AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved recently to a house apartment that I am renting from my sister. Divorce causes these things to happen, but, I got out with all my HT gear intact! The house, 12' ceilings, man are they up there. The walls are at least 20" thick, solid stone with plaster over top. The room is 11' wide x 23' long, getting some idea what I'm dealing with. The deed was done Thursday with the help of my friends Dan, and Mike Parker who came up from the D.C. area to help out. Dan is the man, he did the construction work of putting up the unistrut and mount, BIG step ladders. I was concerned with damage to the plaster ceiling, when you tighten up strut to a plaster ceiling it usually causes cracks because over time it begins to drop. He figured out to us some 3/8" pipe nipples 1 1/2" long between the strut and ceiling, no cracks and it looked good. we used 7" 3/8" lag bolts since they were going through the nipples and lost some length there, and then screwed into the 3 1/2" wide x 16" joists. Old house, about 150 years old. Mike and I got the G-70 ready to go up, changed the jumpers for ceiling mounting, it was on a table before, and attached the mount plate to the bottom of the pj. Then we attached the bottom pipe section of the Sony APM-2446 (adjustable height suspension adapter) to the mount plate on the pj, while Dan attached the upper section to the unistrut. Mike then showed us how to figure out the proper height and location for the screen and how set the projector to that. We lifted the pj onto a dry wall lift and raised it, lower pipe into the upper pipe. Mike then secured the adapter pipes together with the bolts required. He then made sure we had everything level all around, only had to make very minor adjustments here. Finished, we stood back looking, we all agreed it was a very good install. I can say that I'm very happy with it. Tomorrow I will run the power to the pj, need to use Wiremould conduit on the wall since I can't get into the walls. The same for the RGB cable.

I would just like to thank Dan and Mike for all the hard work done on this install, I just couldn't't have done it without them. And thanks Mike for coming all the way up to help out. I hope to have you back again soon so we can get the thing calibrated and see what it can do with your mod. We can then hang out watch movies and talk HT talk.

Thank again guys

John

·
Registered
446 Posts
John

Sorry to hear about your parting but some of us have been that road

sounds as though the installation is looking good you will be most surprised at the definition of the G70 Great that people are assisting each other on this forum look forward to hearing how things look once converge

is done

:cool:

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
It was a real pleasure to come up, the gracious hospitality compels my next visit. That is one neat little town. I'm really looking forward to returning to help with that G70.

I really enjoyed helping out, there is a hobby side for me as well. I have met some very special people while being on this forum, John is one of them. I've known him over a year and it did not take long before a friendship developed, plus his mom can really hook up a meal. :) She'll make you feel like you're someone special.

We took the aproach on this install to mount the projector to the perfect viewing angle (seating position), while having the projector at a perfect null point (level, full reset), the screen will be mounted last within the estimated viewing location. This setup should yield less drive on the tubes (for dot size tuning/tube life) as well as less stress on the projectors circuits. The room is perfect for this.

This is a fun project.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike, my door is always open and you are welcome anytime. It is fun to play at this hobby with people like you which make it great. Can't wait to get the screen up for an excuse to have you back again soon.

Kenny, yes with good friends like Mike and Dan even the toughest part wasn't bad, we actually had fun!

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.