AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im bummed out. I got my HDA1 on April 16th and it has been playing flawlessly until last night.

I put in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas last night and while watching it the audio kept on going out of sync .When I paused it and hit play again it picked right back up and was working fine.

Tonight I went to put on V for Vendetta and the player said NOT PLAY and then gave me an on screen error message of 0x81000C03.It will play non-HDDVD's.

My firmware has been updated to firmware 2.0 since 8/30 and I have been enjoying TRUEHD ever since.

I called Toshiba and told them of my problems. They said it sounded like I didnt update my firmware after explaining that I had already done so we did a hard reboot and still no fix.

I have to pay for shipping to Toshiba but they said they will fix and ship back to me 2day FEDEX. I should have it back by the end of next week.

I am happy with the service that I have received from toshiba.

Anyone else have the same problems with their HDA1?

Thanks,

Michael

· Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone have similar problems???

I searched and found only one other person but it seemed like it had to do with not upgrading the firmware.

· Registered
4,697 Posts
My HD-A1 had issues playing HD DVDS as well, I called Tosh, discussed the issues, explained that I did everything they were going to ask me to do......

They gave me an SRR#, and I BROUGHT it to the repair facility myself(it will get fixed in Haverhill, MA, at Tops Electronics- 65 miles from me), I was out of there in 2 hrs with a new Mobo, Drive, and Flash Ram.

When I told the guy that I drove 65 miles to drop it off, he asked me to hold on, then he came back and said that if I WANTED to wait, I could get it back in a couple of hours.

Of course, I said YES, so I went CD shopping at Wallyworld!!!

Been working fine ever since.

I didn't get THAT error though, mine just said " NO DISC" whenever I tried to load an HD DVD.

Good Luck,

m

· Registered
464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz /forum/post/0

My HD-A1 had issues playing HD DVDS as well, I called Tosh, discussed the issues, explained that I did everything they were going to ask me to do......

They gave me an SRR#, and I BROUGHT it to the repair facility myself(it will get fixed in Haverhill, MA, at Tops Electronics- 65 miles from me), I was out of there in 2 hrs with a new Mobo, Drive, and Flash Ram.

When I told the guy that I drove 65 miles to drop it off, he asked me to hold on, then he came back and said that if I WANTED to wait, I could get it back in a couple of hours.

Of course, I said YES, so I went CD shopping at Wallyworld!!!

Been working fine ever since.

I didn't get THAT error though, mine just said " NO DISC" whenever I tried to load an HD DVD.

Good Luck,

m

Ah, good to know there's a service center in Haverhill, MA. Hopefully, I won't ever have to send my A1 there!

· Registered
2,797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milachy /forum/post/0

Im bummed out. I got my HDA1 on April 16th and it has been playing flawlessly until last night.

I put in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas last night and while watching it the audio kept on going out of sync .When I paused it and hit play again it picked right back up and was working fine.

Tonight I went to put on V for Vendetta and the player said NOT PLAY and then gave me an on screen error message of 0x81000C03.It will play non-HDDVD's.

My firmware has been updated to firmware 2.0 since 8/30 and I have been enjoying TRUEHD ever since.

I called Toshiba and told them of my problems. They said it sounded like I didnt update my firmware after explaining that I had already done so we did a hard reboot and still no fix.

I have to pay for shipping to Toshiba but they said they will fix and ship back to me 2day FEDEX. I should have it back by the end of next week.

I am happy with the service that I have received from toshiba.

Anyone else have the same problems with their HDA1?

Thanks,

Michael

Yes, I have had pretty much the same thing happen to mine. I unplugged it a few times and it eventually worked again. You know these HD-A1's are very tempermental. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. I had hoped for another Firmware update for this tank to address the various issues, but it looks like we will not get one.

~Josh

· Registered
6,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77 /forum/post/0

Yes, I have had pretty much the same thing happen to mine. I unplugged it a few times and it eventually worked again. You know these HD-A1's are very tempermental. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. I had hoped for another Firmware update for this tank to address the various issues, but it looks like we will not get one.

~Josh

Given the number of people who've reported this problem, relative to the number of people who have G1 players, I'd hardly refer to them generally as temperamental.

Your saying "this tank" clearly indicates you don't like it anyway, so why not sell it and get something you like?

· Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont think it is tempermental at all. It is just not working for me right now.I am disappointed but I still do believe that this has been the best $500 1st Gen CE product that I have ever purchased.

Did you unplug it over night? A few hours? Constantly unplug and replug it back in and it just decided to work?

Thanks again

· Premium Member
2,137 Posts
I had that same issue with my A1 before I returned it to crutchfield (I already had the A2 on pre-order, anyway). It continued to play SD discs just fine, but would give me the NOT PLAY error with all HD discs, and I tried about 5 or 6, including several brand new ones and a couple from Netflix. Since then, I had read somewhere that if you "re-install" the 2.0 FW, that it fixes the problem, but I had already returned the unit so did not get a chance to try it. I wanted the A2, anyway, since I wanted a slimmer form-factor for my stand. I've been extremely happy with the A2, although I did have a few glitches with Constantine (from Netflix) the other night. However, it was always in the same spot on the disc, so I think it was the disc and not the player. Otherwise, no problems. Hope you continue to enjoy your A1!

