCOTE was filmed in CinemaScope and with directional Stereo sound, thus any DVD release SHOULD only be wide-screen with a directional Stereo soundtrack (Dolby Pro-Logic will do as long it retains front channel directionality)... :rolleyes:

-THTS

·
Registered
117 Posts
I agree it doesn't look good, but the list is a lot of stuff I wouldn't buy anyway. They look like cheap discs to sell to non selective consumers. WE should not "feed their habit" and maybe they will start processing in better sound and video!

·
Registered
27,141 Posts
HOB,

I read over the list of films. What kind of list is this? It could be titled ' A select list of garbage that comes out on DVD!'

I found about 5-10 titles out of the few hundred that were of any interest.

Almost the entire list of films are oddities that few would ever care about. Not exactly big sellers. These are probably films that the studio's provide only to round out a catalog.

Notice there wasn't one recent Hollywood blockbuster or mainstream film in the entire list!

My guess is that these are the films that few care about. The sample certainly isn't indicative of everything that is released! It is just some odd, undefined sample.

Read widescreen review, each month's issue contains just about all the monthly widescreen releases. They also list what films are to be released on DVD in the upcoming months. That list shows a multuitude of letterbox titles to be released over the next few months.

This link is but some unknown person's undefined list of DVDs to be released. It means nothing (accept to its author).

When we start seeing the likes of Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Amelie, Harry Potter, etc., etc. released only in a Pan and Scan, Dolby Digital 2.0 then we'll worry.

To put creedance into this unknown list from the abyss that is the internet is misguided.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
thebland,

Your trash, my treasure...

Just glancing at it, I see two on the list scheduled for P&S I'd like to get if they were OAR.

Just because something's older, and/or not meeting everyones standard of a 'quality' film, doesn't mean in deserves a shoddy release.

And if someone wants to see "Killer Rats", they should get the benefit of seeing *all* of the killer rats, not just most of them ;)

·
Registered
946 Posts
hob-

I wouldn't worry too much about Predator 2. DVDfile has it listed as anamorphic widescreen with 5.1 audio.

I would have real doubts about a few of the other titles on that list as well such as Cinema Paradiso the extended cut and Tadpole. Given the likely audience for these movies I can't believe Buena Vista would only release them in 4x3.

Most of that list, though, looks like the high quality crap you find in the Best Buy "bargain DVDs" rack.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree with you except for their is a Dolby Surround track out by Silva Screen on the same notes and instuments of the period. The same people that got the score from the City of Prague orhestra the movie is called "The Ninth Gate". Look at the ending credits, you will see that the Movie soundtrack was made before the movie in co-operation with Silva Screen Records.

I can play the TDTESS and JTTCOTE in Dolby Surround Pro-Logic with my Sennheiser 5 sounds into headphones with low OHM impedence. I use Denon 30 OHM impedance to hear the PQ sound generated by National Philharmonic of London Orchestra for Composing Master Bernard Herrman who composed both Stood Still (Michael Rennie) and Center of the Earth (James Mason)!

Under Great Film Music *all* in Dolby Surround, Journey to the Center of the Earth, The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Farenheit 451, and Gullivers Travels running time 72M04S. Silva Screen D-112660 (D for CD Disc). Care to do search on if this disc exists, no matter here is where you'll find your proof. Silva Screen Records name to search

or 800-757-7515 free call. Silva Screen Records, NYC, NY.

While you people listen to 'mono' I'll switch to Dolby Surround for my music audio then back for DVD, just a remote control switch. If theater goers in 1951 could hear what I can hear which is made partly with my marriage of two OOP devices that are all mine to listen to whenever I want to.

There was no singing in Stood Still, it was all instrumental, it probably will be 5.1 in another 'special' or 'Ultimate' edition, that's how greedy Hollywood thinks, also it will probably be the already *done* DS that I have had for years. IMHO :)

·
Registered
976 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thebland

Read widescreen review, each month's issue contains just about all the monthly widescreen releases. They also list what films are to be released on DVD in the upcoming months. That list shows a multuitude of letterbox titles to be released over the next few months.

Jeff
WSR is not that complete. After all, Scarlet Diva is MIA from the WSR list. OK, so none of you watch movies like this, and I will admit this is a horrible film, but for 2 minutes (chap. 6) you get to see Asia Argento shaving her arm pit, completely nekked in front of a mirror. If WSR can list a movie like Eugenie: The Story of Her Journey Into Perversion, why can't they list AA's feature directorial debut?

Also, WSR lists 29 dvd releases for Dec. 3. This just sounds too low.

Akira, DTS

Alphabet City

Arjuna: Journey

Austin Powers In Goldmember, Widescreen

Bad Influence

Blue Steel

Body Of Evidence

Children’s Hour, The

Company Business

Dead Of Winter

Duellists, The

Happy Times

Kiss Before Dying, A, 1956

Legend Of The Lost

Life And Art Of Ernst Ludwig Kirchner

Lilo & Stitch

Marlene Dietrich: Her Own Song

Miami Blues

Producers, The, 1968

Quiet Days In Clichy

Road To Hong Kong, The

Rush

Serpico

Siddhartha

State Of Grace

War And Peace, 1956

Where Sleeping Dogs Lie

Where’s Poppa?

