AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, well it has been a week now, since my home PC hard drive Died.

Yes, on the morning that I usually do my back-up, it was making the dreaded Tick Tick noise. Hmmmm BIG Problems.

After many attempts at trying to recover anything at all off it, I remembered a tip from someone(HUGE THANKS) that if you put in the freezer for 1 hour, then put it back into the computer, it will sometimes be enough to get info off the failed drive.A joke right?

Well, I though no harm in trying as it is a paper weight now anyway.

It worked and I was able to pull everything off the disk.

Even better after 1 1/2 hrs I had everything backed up and off to buy a new hard drive. The wife came along and while we were shopping she said that we should really upgrade the rest of the PC. It is over 3 years old now, if we do this, then what is next to fail?

I couldn't argue with that so we started to look around, The home PC was a P3 800Mhz with 512Mb sd Ram, Seagate 20Gb HD, Pioneer 116 DVD drive, CD/RW drive, Firewire and USB2.0 cards.

I now have a brand new Toshiba 2450 Laptop, 2.66Ghz, 512Mb DDR, 30 GB HD, DVD/CD-RW , Firewire, USB2.0, IR port, SD card reader.

Man, how lucky can 1 guy be?

The P3 will now become the media server with possibly 10 big Hard Drives, definately in a RAID 5 config

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
I've told that tip to numerous people and 90% of them have succeeded to some extent, to recover data. I myself had used it and managed to recover about 90% of a drive's data. It should be mentioned that the drive needs to put into a ziplock freezer bag inside another freezer bag and ideally left overnight. If crystaline ice pellets form in the drive, you'll be out of luck.

One and a half hours of run time is alot for this trick so you were lucky indeed!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.