· Registered
4,697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolio /forum/post/0

Ah, good to know there's a service center in Haverhill, MA. Hopefully, I won't ever have to send my A1 there!

NOT "A" SC, THE SC for the Tosh HD DVD players.

Thats where they ALL get sent according to the guy at the counter, AND the Tosh CSR said the same thing.

· Registered
533 Posts
Just curious. Was your warranty up? Toshiba is currently charging me for the labor for this same problem. My player quit playing hd dvd's but would continue playing regular dvds. The parts are covered. However, I have to pay the labor costs. Which I think sucks especially since its new technology and at the time I didn't think I could get an extended warranty thru Value Electronics. Anyway, I got the same exact error that you were getting. I'm actually not happy with toshiba's CS.

· Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacos /forum/post/0

Just curious. Was your warranty up? Toshiba is currently charging me for the labor for this same problem. My player quit playing hd dvd's but would continue playing regular dvds. The parts are covered. However, I have to pay the labor costs. Which I think sucks especially since its new technology and at the time I didn't think I could get an extended warranty thru Value Electronics. Anyway, I got the same exact error that you were getting. I'm actually not happy with toshiba's CS.

Yes my warranty was up. She did say that I would have to pay for the labor charges at first. I politely told her that was not a nice thing to do to customers that have been supporting the format and if there was anything that could be done to overlook the fact that it was out of warranty for labor.She put me on hold and when she got back she told me that all I would have to do was pay for shipping to them and everything else would be taken care of by them.

I think the key is to be nice but firm.It has been my experience that if you treat the CS people kindly and with respect many will try to 'go that extra mile' for you.

Good Luck,

Michael

· Registered
533 Posts
Thanks for the response. I will be contacting Toshiba on Monday. I'm just going to explain that I read where several people are getting their machine fixed for free and that I feel as a supporter of the HD format and being new technology and all. That it doesn't seem really fair to have to pay to have my machine fixed. Seeing how I've only watched about 20 hd titles on it. I don't think the labor costs will be too high. But, 3 months isn't a long time on a 500 dollar machine. Thanks for your help. Also, I'm always kind to CS. However, I think I may have been too kind. I'll let you know how it goes.

· Registered
4,697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milachy /forum/post/0

Yes my warranty was up. She did say that I would have to pay for the labor charges at first. I politely told her that was not a nice thing to do to customers that have been supporting the format and if there was anything that could be done to overlook the fact that it was out of warranty for labor.She put me on hold and when she got back she told me that all I would have to do was pay for shipping to them and everything else would be taken care of by them.

I think the key is to be nice but firm.It has been my experience that if you treat the CS people kindly and with respect many will try to 'go that extra mile' for you.

Good Luck,

Michael

Pretty much the same deal here, only I had a Male CSR.

· Registered
83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk /forum/post/0

I had that same issue with my A1 before I returned it to crutchfield (I already had the A2 on pre-order, anyway). It continued to play SD discs just fine, but would give me the NOT PLAY error with all HD discs, and I tried about 5 or 6, including several brand new ones and a couple from Netflix. Since then, I had read somewhere that if you "re-install" the 2.0 FW, that it fixes the problem, but I had already returned the unit so did not get a chance to try it. I wanted the A2, anyway, since I wanted a slimmer form-factor for my stand. I've been extremely happy with the A2, although I did have a few glitches with Constantine (from Netflix) the other night. However, it was always in the same spot on the disc, so I think it was the disc and not the player. Otherwise, no problems. Hope you continue to enjoy your A1!

Where did you read reinstalling 2.0 fixes the problem?

· Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBull808 /forum/post/0

I'm only getting this error on one HD Disc. It plays all the others fine, weird?

An update....

After reading the above post I tried one of the first HDDVD's that I did purchase A View From Space. It played without a hitch..

Figured maybe whatever ailment my player was having decided to go away.I was wrong. I put Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas in and I got the error again.I put in Jarhead and Blazing Saddles and it plays fine. I Put V for Vendetta in (which has previously played flawlessly)and I get the error message: NOT PLAY Error code 0x81000c03.

I believe that FLILV was one of the films with a TRUEHD track and needed the 2.0 Firmware upgrade. Same thing For V for Vendetta.

Jarhead and A view From Space did not need the 2.0 Firmware and are now playing perfectly.

I will deal with not having the ability to play TRUEHD tracks on this player.

Does anyone have the 1.4 firmware update? Can it even be flashed back to it?

Thanks again

P.S. I think it $uck$ that the firmware just craps out like that.

· Registered
4,697 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong here, but I'm pretty sure that once you load 2.0, that you CAN reflash to 1.4.......

But it won't play HD DVDS.

It WILL play SD DVDS though, which is NOT why you bought it.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

· Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz /forum/post/0

Maybe I'm wrong here, but I'm pretty sure that once you load 2.0, that you CAN reflash to 1.4.......

But it won't play HD DVDS.

It WILL play SD DVDS though, which is NOT why you bought it.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

Heck even if I can just flash to 1.4 and then flash back to 2.0 just to see if that works I would tryit. Anyone with 1.4?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.