AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be using this TV for gaming and blu-ray/DVD movies. Not much SD watching.

I need good blacks, GREAT response time, and no motion blur if possible. And of course an excellent image. I'll get speakers later so sound isn't much of a problem.

Which one of these should I get and why:

Samsung LN40A750

Sharp Aquos LC42D64U

Sony Bravia Z-Series KDL-40Z4100/B

·
Registered
214 Posts
Let me preface this by saying I own the Sharp unit that you are looking into. Of the units you show here it is by far the least expensive (especially after a good sale), it is the least technologically advanced considering it's last years model and the others you are showing have been recently released.

Samsung LN40A750

Don't own it, never seen it other than it's sibling the 6 series unit, which I must say with the 120hz was very impressive. So check out the online review if you haven't already. From the looks of things it's upwards of $1.5k plus.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-32815271.html

Sharp Aquos LC42D64U

In my opinion the blacks are good (I can't complain about them), response time is not an issue for me and motion blur is of course there, but in my opinion is not bad. Image quality is excellent, with tweaks of course, and the banding on my set is minimal now. Speaking of which, the Sharps have had problems with banding and I believe the best you can hope for is a unit that has such minimal banding that you won't notice it during normal viewing. But I use the TV connected to my PS3 and it is AWSOME. Blu-rays rock, DVD's are VERY nice upconverted, depending upon the actual quality of the movie and games are great on it. Recent deals have had it as low as $1.3k.

Sony Bravia Z-Series KDL-40Z4100/B

I don't own this set and I've never seen it. But from the looks of things it is upwards of $2k. So check out the online review.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...tag=prod.txt.1

·
Registered
56 Posts
Being Impartial at this point between Samsung & Sony, and although Sharp used to be my favorite manufacturer:

1. Sony (Has it's problems, but I havn't seen anyone claiming this set has alot of input lag)

2. Samsung (Has a different set of problems, but a few people have mentioned it has input lag)

3. Sharp (Has its problems, not mentions of input lag but, the picture itself is sub-par to the other two)

·
Registered
47 Posts
go with the Sony Z4100 i just seen all three side by side running the same content and the Sony has the edge.

1. Sony

2. Samsung

3. Sharp

I would stay away from the sharp because it has alot of motion blur. with all three lined up the sharp almost makes me dizzy looking at it compared to the sony and samsung. samsung has come along way since last year with there 120hz but sony still has the edge.

with the samsung you do have the deepest blacks but you loose some detail in your blacks were the sony has nice blacks but keeps the detail of how is should look. also the samsung tends to washout skin tones. the sharp is looses so much detail in its color range i would not recommend one to anyone unless you want a cheep lcd. the best to brands by fare are Sony and Samsung

i feel that the sony has a better color range that is deeper and wider.

if it were my money i would buy the sony followed by the samsung

·
Registered
160 Posts
Try a Panasonic TC-37LZ85 or the TC-37LZ800 too.

I bought the LZ85 for PS3, PC use. Its not a high profile model but for your needs its good ... and its much less expensive. Overall the viewing angles are superb and so are the colors.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1048398

The LZ800 has 120Hz like capabilities and a clear panel. Seems both use the same panel made by IPS Alpha. A little more than the LZ85 yet affordable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4nash /forum/post/14315135

go with the Sony Z4100 i just seen all three side by side running the same content and the Sony has the edge.

1. Sony

2. Samsung

3. Sharp

I would stay away from the sharp because it has alot of motion blur. with all three lined up the sharp almost makes me dizzy looking at it compared to the sony and samsung. samsung has come along way since last year with there 120hz but sony still has the edge.

with the samsung you do have the deepest blacks but you loose some detail in your blacks were the sony has nice blacks but keeps the detail of how is should look. also the samsung tends to washout skin tones. the sharp is looses so much detail in its color range i would not recommend one to anyone unless you want a cheep lcd. the best to brands by fare are Sony and Samsung

·
Registered
94 Posts
Z4100 or even the cheaper W4100 if you plan on alot of gaming.

I have a W4100, didnt want to fork out for the Z. If you have the $ go Z4100

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you take price into consideration, you should look at the LN40A650 instead of the LN40A750 because it's almost the exact same TV and a bit cheaper. I have the LN46A650 and it's great for Blu-ray and my PS3.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4nash /forum/post/14315135

1. Sony

2. Samsung

3. Sharp

Enjoy your sparkles.

The Samsung has the better picture and is the closest to ISF 6500 right out of the box. You don't lose any shadow detail and fleshtones are right on. If you don't believe me just go to the ISF calibration post and look at the rave reviews the 650/750 are getting. The Sonys have problems getting the correct colors, they correct one and it throws another off, they correct that one and the other is off again.