Whistle Blower, The

For instance, The Breed, Dreamers, Last Run, Wanted Dead or Alive, etc. are absent from their list. And why don't they include full frame releases like My Neighbor Totoro? Don't subscribers want to buy this too?

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have just read the numbers in the January 2003 edition of Stereophile:Guide to Home Theater, Less than 1% of *all* American homes have HDTV TV sets. There are so many consumer groups against Digital it isn't funny, add to that the broadcasters.

Are we a very limited social club of in their eyes, misfits that don't like full screen? I have never voted ever, I don't think I ever will with congress behind the MPAA taking away all our rights to record discs. I hope this whole list is completly wrong but what I read I don't know.

We video or audio philes are going to be a rare species, but count me on buying all things digital in discs. Try to show everyone what wide screen discs on HDTVs are all about who will join me body and soul against the corrupt establishment?:)

·
Registered
27,141 Posts
No widescren is not complete. However, they do pretty darn well.

.....but as I said, this list is from no where, authored by a no one and given the number of personal selections and omissions has no real value.

It certainly is not a 'reference' list of releases by any means.

More aptly, it seems more like a list of more esoteric films. Certainly not a cross section of all that is available. Moreover, not a list to draw broad, sweeping conclusions about widescreen releases.

JEff

·
Registered
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hob

I can play the TDTESS and JTTCOTE in Dolby Surround Pro-Logic with my Sennheiser 5 sounds into headphones with low OHM impedence. I use Denon 30 OHM impedance to hear the PQ sound generated by National Philharmonic of London Orchestra for Composing Master Bernard Herrman who composed both Stood Still (Michael Rennie) and Center of the Earth (James Mason)!

Under Great Film Music *all* in Dolby Surround, Journey to the Center of the Earth, The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Farenheit 451, and Gullivers Travels running time 72M04S. Silva Screen D-112660 (D for CD Disc). Care to do search on if this disc exists, no matter here is where you'll find your proof. Silva Screen Records name to search

or 800-757-7515 free call. Silva Screen Records, NYC, NY.

While you people listen to 'mono' I'll switch to Dolby Surround for my music audio then back for DVD, just a remote control switch. If theater goers in 1951 could hear what I can hear which is made partly with my marriage of two OOP devices that are all mine to listen to whenever I want to.

There was no singing in Stood Still, it was all instrumental, it probably will be 5.1 in another 'special' or 'Ultimate' edition, that's how greedy Hollywood thinks, also it will probably be the already *done* DS that I have had for years. IMHO :)
What??? :confused:

You're into finding colorized versions of films also, I guess!!!

You know, there is the audio equivalent of OAR!!!! (Original Aspect Ratio)

It's called OAR (Original Audio Recording!!!)

Check it out some time.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
>>>And why don't they include full frame releases like My Neighbor Totoro? Don't subscribers want to buy this too?

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You have you choice I have mine, yes I look for colorized movies that I like ever since I found "The Thing from Another World" looked great.

ThomC you were born into a world of color I was born into a Black and White and only at the movie theater could I see color. I could *only* see so many color films at the town theater called The Capital, tickets were 25¢ for children and 35¢ for adults.

When we got our still working Admiral tv in 1954 *all* was black and white until around 1965, that's 21 years of seeing hardly any color movies and no color tv. You would have to live in my era to understand fully.:)

·
Registered
135 Posts
...ahh... hob, my man, I lived in your 'era' - and I don't understand even partly, let alone fully, what you're on about... b/w movies (in the cinema) were probably still prevalent in the 1950s, yes, but three-strip Technicolor had been around since the mid 'Thirties and had been frequently used by all the 'big' studios (the 'poverty row' small studios used Cinecolor, or Trucolor)... heck, if you had the money, by the mid-'Fifties you could even buy a color TV and watch Dinah Shore in glorious if garish hues...

...all of which doesn't change the fact that 'colorizing' movies that were originally b/w is the eighth deadly sin (with 'surroundizing' originally mono soundtracks a close second - let's say the ninth deadly sin)...

...all just mnsho, natch!

Peace!

. . . :eek: . . .

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I guess that makes a video and audio sinner, I can live with that. You see if they made all color movies then you purists could *turn* off the color. They don't give us that option do they? I think a world of only Black and White would be awfully bleak IMHO.

You were born a 1/2 century too late and I was born 1/2 a century too early!

·
Registered
728 Posts
yeah when are they going to get around to colorizing "The Hustler" and "7 Samurai" already. These movies need some pastels splashed around.

Looking at the list... HEY! Another reason its not all bad to have a 4:3 projector... The Three Stooges 3-pack in OAR of 4:3! Word

And the Osbournes uncensored... sweet

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I just figured it out... Hob is.... Ted Turner!!!

Though you do have to wonder why The Day The Earth Stood Still never had the privoledge of colorization. Curious that.

Anyway, as my lasting tribute to mankind I have started that process. I just finished my first frame! Wanna see it! Well then today IS your lucky day! I've attached it below!

1 down, only 132,479 to go!

- Rick

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.