AVS Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
14,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Check out our review of this heartwarming coming-of-age dramedy starring Dan Aykroyd, Jamie Lee Curtis, Macaulay Culkin and Anna Chlumsky. Chlumsky makes a memorable acting debut as Vada Sultenfuss, a precocious 11-year-old tomboy obsessed with death. Culkin is Thomas J., her best friend and boy next door who idolizes Vada. Their summer adventures – from first kiss to last farewell – introduce Vada to the world of adolescence.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 1991
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 102 minutes
Genre: Drama/Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English/Portuguese DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Japanese Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Portuguese, Arabic, Bulgarian, Czech, Danish, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian, Polish, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
Starring: Dan Aykroyd, Jamie Lee Curtis, Macaulay Culkin, Richard Masur, Anna Chlumsky, Griffin Dunne
Directed by: Howard Zieff
Music by: James Newton Howard
Written by: Laurice Elehwany
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 17, 2015

"I’ve got sunshine on a cloudy day…"

My Take:

My Girl is a heartwarming coming of age dramedy about the emotional awakening of a young girl in a small Pennsylvania town during the summer of 1972. Anna Chlumsky plays eleven-year-old Vada, a quiet child living with her widowed father Harry Dultenfuss (Dan Aykroyd), a local mortician who prepares bodies in his basement. Vada feels responsible for the death of her mother, who died giving birth to her, and lives in an emotional cocoon, her only friend being a personable local boy, Thomas J. Sennett (Macauly Culkin), who suffers from allergies. Like Vada, Harry keeps to himself, until a freelance make-up artist, Shelly DeVoto (Jamie Lee Curtis), comes to town and gets a job working with Harry. Shelly and Harry fall in love and Vada feels threatened by her presence. But then a personal tragedy forces Vada to come out of her emotional shell.

I haven’t seen this film in years but it still packs a solid one two punch in the comedy/drama department. The coming of age theme is aptly supported by plot points and nature of the character development. Dan Aykroyd isn’t much of a dramatic actor but seeing as the focus is primarily on the character of Vada this isn’t a problem. Anna Chlumsky hits it out of the park, essentially carrying the film, while sharing excellent chemistry with each of her co-stars. As a period piece I found those aspects of the film to be complimentary. All in all I found that My Girl holds up quite well and makes for a stirring and charming film that remains relevant.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for thematic content.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 78
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 86
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

My Girl comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 31 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.2 Mbps.

This is a solid looking high definition Blu-ray catalog release from Sony. Boasting a restoration at 4K resolution this presentation features clean, well depicted colors that offer a good mix of secondary hues that mate well with the source material. Resolution is definable with varying degrees of refinement that can be scene dependent. Sharpness wavers, which results in some scenes offering lucid clarity while others are noticeably lacking well defined edges and finely rendered detail. This doesn’t appear to be fidelity related but are innate and probably attributable to the use of lighting and the film stock used. Black and white levels are stable which gives a fair level of pop to colors and brighter exterior sequences while keeping darker or low lit segments looking noticeably punchy. Grain is present with film like rendering that occasionally takes on heavier emphasis but it never bothered me. I haven’t seen it on home video in years but am confident this presentation offers fans the opportunity to see it looking better than ever.

The lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio soundtrack readily handled the elements contained in the recording. The presentation retained a front loaded perspective with clearly reproduced dialogue. The soundstage is fairly wide with discernible front channel separation and good clarity. The rear channels supply ambient extension along with some discretely placed sounds that extend the soundfield and occasionally enhance envelopment. There is no low frequency detail mixed to the subwoofer but there really is little call for it. The elements in the recording never sounded thin or dynamically enemic and sounded just fine.

Bonus Features:
  • NEW Audio commentary with writer Laurice Molinari
  • NEW A day on set: Bingo – Mini featurette
  • NEW A day on set: First Kiss – Mini featurette
  • Original behind the scenes featurette – 6 minutes
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

My Girl is a heartwarming coming of age dramedy about the emotional awakening of a young girl in a small Pennsylvania town during the summer of 1972. Twenty plus years later it retains its luster and makes for a stirring and charming film that remains relevant. It makes its high definition debut from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring fully restored video, crystal clear lossless sound and a blend of legacy and new bonus material. If you’re a fan My Girl is a must own on Blu-ray. Enjoy!

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7702 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

1 - 1 of 1 Posts