Good luck with your decision, but Samsung is the way to go.

I own a Samsung 750 and did lots of research before buying my first set.

Mosh~~

·
Registered
1,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcd29 /forum/post/14319534

Sparkles??

Yes sparkles, in the upper part of the screen there are random sparkles that happen. Sony says this is normal, kinda reminds me of the whole smearing thing.

Post 2915 here is a calibration report on the 750.

I forgot to mention that the Sonys have the same amount of lag as the Samsungs do.

Mosh~~

·
Registered
1,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4nash /forum/post/14319688

the samsung vs the sony right out of the box the sony looks better. i have not seen any sparkles and the samsung does loose some detail in there blacks. i just seen them side by side so don't tell me something you have not see side by side! i don't care what some review says until you see it first hand side by side you should just step off the bus mosh!

Whoa! Someones panties got in a bunch in a hurry. I show proof that the sammy is better and you get defensive. Go read the owners thread and do a search for sparkles, they even have a video. I have seen both TVs side by side and the sammy is better, sorry.

Show me one review from a reputible site that says the Sony is better, you can't, they all say the Sammy is better.

I will step off the bus once I fasten your seatbelt.

Mosh~~

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Side by side out of the box means nothing, zero, zilch especially at a store. If you want to compare two sets, calibrate them both and view them in the same environment.

·
Registered
892 Posts
whoa, a good deal of mud slinging going on in this thread. mostly of owners defending their purchase "my tv is better than your tv blah blah blah"

to the OP, if you're mostly concerned about input lag and want the best PQ to go with it, I would say go with the Sony Z4100 or W4100 because you can adjust picture settings in game mode unlike the samsung.

fwiw I had both the W4100 and 650 side by side for a while and found that the 650 had nicer looking blacks and more pop during the day due to glossy screen and more accurate colors (maybe the Z4100 can match it since it isn't 8bit). however, come nightime. the W4100's blacks can get darker than the 650 and details in shadows are also much more visible and better on the sony.

with regards to the so called sparkles on the sonys, i don't think it's that big of a deal if you're not super picky about everything since you can't really see them unless you go looking for them and for me it doesn't affect the viewing experience at all--noise, grain and other normal picture artefacts are much worse. no tv is perfect in everyway, it depends which flaws annoy the person the most, so with every tv you gotta pick your poison, like they say.

btw I don't have the W4100 or 650 anymore returned them both because i want the best of the best so I'm waiting for either the samsung 950/780 or xbr8 with LED backlighting. if that doesn't work out I might then even go with the 9G pioneer kuro 5020 plasma.

·
Registered
47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolyte /forum/post/14319986

to the OP, if you're mostly concerned about input lag and want the best PQ to go with it, I would say go with the Sony Z4100 or W4100 because you can adjust picture settings in game mode unlike the samsung.

fwiw I had both the W4100 and 650 side by side for a while and found that the 650 had nicer looking blacks and more pop during the day due to glossy screen and more accurate colors (maybe the Z4100 can match it since it isn't 8bit). however, come nighttime. the W4100's blacks can get darker than the 650 and details in shadows are also much more visible and better on the sony.

very well said

·
Registered
1,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolyte /forum/post/14319986

whoa, a good deal of mud slinging going on in this thread. mostly of owners defending their purchase "my tv is better than your tv blah blah blah"

fwiw I had both the W4100 and 650 side by side for a while and found that the 650 had nicer looking blacks and more pop during the day due to glossy screen and more accurate colors (maybe the Z4100 can match it since it isn't 8bit). however, come nightime. the W4100's blacks can get darker than the 650 and details in shadows are also much more visible and better on the sony.

with regards to the so called sparkles on the sonys, i don't think it's that big of a deal if you're not super picky about everything since you can't really see them unless you go looking for them and for me it doesn't affect the viewing experience at all--noise, grain and other normal picture artefacts are much worse. no tv is perfect in everyway, it depends which flaws annoy the person the most, so with every tv you gotta pick your poison, like they say.

btw I don't have the W4100 or 650 anymore returned them both because i want the best of the best so I'm waiting for either the samsung 950/780 or xbr8 with LED backlighting. if that doesn't work out I might then even go with the 9G pioneer kuro 5020 plasma.

If you were using some of the old calibration settings then I would say yes that there was some black crush but the new calibration settings from ZeroG have eliminated that problem.

Good luck to the OP with whatever you decide,

Peace out

Mosh~~

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Don't fight, guys

I just wanted to know what the best one for my needs was gonna be.

I see the Sharp's no good, so it's between the Samsung and Sony.

Are LG's any good? I never hear anything about them.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts